Estimated Data Usage?

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Anyone have an estimation of what might be the amount of data used for updates, VCDS Cloud connections, etc? I'm trying to figure out if I should get a dataplan for my iPad so I can use it to connect away from home and have full capability. My iPhone plan doesn't allow it to be used as a hotspot - I'd have to change to a higher priced with reduced data plan if I want to have hotspot capability.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
There's no way to predict that. It depends on how much and how often you use the cloud-based parts of it. But I really don't think it will be much. I would start with the minimum plan you can get and see how it goes.

-Uwe-

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Well, the smallest is 250 MB, then it jumps to 3 GB.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well, if you're really only going to use that data for VCDS-Mobile, I expect 250 MB would be more than enough.

-Uwe-

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Anyone have an estimation of what might be the amount of data used for updates, VCDS Cloud connections, etc? I'm trying to figure out if I should get a dataplan for my iPad so I can use it to connect away from home and have full capability. My iPhone plan doesn't allow it to be used as a hotspot - I'd have to change to a higher priced with reduced data plan if I want to have hotspot capability.

You might be best off putting the iPad on a family data plan (that's what I did with my iPad) and vs having 2 iPhones w/separate data plans +1 iPad I know have all three on one data plan (where the data is SHARED between all three devices) for the exact same as I used to pay for a 4GB + smallest plan for my wife for all three, this is on AT&T though looks like you're no on A&T from the plan sizes you're talking about.

P.S. I'm the one who PM'd u on the other forum that they're in stock now :)

I'm trying to figure out if I should get a dataplan for my iPad so I can use it to connect away from home and have full capability. My iPhone plan doesn't allow it to be used as a hotspot - I'd have to change to a higher priced with reduced data plan if I want to have hotspot capability.

FYI though you would not be able to do what you are thinking of doing. I am in the exact same hw setup. iPhone, iPad (mini) & Hex-Net.

So in order for you to have full capability (well as full as it gets with VCDS mobile for now) you will need to have one of the devices to work as a hotspot, because the Hex-Net has to be able to connect to the internet!

When you are connecting the Hex-Net to your iPhone or iPad via (AP mode) wifi that device will not be providing internet to the Hex-Net it is merely using wifi as a way to connect the two. So in reality to do what you are considering to do you would need this:

1. Hex-Net (duh!) :)
2. Something to provide internet access to the Hex-Net (your iPhone or iPad as hotspot) and in reality the device in nr 3 needs to be connected too!
3. AND last but not least, a second device that now can access the Hex-Net over the network your mobile hotspot device is creating, this because the device that is creating the hotspot will not be able to connect to the same network it is creating so when/if you go to the browser on your iPhone and it is creating the hotspot it will use the LTE network to access the browser which will not see the Hex-Net

Hope that all made some sense? This is all about iPhones and iPads not sure how it works in Android world?

Last edited:

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Yeah, I stopped by the AT&T Store in Chico today and found that for me to do what I wanted would require a more expensive plan with fewer features. I have my original plan that I started with in 2007 with my first iPhone. I have 1 iPhone and 1 iPad; I changed phones going to a 3GS in 2009 to a 5 in 2012 and I went from an original iPad in 2010 to an iPad 3 in 2012. That is the total number of devices I have (my wife has a Jitterbug). So I'll try to use Infrastructure Mode and my WiFi network at home and also try it near free WiFi hotspots if I can get a good signal; otherwise it'll have to be AP. I'm hoping eventually R-T will figure out a way to load the full VCDS into a Hex-Net so that an Internet connection won't be required for full use.

On the plus side, the AT&T rep I talked with has a 2012 TDI and another one also has a TDI, so I was able to tout TDIClub and Ross-Tech to them! :D

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Yeah, I stopped by the AT&T Store in Chico today and found that for me to do what I wanted would require a more expensive plan with fewer features. I have my original plan that I started with in 2007 with my first iPhone.

I was in the situation a few years back where I abandoned my "unlimited" (that really wasn't unlimited anyhow, they never are if you read the fine print), because
I went over my data usage for the months prior to making the change and saw I never had even been close to the "new" limit so yeah...

I have 1 iPhone and 1 iPad; I changed phones going to a 3GS in 2009 to a 5 in 2012 and I went from an original iPad in 2010 to an iPad 3 in 2012. That is the total number of devices I have (my wife has a Jitterbug).

Well you can still use data share between the two devices
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=AwLBoUsuXn6

So I'll try to use Infrastructure Mode and my WiFi network at home and also try it near free WiFi hotspots if I can get a good signal; otherwise it'll have to be AP. I'm hoping eventually R-T will figure out a way to load the full VCDS into a Hex-Net so that an Internet connection won't be required for full use.

