Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 07 GTI Won't Start. Turns over and fires a couple times

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I'm back from my 100 mile mountain bike race in Oregon. Finished 2nd in my class. Woohoo! I replaced the bad PCV and tried starting, not much better than before. I pulled the plugs and the small hose from the PCV to simulate WOT and ran the compression test again. 1-4 got 160, 165, 156, 156, so compression looks good.

What's the best test of the MAF without the engine running? I tried continuity across the pins and got nothing. Should I test for voltage with KOEO?

I could smell fuel when I was running the compression test, but the new plugs don't all have a uniform appearance. #1 and 2 were a normal brown color, #4 was a little too clean, and #3 was pretty dark and sooty. I have an injector tester coming, so I'll go there next.
    Good Thing It's Fast! '07 GTI Fahrenheit

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like washed cylinders with excessive gasoline to me.........correct it.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm really stumped. I sent the injectors for cleaning and testing and it turns out they were all good. Before and after tests were nearly identical. While I had them out I cleaned the intake valves and runners and throttle body. I tested the coils again, this time with a spark tester, and it showed pretty good spark on all 4. Reassembled and I'm still getting nothing, not even a pop. I even tried some starting fluid down the intake tube, but with the distance from that the cylinders, it may have been pointless.

How can I test the HPFP? If the LPFP works, will the engine have enough fuel pressure to start? The fuel pressure relief valve squirts fuel.

Anything I haven't tried that I should? I ordered a new evap purge valve - just in case, but I don't like shooting in the dark.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the exhaust plugged with bananas or CAT plugged............. is intake clear for air way?

You have compression?

Engine in time?
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

5. Likes GTIF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have good compression.

Haven't checked for clogged cat yet.

If the valve timing was off, wouldn't there be interference between pistons and valves? I'll see what I can do to check that.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not always...........

Post Thanks / Like
    I felt a pulse at the exhaust while cranking so I think it's clear. Then I pulled the plugs and cranked for several seconds to check for fuel. The plugs came out bone dry and there is no hint of fuel smell after cranking. What controls the injectors? Maybe they're not firing. After sitting an hour or overnight it will fire a couple times like some fuel seeped into a cylinder over time.

Post Thanks / Like
    What controls the injectors?
    The ECU and consumer supply current paths as per RTFB observed in WD.

Have you checked all fuses in this car, ignition switch, and all terminal relays + ground points?

10. Likes GTIF liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I got the Bentley and did RTFB and followed WD. Great book; says for troubleshooting use VAS 5051/5052, which I don't have and can't afford. I pulled all the related relays and checked them, as well as fuses. They all work. I disconnected the battery to pull some of the relays inside under the dash and now my auto-up/down windows stopped working. I have a feeling it could be the ECU. How can I test that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTIF View Post
    I disconnected the battery to pull some of the relays inside under the dash and now my auto-up/down windows stopped working.
    After disconnecting the battery you need to reset the one-touch windows by running them up and holding the switch for several seconds, then running them down and holding the switch for several seconds.