Driver Issue in Windows 7

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
Hi,

I have recently encountered an issue in Windows 7 where every time I plug in the VCDS USB lead, Windows does not automatically load the driver. VCDS 12.2.2 plus driver package is installed.

I am greeted by this in device status in device manager.

CvlyQW4.png

I try to update the driver and he response is no driver found. I then point the manual installation to ross-tech/VCDS folder and still drivers not found. To get around it, I have to disable the device in device manager and re-enable and then the driver is found and the device functions perfectly. Kind of tedious. I have tried removing USB ports, reinstalling them, removing hidden usb devices, reinstalling. Still the same. Any idea what this could be? It's not enough to warrant a reinstall of Windows but if someone has worked out whats going wrong here, please can they let me know. Thanks.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Click on the Details tab please, and show us the Device IDs. It should look something like this:

ycDXTZb.png

(I'm at home in front of a relatively ancient machine running XP -- one of these days I get around to putting W7 on it. Maybe.).

-Uwe-

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
I wouldn't bother, Windows 7 does have it's own issues, if it ain't broke :p

b5KwdTO.png

rtbzcKZ.png

It has been working fine for years by simply plugging in and off we go...it's the little things that take the time to fix...I am sure this is a Windows issue.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I'm not sure. Looks like the VID and PID are hosed. But try some other computer. You don't need to install any software or drivers, just plug in the interface and see what VID and PID show up on the other computer using the same technique. The VID should be 0403 and the PID should be FA2x. I don't have that (early) generation Micro-CAN hand and don't remember exactly what x is for it (somewhere between 0 and 4).

-Uwe-

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
WQibY2s.png

It's a problem with my Windows installation. What it is I don't know. Not a big deal, if anyone has solved it though without a re-installation please do post a follow-up. Thanks.

Keithuk

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=122432
It works on my Windows 7 32bit SP1 just try a reinstall. Remember to click the separate USB driver install and click always trust Ross-Tech.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
WQibY2s.png

It's a problem with my Windows installation. What it is I don't know. Not a big deal, if anyone has solved it though without a re-installation please do post a follow-up. Thanks.
Unlike the first set of stuff you posted, this looks OK. Is that from a different computer?

-Uwe-

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
It works on my Windows 7 32bit SP1 just try a reinstall. Remember to click the separate USB driver install and click always trust Ross-Tech.
It has been working on my Windows 7 installation for a couple of years without any messing, then suddenly it decides not to play. Trial and error found that disabling then re-enabling in device manager solves the issue. Weird that the driver is not found or can't be manually installed on initial USB connection though (exclamation next to device). I can't justify a Windows 7 reinstall at the moment as I have a workaround, but if there is a cheap and cheerful fix, all the better.

Unlike the first set of stuff you posted, this looks OK. Is that from a different computer?

-Uwe-
Yes from another computer. This is also what shows when I disable the device in device manager then re-enable it, on the problem computer. Comes online without any further effort every time.

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
That's definitely strange, and not something I've seen before.

-Uwe-

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
That's definitely strange, and not something I've seen before.

-Uwe-

Strange indeed. Is the only place to point to the Windows 7 driver /rosstech/VCDS and ../system32/drivers (RT-USB.inf) ?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I don't think the drivers are the issue here. Based on your first screen-shot, your Windows is seeing the wrong VID and PID. That VID and PID are how Windows decides what drivers can be used with a device. The question is: Why does your Windows see/report the wrong VID and PID?

-Uwe-

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
Who knows. Just found out it is not confined to the VCDS interface now. Tried a memory stick and same thing, disabling/enabling resolves it again. Something is messed up so will try a reinstall of Windows initially to see if that makes things better. At least I know my trusty VCDS lead is serviceable. I wish Windows installation was as resilient as my trusty Ross-Tech interface! Thanks.

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Could be USB root hub on your motherboard going bad. Keep your fingers crossed during the OS reinstall...

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
Luckily it wasn't the motherboard. After the Windows re-install I had the same issue. Then I disabled all non essential background services in Windows and then all USB devices were recognised upon reboot. So then I spent some time finding out what driver was causing the problem. It was the VMWare USB drivers. Disabling them solved the issue.;)

I have since uninstalled VMWare, problem solved. Time to move back to my injector problem with the help of my trusty VCDS. :cool: Thanks for the suggestions

Back