can we request to have some things added to the software?

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=255798
as I am using the vcds software and I am getting used to some of the simple aspects of it, I noticed it does NOT do some things that I and many others have also request it be able to do.

for example we would like to be able to change how our screens work. on our car we have the ability to push a button and have the motorized screen slide away into the dash or slide back up. what happens normally is that it always comes up when the car is started from off but only if the radio was left on when shutting the car off. now many of us would like to have the screen stay down every time we start the car regardless if the radio was left in the on position.

there is no option for this but it seems like a simple ability for vcds.

so is there a possibility to request things like this to be implemented onto the software?
there are other things too but I have no clue on how to request.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Understand what VCDS does: It accesses the diagnostic APIs built into the software of each control module. It can only change things that are changeable via those APIs. If there's no provision in those APIs to change the behavior you desire to change, then VCDS can't do it.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=255798
the screen api might not be on the top of the list of important items to work on but I have noticed new updates since I have the cable and feel that maybe the programmers may not considered this a selection that is of interest.

so for the guys at ross tech, is the screen an api that has not been activated or discovered or looked into?

is there a format or procedure for requests?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What makes you think there's any provision in the modules in you car to alter this behavior via diagnostics?

-Uwe-

Zenerdiode

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=24330
Please re-read Uwe's post above yours. What he is saying is that VCDS only accesses the APIs that are programmed into the vehicle's modules by the manufacturer. If provided by the manufacturer, VCDS can then toggle these options. Consider it a bit like a manufacturer has designed a device that has some switches for options, but hidden the switches under a panel that you need a special screwdriver to open. VCDS is that screwdriver, but once you get the panel open, if there is no switch for the option you want (in your case for the screen to stay down on ignition-on) VCDS can't enable it for you.

You're effectively asking for the RT team to make VCDS read the module firmware, disassemble the manufacturer's propriety code, find the area that controls the screen behaviour, edit it to enable your wishes, re-compile the firmware and write it back to the module.

Unfortunately, VCDS doesn't do that, I'm afraid.

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=255798
oh ok. that sucks. so much for wishful thinking. I was thinking that's why we paid a premium for all this. I would think that requesting things was part of the price tag.

but yeah you got the idea of my question.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
You can request whatever you want but if the car doesn't support it then it doesn't support it. It's like asking Audi to give your car vertical takeoff and landing because you "paid a premium" for the car. :)

To the best of our knowledge, VCDS can access all diagnostics-capable control modules and can perform all normal diagnostic functions in them (Basic Settings, Adaptation, etc.) Of course that does not mean that we have documentation on how to do everything possible.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's like asking Audi to give your car vertical takeoff and landing because you "paid a premium" for the car. :)
Drat! You mean to tell me I still need 1500' of runway in order to take off and land? :banghead:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Gravity always wins:
giphy-56cf4660553c4-57068f07d30e7.gif

Back