Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Estimated Data Usage?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Yeah, but you forgot to mention another 'feature' of doing that: In a few years, the Chinese would figure out how make an exact clone, shamelessly in violation of our rights under international copyright, trademark, and quite possibly patent laws, treaties, and agreements. Having done none of the work to actually develop the product, they would proceed to sell it for around 20% of what we have to charge to cover what we've invested in its creation and ongoing development. By keeping at least some of the functionality under our control on our servers, that becomes MUCH harder to do. So while it would be eminently feasible for us to do what you want, there are reasons why we're rather reluctant to do that.

-Uwe-
    So you're saying that's the only/main reason for doing it this way?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not exactly. Doing this in a sort of 'client/server' kind of a way has other advantages. We can use a relatively thin client and be reasonably confident we won't outgrow it; i.e. that it will have a long hardware life-cycle for our customers. Look at how often VW has changed their own scan tools,and then look at how quickly any of the 3rd-party dedicated boxes become obsolete. If we had tried to embedd VAG-COM or VCDS at any point along the past 10 years, that piece of hardware would have been obsolete a couple of times now. Although I can't promise it, it's my goal that the HEX-NET you now have will still be viable and running the latest stuff we have 10 years from now.
    Then there's the benefit of to everyone that what's on the server is always the latest version, and that with such an approach, we might be willing to do stuff on our server that I'd never in good conscience put in a stand-alone product because we'd have no control over who's using it on what and under what circumstances. No, we haven't even begun to work on any stuff like that, but we now have a platform on which I won't rule out such functionality.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not exactly. Doing this in a sort of 'client/server' kind of a way has other advantages. We can use a relatively thin client and be reasonably confident we won't outgrow it; i.e. that it will have a long hardware life-cycle for our customers. Look at how often VW has changed their own scan tools,and then look at how quickly any of the 3rd-party dedicated boxes become obsolete. If we had tried to embedd VAG-COM or VCDS at any point along the past 10 years, that piece of hardware would have been obsolete a couple of times now. Although I can't promise it, it's my goal that the HEX-NET you now have will still be viable and running the latest stuff we have 10 years from now.
    Ok thanks for the extra insight btw keep I'm mind that those same people wanting to knock your work off is most def reading this forum too..,

Then there's the benefit of to everyone that what's on the server is always the latest version, and that with such an approach, we might be willing to do stuff on our server that I'd never in good conscience put in a stand-alone product because we'd have no control over who's using it on what and under what circumstances. No, we haven't even begun to work on any stuff like that, but we now have a platform on which I won't rule out such functionality.

-Uwe-
    yeah I had thought about that too and was thinking that might be part of the reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Deleted. O.B.E.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note to say that Auto-Scan logs only seem to take about 2.5kB of space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Depends on what kinda car you're scanning, how many control modules & slaves, and how many fault codes are in 'em.

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    It's just a simple 2005 VW Jetta GLS TDI (PD BEW) Wagon; nothing fancy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, what I was trying to say was that YMMV, and that I'd wouldn't be surprised if some people's Auto-Scans are a bit bigger than that. ;-)

-Uwe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, like the latest VAG models with all the bells and whistles.