Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 07 GTI Won't Start. Turns over and fires a couple times

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    check post 92, click on the link and make sure u follow steps 1 thru 4. this is just to verify that ur eyes are not lying

Post Thanks / Like
    Should this concern me?
    https://youtu.be/kINw_eyCDoE
    Could it have caused the belt to jump about 8 teeth without showing damage? With cam at TDC #1 cylinder is airtight. With crank at TDC #1 exh valves are open and air escapes.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check keyways on cam gear and adjuster barrel ..........inspect cam and setup belt at correct points.

Do not deviate from this check.........

Yes OP deserves credit for sticking with it.

Change idlers, tensioner and belt.......
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    is this ur first time doing a belt

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for changing the pics, Uwe. I did that from my phone so I didn't realize they were not there.
    Good Thing It's Fast! '07 GTI Fahrenheit

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, first time doing a belt. First time under the hood of a water cooled VW. My first car was a '57 Oval. 2nd was a '63 type II 23 window. Far, far simpler. I can build small block Ford or Chevy or Corvair engines with my eyes closed. I'll keep at this until I get it to run or find out I have to replace the engine. I like the challenge and learning something new. And online verbal abuse rolls right off my shoulders.

8. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    cool story
    Last edited by ivagp; 10-03-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, this "cool story" has a happy ending. I changed the timing belt and tensioner and reset the timing to match the crank and cam at TDC. I cleaned the oil pan (found some carbon bits and a few pieces of nylon in the corner). With everything back together and fresh oil, car started right up! I drove it around the block and up a hill. It did keep running and had power, but had a miss here and there. I'll run the codes again when I get time tomorrow. Thanks to all who helped with the suggestions of what to try, especially Jack, Uwe and ivagp.

Video of engine idling before I drove it:
    https://youtu.be/aIzp3y_jry0
    Last edited by GTIF; 10-06-2016 at 10:07 AM.

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basics win again.................

This is what is known as a loop effect for the belt.

During cold cranking an oil bypass fails and creates a bind and throws the belt when the car kicks back.
    Oil is thicker when cold and higher PSI is achieved.

or

A misfire kick back effect .........such as running backward for a second can cause this too.

Kind of envision whipping an extension cord and how a loop can be made to start from one end to the other....like an AC wave.

Beware that another underlined condition could exist with oil pump bypass or control oil PSI valve.

It could be a tired tensioner and belt just being warn too.........
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    i heard this old saying once from a fella i think his name was "Benevolent Dictator" COOL STORY
    Last edited by ivagp; 10-06-2016 at 04:57 PM.