Status
Not open for further replies.

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
My Hex-Net is due to be delivered by 8:00 P.M. PST today, 27 Feb 14 so I was viewing the videos.

The one covering Infrastructure Mode said to go to the downloads page and download a WiFi configuration app to my computer. I went there but it only lists VCDS Release 12.12.2 and VCDS-Lite 1.2. What is the correct URL to get the application mentioned in the video?

A couple of the videos referred to a "VCDS-Mobile" app for smart devices; is it just for Android devices? I don't find it on the iOS App Store but I DO find the following:
1. A German app named Media-Car Tec that mentions VCDS in it's description: "Informationen zur VCDS Codierung"

2. An iPad app named iCanOBD2 that does not support K-line and runs on iOS 7 only.

Will there be an iOS "VCDS-Mobile" app?

Reactions: Uwe

invisiblewave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208767
From the VCDS-Mobile page:

VCDS-Mobile iOS App

We plan to offer an iOS app through Apple's App Store in the future but do not currently have an expected date. Even without an app, VCDS-Mobile can be used with iOS devices using the Safari browser.

http://www.ross-tech.com/hex-net/downloads.html

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
The Java app is very useful but not 100% necessary.

All of the network settings may be changed from the Options -> Network Option page on HEX-NET if you connect via AP mode to HNX-XXXXXX and go to http://192.168.0.1

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
From the VCDS-Mobile page:

VCDS-Mobile iOS App

We plan to offer an iOS app through Apple's App Store in the future but do not currently have an expected date. Even without an app, VCDS-Mobile can be used with iOS devices using the Safari browser.

http://www.ross-tech.com/hex-net/downloads.html

Hmmm, will that really work with Apple disabling Java via their security updates for the last couple of years? Also, I don't use Safari, but use Firefox (27.0.1 currently) so will that have an impact? Last, I don't use bleeding edge OSes; just Mac OS 10.7.5 and iOS 6.1.x.

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
The Java app is very useful but not 100% necessary.

All of the network settings may be changed from the Options -> Network Option page on HEX-NET if you connect via AP mode to HNX-XXXXXX and go to http://192.168.0.1

Whew, I thought that was an address already in use on my network but I just checked and it isn't.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Whew, I thought that was an address already in use on my network but I just checked and it isn't.

In AP mode you and the HEX-NET are the only ones on the network.
Once you switch it to Infrastructure mode it will join an existing network and get an IP address from the DHCP server (router usually) on that network.

EDIT I'm a pictures kind of guy so I made this, maybe it will explain it better:
3modes_zps862bde13.png

Last edited:

invisiblewave

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208767
Hmmm, will that really work with Apple disabling Java via their security updates for the last couple of years? Also, I don't use Safari, but use Firefox (27.0.1 currently) so will that have an impact? Last, I don't use bleeding edge OSes; just Mac OS 10.7.5 and iOS 6.1.x.

It's nothing to do with Java, other than possibly Javascript embedded in the HTML. Firefox will work fine, that's the whole point of a browser interface, it'll work on anything (well, Microsoft proprietary browser behaviour excepted).

Just get an Android phone and root it, you'll have the app, a free hotspot, and a screen large enough to be useful!

Last edited:

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Once you switch it to Infrastructure mode it will join an existing network and get an IP address from the DHCP server (router usually) on that network.

EDIT I'm a pictures kind of guy so I made this, maybe it will explain it better:
3modes_zps862bde13.png

Well, I see you have the 802.11ac AirPort Extreme (if your graphic is accurate) so now I have to ask, what does Hex-Net use, 11g, 11n, etc.?

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Thanks, Santos

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761

3modes_zps862bde13.png

Great but one last thing photoshop the LEDs to be the correct color too :)

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Well, I see you have the 802.11ac AirPort Extreme (if your graphic is accurate) so now I have to ask, what does Hex-Net use, 11g, 11n, etc.?

802.11ac is a wifi standard not a specific router, all routers from Apple have been dual band for a number of years now.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Great but one last thing photoshop the LEDs to be the correct color too :)

Being red/green colorblind..... um.... yeah I can't tell what color the actual LEDs are :D

802.11ac is a wifi standard not a specific router, all routers from Apple have been dual band for a number of years now.

Correct. I used that router as an example only since it is easily identifiable.

BaraJag

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208761
Being red/green colorblind..... um.... yeah I can't tell what color the actual LEDs are :D

So how do you tell which mode your Hex-Net is in?

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
So how do you tell which mode your Hex-Net is in?

At my desk I just check to see if it is broadcasting WiFi or if it can be pinged.
In the car it's impossible to see since my DLC is so deeply buried I have to practically lay on the ground to connect it, but same thing.

Reminds me of the time I terrified a rental van full of people by whizzing though a single flashing red light...
Without 3 lamps it's difficult to tell if it's a caution or stop so I look for the sign on the side of the road.

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765

Yeah, I know, but I have 11n in my iMac, iPhone, iPad & AirPort Express so I was wondering what the Hex-Net unit itself used. Uwe says 11g.

OT, but personally I don't like the design of the new AirPort Extreme Base Station; why didn't Apple just stay with the smaller case.

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Correct. I used that router as an example only since it is easily identifiable.

Should have used the old 11b/g spaceship design! :D

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I have 11n in my iMac, iPhone, iPad & AirPort Express so I was wondering what the Hex-Net unit itself used. Uwe says 11g.

My network is the previous (flat) AirPort Extreme and 2 AirPort Express used as extenders.

HEX-NET works perfectly attached to the N network and it is set to automatic on the AirPort.

Network_zpsb451eaa1.png

iNet shows it attached with a max rate of 54Mbps

WiFi_zps82ce72d2.png

romad

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=208765
Does it show up as VCHN or did you have to name it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back