Vw golf mk5 2007 1.6 fsi limp mode

dubTECH

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=104757
It's a customers vehicle, I would presume he's using 95 as he doesn't know much about cars, I try to advise but due to the slightly higher price of the fuel people won't listen.

PetrolDave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=1423
due to the slightly higher price of the fuel people won't listen.
Certainly here in the UK that's a false economy. How come?

Here in the UK 95RON has a higher sulphur content than 98RON fuel, so when you use 95RON fuel the cats have to be de-poisoned more regularly - and that depoisoning cycle decreases the mpg by about 10% (as it needs more fuel to raise the exhaust temperature to remove the sulphur related deposits).

So with 95RON you get 10% worse mpg than with 98RON - so if 98RON is less than 10% more expensive per gallon/litre then 98RON is actually cheaper in cost per mile/km:thumbs:

As my maths teacher used to say QED (his version was Quite Easily Done rather than the more formal Quod Erat Demonstrandum).

dubTECH

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=104757
So I got round to this today again, done a few more checks. Replaced the pcv which didn't appear to make a massive difference.
I checked the readiness codes again as I still suspected the was some form of pressure on the engine, the lambda and catalytic converter blocks were at 0. So I removed the front cat and took it for a test, low and behold we have full power through the rpm and the engine rattle is gone so it looks like I need a cat.
Strange thing is that there is no faults logged in accordance to any of this, the air intake leak fault is also gone but I'm presuming the was caused by the inoperative pcv.

jaunius

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277923
So today i check spark plugs,coil packs everything looks good, take off throttle body, egr map sensor cleaned properly it wasn't very dirty take off pcv checked looks fine. Put everything back, no fault codes and no difference. I don't know what to do else. At vcds readness catalyst converter shows failed or incomplete.

jaunius

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277923
I just run full readness set everything passed except Oxygen sensors failed or incomplete and catalistyc converter failed or incoplete what does it mean? I have to change catalistyc converted?

Last edited:

jaunius

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277923
I was thinking about to disabled egr valve or blanked maybe it sort out my problem?

Gavra

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240855
For tests to complete you must drive your car. After several driving cycles it will show you valid results.

Can you please describe exactly how did you checked spark plugs and coils?

jaunius

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277923
It was visual inspection my mechanic did that. All parts was boch and its really good condition. Car all the time starts perfect, just when reach operating temperature power reduce down straight away it feels like 1.2 engine is runing.

Gavra

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240855
And his eye is good enough to see difference between 5kV or 11kV spark jump? And how many Amps coil need on hot engine? Burn time duration? Burn time kV? Just one look at ignition waveform is enough to see is engine running lean or rich, is coil strong enough to deal with lean conditions. This information is not available by any scan-tool or visual inspection method. Mechanic must have oscilloscope and be aware how and when to properly use it. I can tell you from 25 years of experience that you need better mechanic......

If you do not have any good mechanic in your area, install TV and contact me on PM I will check out MVB for free and give you advice where to go next.....

Last edited:

Gavra

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240855
I would advise to ban your current mechanic from your car. CORRECT spark plugs for your car is ONLY :
BOSCH
Spark Plug

0 242 240 590
Spark Plug

Usage Numbers: FGR 6 HQE 0 and factory put BERU for first install
Code:
ERU
Spark Plug ULTRA

Z300
Spark Plug

Usage Numbers: 0002340123, 14 FGR-6 HQU, Z 300 
Production status: Normal
BERU Ultra The brand name spark plug in uncompromising OEM quality! All well-known international car manufacturers use Beru spark plugs and glow plugs in their vehicles. To retain this high quality level when servicing and repairing gasoline engines,we recommend using original Beru branded products when replacing the spark plugs. - Perfectly adapted to the individual engine- Consistent implementation of vehicle-specific OEM technologies- High level of recognition supports resale value - High supply rate of 97%- Demand-oriented ranges- Practical code number system
Recommendation - When changing the spark plugs on vehicles with connector ignition coils, please replace the connector and use spark plug connector grease(ZKF 01 - Order No. 0 890 300 029) to fit the connector.

TV= TeamViewer free run only app ,no need to install. But before you do that, replace spark plugs with correct one and then we will go further if required .

jaunius

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277923
Cool mate, i will order and replaced and then i will contact you, but after few weeks because from next week i will be away. Thanks Gavra, I'm really do appreciate for your help!

jaunius

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=277923
Hi everyone! Quick update.
I replaced all fuel injectors,fuel rail, fuel rail sensor the problem still the same... few days ago replaced 1st lambda sensor was showing lean mixture, i was hoping that's will help but no...
On vag com fuel pressure shows 60bars, some one told me on fsi engines supposed to be from 80 min to 120max bar, 100bar is perfect is it right? Im all ready change twice high pressure fuel pump... any ideas how increase fuel pressure? May be i just need new cam follower? But the old looks still fine...

Back