Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WiFi Configuration & VCDS-Mobile app Questions

Post Thanks / Like

WiFi Configuration & VCDS-Mobile app Questions

My Hex-Net is due to be delivered by 8:00 P.M. PST today, 27 Feb 14 so I was viewing the videos.

The one covering Infrastructure Mode said to go to the downloads page and download a WiFi configuration app to my computer. I went there but it only lists VCDS Release 12.12.2 and VCDS-Lite 1.2. What is the correct URL to get the application mentioned in the video?

A couple of the videos referred to a "VCDS-Mobile" app for smart devices; is it just for Android devices? I don't find it on the iOS App Store but I DO find the following:
    1. A German app named Media-Car Tec that mentions VCDS in it's description: "Informationen zur VCDS Codierung"

2. An iPad app named iCanOBD2 that does not support K-line and runs on iOS 7 only.

Will there be an iOS "VCDS-Mobile" app?

2. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the VCDS-Mobile page:

VCDS-Mobile iOS App

We plan to offer an iOS app through Apple's App Store in the future but do not currently have an expected date. Even without an app, VCDS-Mobile can be used with iOS devices using the Safari browser.

http://www.ross-tech.com/hex-net/downloads.html

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Java app is very useful but not 100% necessary.

All of the network settings may be changed from the Options -> Network Option page on HEX-NET if you connect via AP mode to HNX-XXXXXX and go to http://192.168.0.1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblewave View Post
    From the VCDS-Mobile page:

VCDS-Mobile iOS App

We plan to offer an iOS app through Apple's App Store in the future but do not currently have an expected date. Even without an app, VCDS-Mobile can be used with iOS devices using the Safari browser.

http://www.ross-tech.com/hex-net/downloads.html

Hmmm, will that really work with Apple disabling Java via their security updates for the last couple of years? Also, I don't use Safari, but use Firefox (27.0.1 currently) so will that have an impact? Last, I don't use bleeding edge OSes; just Mac OS 10.7.5 and iOS 6.1.x.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jakematic View Post
    The Java app is very useful but not 100% necessary.

All of the network settings may be changed from the Options -> Network Option page on HEX-NET if you connect via AP mode to HNX-XXXXXX and go to http://192.168.0.1
    Whew, I thought that was an address already in use on my network but I just checked and it isn't.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by romad View Post
    Whew, I thought that was an address already in use on my network but I just checked and it isn't.
    In AP mode you and the HEX-NET are the only ones on the network.
    Once you switch it to Infrastructure mode it will join an existing network and get an IP address from the DHCP server (router usually) on that network.

EDIT I'm a pictures kind of guy so I made this, maybe it will explain it better:
    Last edited by jakematic; 02-27-2014 at 01:31 PM.

8. Likes Admin, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by romad View Post
    Hmmm, will that really work with Apple disabling Java via their security updates for the last couple of years? Also, I don't use Safari, but use Firefox (27.0.1 currently) so will that have an impact? Last, I don't use bleeding edge OSes; just Mac OS 10.7.5 and iOS 6.1.x.
    It's nothing to do with Java, other than possibly Javascript embedded in the HTML. Firefox will work fine, that's the whole point of a browser interface, it'll work on anything (well, Microsoft proprietary browser behaviour excepted).

Just get an Android phone and root it, you'll have the app, a free hotspot, and a screen large enough to be useful!
    Last edited by invisiblewave; 02-27-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jakematic View Post
    In AP mode you and the HEX-NET are the only ones on the network.
    Once you switch it to Infrastructure mode it will join an existing network and get an IP address from the DHCP server (router usually) on that network.

EDIT I'm a pictures kind of guy so I made this, maybe it will explain it better:
    Well, I see you have the 802.11ac AirPort Extreme (if your graphic is accurate) so now I have to ask, what does Hex-Net use, 11g, 11n, etc.?

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe its 802.11G

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Santos