Yeah me too until then I just ordered one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Venue-...21320500068?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item4ad031bb64

Since I have ETKA and full ELSAWIN on my virtual XP machine anyway, it'll be nice to not have to use LOGMEIN from my iPhone/iPad (which works very nicely actually over LTE) nor haul around my $2000 laptop into the cars all the time, I think it's worth the $245 to have an 8" device I can haul with me, at least no wires for VCDS hexnet :)

On the plus side, the AT&T rep I talked with has a 2012 TDI and another one also has a TDI, so I was able to tout TDIClub and Ross-Tech to them! :D

Funny small world, I am a TDI & Eurovan nut myself combining the too also :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So I'll try to use Infrastructure Mode and my WiFi network at home and also try it near free WiFi hotspots if I can get a good signal; otherwise it'll have to be AP.
Why not just use the phone as a hotspot? Keep the HEX-NET in infrastructure mode, and tether both the HEX-NET and iPad to the phone as their source of connectivity? That way you don't need a data plan for the iPad. My wife uses her tablet in the car all the time when we're on the road. We just use my phone as a hotspot.

Oh, wait, I missed it. You'd have to change that to a different plan. My guess doing so would still be cheaper than two separate plans, or adding a device to an existing plan.

-Uwe-

Last edited:

JimG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208775
The problem with AT&T is that you must give up your grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan to go to a plan that will let you set your phone up as a hotspot. I'm not willing to do that.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
The problem with AT&T is that you must give up your grandfathered Unlimited Data

I did that and ended up regretting it, and my bill was astronomical.
Switched to T-Mo pre-paid and now get everything including hotspot for $70.

JimG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208775
I did that and ended up regretting it, and my bill was astronomical.
Switched to T-Mo pre-paid and now get everything including hotspot for $70.

You have T-Mobile AND good BBQ in NC. Here in Vermont we have neither.

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
I have 1 iPhone and 1 iPad; I changed phones going to a 3GS in 2009 to a 5 in 2012 and I went from an original iPad in 2010 to an iPad 3 in 2012.

So are you sure your iPad is a 3G enabled one? They cost ~$100 more than the non 3G ones, was just wondering why you would have a 3G enabled one unless you planned to get a data plan for it, and yeah if it's not enabled for 3G (i.e. no sim slot) well then you don't have to decide anything on that one :)

JimG

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208775
You need 3G enabled one to get the GPS chip. Worth the extra cost if you ever want to use it for navigation.

Last edited:

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
You need 3G enabled one to get the GPS chip.

True but what are you going to do with the GPS chip w/out data? Yeah there's a few navigation options out there but not very cheap.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Perhaps one of these years, Apple might actually introduce a phone that has a screen big enough to be useful?

-Uwe-

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Perhaps one of these years, Apple might actually introduce a phone that has a screen big enough to be useful?

-Uwe-

Yeah I am waiting for an Apple Phablet for years now :( I would prefer NOT to have an iPad and iPhone with me, I want a Note 3 sized iPhone and that's it :) but yeah for reading and other browsing I do like the iPad mini size now, but while it does fit in my back pocket it's far from ideal for that!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yep, I used iPhones back when they were the only game in town, but when Dell introduced the (by the standards of the time) absurdly huge Streak with a 5" screen, I switched to Android and haven't looked back since. As far as I'm concerned, 5" is the minimum useable size. I used a Note 1 for a couple of years, and now a Note 3.

-Uwe-

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Yep, I used iPhones back when they were the only game in town, but when Dell introduced the (by the standards of the time) absurdly huge Streak with a 5" screen, I switched to Android and haven't looked back since.

Had one (or two I think actually) of those too but while I loved the HW it was fairly buggy, but the form factor was ahead it's time.

As far as I'm concerned, 5" is the minimum useable size. I used a Note 1 for a couple of years, and now a Note 3.

-Uwe-

Yes 5" is best, small enough to fit in your pocket but big enough to use nicely.

Here is my 5" VCDS solution from some four years ago :)

IMG_3292.jpg

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Had one (or two I think actually) of those too but while I loved the HW it was fairly buggy, but the form factor was ahead it's time.
I assume you're referring to the Dell Streak? The biggest problem I had with 'em was that I kept breaking them, specifically the screens. It was a bone-headed move on my part both times, but after the second one, I gave up. I've never outright broken any other phone I've had.

-Uwe-

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
I assume you're referring to the Dell Streak?

Correct

The biggest problem I had with 'em was that I kept breaking them, specifically the screens.

They also had a tendency to just literally freeze up on you and become bricked, I never even rooted it or anything.

It was a bone-headed move on my part both times, but after the second one, I gave up. I've never outright broken any other phone I've had.

-Uwe-

I managed to crack the screen the first week I had my (not so cheap!) OQO computer back in the day :)

ces2004OQO-3.jpg

Random pic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OQO

Back