Flex pipe on exhaust.

Welder75

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261654
I changed the O2 sensor the other day on my wifes 2002 vw NB 2.0L. After, the exhaust was leaking . It's the flex hose from the manifold to the catalytic that is loose. How does that stay tight. No clamps. I can push it together and it seals., but then works loose again. AnY ideas?

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
I changed the O2 sensor the other day on my wifes 2002 vw NB 2.0L. After, the exhaust was leaking . It's the flex hose from the manifold to the catalytic that is loose. How does that stay tight. No clamps. I can push it together and it seals., but then works loose again. AnY ideas?
They're welded inline. It's not unknown for the flex joint or the welds to come apart, although usually it's the flex joint itself. See below for pictures of a similarly-constructed set of catalytic converters out of my old Passat, which I ended up replacing after I got tired of trying to bodge together fixes for the old flex joints. If you believe the catalytic converter itself is working well, and you're comfortable with taking it off the car, you could take the assembly to an exhaust shop to have the old one cut out and a new one welded in for you.

Jason

passat-catcon-project-1.jpg

passat-catcon-project-2.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Before removal........ draw paint lines or marker identifiers before and after the flex pipes.
The lines can be used to keep the exhaust in timing location for proper bends after cut off and welded back on.

Back