Case Study: P1250 doesn't clear out

Jef

Ross-Tech Employee
Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
ST?ID=68151

P1250 17658 - Fuel Level too Low

Even after putting fuel in, code does not clear out. May need to test drive +10 miles (16.0934 km) before the fault code can be cleared out.

In some cases, there may also be a firmware update for the ECM... but test drive first.

Reactions: Uwe

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I know why..........Here is better understanding why and something you can go verify.

There is an adaptive value in the cluster, that is used from one sender to the next and calculated.

The cluster stores a number and moves to the next value of adaption based on a signal through the VSS.
This is done to simulate the baffles which are not present in the tank.

A quick observation of the fuel gage can be observed, if the VSS is unplugged; and you take the car our for a road test, while stepping on the gas.

The gauge will now float with the inertia because no delay is present.

In some cases a faulty VSS signal can effect the ability to calibrate a gauge, or even is constructed of straw and human feces descent, being FOD!

Not a mystery......

Additionally this description is used to verify a tampered speed sender.
This is done to notify an advocate when a warranty odometer fraud manipulation investigation may exist or with needing for observations of the hours clock to correlate.

Last edited:

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
ST?ID=68151

P1250 17658 - Fuel Level too Low

Even after putting fuel in, code does not clear out. May need to test drive +10 miles (16.0934 km) before the fault code can be cleared out.

In some cases, there may also be a firmware update for the ECM... but test drive first.

Jeff, there is no fuel codes or any data pertaining to the gauge, it just does not go to full, like 1/3 but will do the sweep to full using the analog test.

Thanks.

Larry Manton

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=112505
I know why..........Here is better understanding why and something you can go verify.

There is an adaptive value in the cluster, that is used from one sender to the next and calculated.

The cluster stores a number and moves to the next value of adaption based on a signal through the VSS.
This is done to simulate the baffles which are not present in the tank.

A quick observation of the fuel gage can be observed, if the VSS is unplugged; and you take the car our for a road test, while stepping on the gas.

The gauge will now float with the inertia because no delay is present.

In some cases a faulty VSS signal can effect the ability to calibrate a gauge, or even is constructed of straw and human feces descent, being FOD!

Not a mystery......

Additionally this description is used to verify a tampered speed sender.
This is done to notify an advocate when a warranty odometer fraud manipulation investigation may exist or with needing for observations of the hours clock to correlate.

Nostra Jack, you might be on to something here............as somebody before me either bought a different cluster to replace a failed one, or tampered with it. Showed 70,000 miles when in actuality it had about 112,000, so what you are saying there might be a correlation here.

An addressing a previous statement I have shorted the wires @ the sender thinking I could make it move which is traditional on a lot of fuel gauges and it did nothing, but the gauge itself functions when doing the analog test.

Jack, you said once you were a phallic symbol, one smart phallic when it comes to VW I might add. The bit about the gauge and the VSS I'll have to mull over bit.

Back