Informational: Install on domain-joined Win7 with UAC appears to need Run As Admin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610
I've seen this with a few other applications as well - even though the user has Admin privileges, something about the machine being joined to a domain (possibly something set by the domain of course) seems to require Run As Administrator for the installer. (At least for 12.12.2 and Betas 14.5.0, 14.5.5, 14.6.0)

On my so-equipped machine, running as a user with Admin privileges, the installer appears to run, but start menu icons are not created and the USB driver installer does not run. Re-running the installer with Run As Administrator works fine.

On a similar non-domain-joined machine the install runs as expected for an Admin-privileged user.

Probably a boundary condition as most users won't hit this, but posted as an FYI - no need for action on my account, I just have to remember to do it when I install new versions :)

Richard

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Domain-joined? That involves some big-brother type having control over your PC (which is supposed to be a PERSONAL computer) right? ;)

Thank you for the post; I do appreciate it. We probably would never have noticed this ourselves 'cause I refuse to allow a "Domain Controller" on our network. You see, despite the tongue-in-cheek 'dictator' tile, philosophically I'm actually an anarchist. :cool:

-Uwe-

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610
Domain-joined? That involves some big-brother type having control over your PC (which is supposed to be a PERSONAL computer) right? ;)

Agreed! Unfortunately my work machine requires it, and I'm too lazy to carry both a work and a personal laptop :( so I have to adapt. This is one of the least annoying things that happens as a result.

Thank you for the post; I do appreciate it. We probably would never have noticed this ourselves 'cause I refuse to allow a "Domain Controller" on our network.

I posted it mainly in case someone else runs into the problem - at least this way the symptoms might ring a bell and y'all can tell the user to try running the installer as admin anyway. It might be something specific to my particular big-brother, but either the last big brother I had did the same thing or its something deeper to do with domain crap. I never dug particularly deeply, just worked around it and went on with life :D

You see, despite the tongue-in-cheek 'dictator' tile, philosophically I'm actually an anarchist. :cool:

Duh, who else would have taken on this job? :p

Richard

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
We probably would never have noticed this ourselves 'cause I refuse to allow a "Domain Controller" on our network. You see, despite the tongue-in-cheek 'dictator' tile, philosophically I'm actually an anarchist. :cool:
My laptop and several other machines, and a bunch of virtual machines are all joined to my own domain here at home. I haven't noticed any unusual behavior with VCDS or had to do anything special during install to make it work. There may be some policies defined on Richard's domain that aren't on mine.

Jason

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610
My laptop and several other machines, and a bunch of virtual machines are all joined to my own domain here at home. I haven't noticed any unusual behavior with VCDS or had to do anything special during install to make it work. There may be some policies defined on Richard's domain that aren't on mine.

Agreed. Do you have UAC enabled? I.e. do you get the popups asking for permission for admin stuff to run? I attribute it to being domain-joined because both my current and previous employer's laptops did it, but it could easily be some domain policy that corporate IT folks consider best practices. :(

jyoung8607

FoRT
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=25607
Agreed. Do you have UAC enabled? I.e. do you get the popups asking for permission for admin stuff to run? I attribute it to being domain-joined because both my current and previous employer's laptops did it, but it could easily be some domain policy that corporate IT folks consider best practices. :(
Yes, UAC is enabled and running with default settings. I do get a UAC pop-up when launching the installer, but after okaying that, the program and associated drivers install normally.

Jason

solomon

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=610
Yes, UAC is enabled and running with default settings. I do get a UAC pop-up when launching the installer, but after okaying that, the program and associated drivers install normally.

Interesting - I don't think I get the UAC popup unless I check the properties box to run as admin. I get a box about running programs from the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back