The Airplane thread

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
I can't wait for the water cooler discussion on Monday. That doesn't happen very often to a 737. Looks like gigantic FOD (possibly deer and sled parts) or someone missed some MX. The first row of compressor blades is still intact but chewed heavily.

While gathered around the hydration station, can you have someone verify (for my own sanity) that the green/yellow stuff is resin-impregnated Kevlar over aluminum honeycomb? I had a bear of a time cutting composite Kevlar (not to be confused with the stuff used in ballistics vests) using even special Kevlar shears, and can't believe that Santa's sled shredded it so cleanly.....

Reactions: Uwe

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
The Navy's VX-4 Squadron sure did have some nice-looking airplanes with their distinctive logo on the tail:

5-test-and-evaluation.jpg

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Old stuff ramping up is still the best...............

http://airshowny.com/

Air show next Sat...........Planes already coming in for padic!

Pray no issues like last year.

Last edited:

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
While gathered around the hydration station, can you have someone verify (for my own sanity) that the green/yellow stuff is resin-impregnated Kevlar over aluminum honeycomb? I had a bear of a time cutting composite Kevlar (not to be confused with the stuff used in ballistics vests) using even special Kevlar shears, and can't believe that Santa's sled shredded it so cleanly.....

I can answer that without chatting anyone up. Yes that's Kevlar. There wouldn't be many layers to that cowling piece and at 360 knots or so stuff snaps off quick like when things get pear shaped.

It is funny to watch someone cut kevlar if they're used to fiberglass. That stuff you're looking at in the pictures would be "pre-preg" (like a woman I dated in college) with the catalyzed resin already saturating the fabric. It's stored in a freezer until you need it, and if you produce a lot of parts you probably have a 2 axis laser cutting table.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/joe-sutter-father-747-passes-000215028.html

Joe Sutter, father of the 747, passes away at 95
Reuters
August 30, 2016

(Reuters) - Joe Sutter, known for leading Boeing Co's engineering team for the iconic 747 jumbo jet in the mid-1960s, died on Tuesday at the age of 95.

In addition to the 747, Sutter worked on projects including the 737 and 707 aircraft models, Boeing Commercial Airplanes chief executive officer Ray Conner said in a message to employees.

Sutter and his team became known as "the Incredibles," for producing the world's largest airplane within 29 months from the time of conception.

Sutter served the company as a consultant after his retirement from the company in 1986.

(Reporting by Shalini Nagarajan in Bengaluru, editing by G Crosse)

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
So. I'm sitting at my desk a few minutes ago, and hear the drone of a loud twin-engine airplane flying by. Thought to myself that it sounded like a Mitchell, and sure enough I caught the glare of the B-25's polished twin tails as it crossed out of sight behind the building. Stewart Airport is hosting the "NYC" Air Show again this weekend, and there are all kinds of interesting things flying in today for static display and practice runs. It's gonna be a fun weekend for plane-spotting in our yard.....

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700

This "P-51" is actually a Piper Enforcer. You can see the taller vertical fin as the easiest give away.

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
Blizzard was outside on the desk a few hours ago, barking at The Thunderbirds as they flew directly overhead in a diamond pattern for several practice passes at the airport. Gonna be an interesting weekend of plane-spotting in these parts.....

vreihen

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=31688
SWF show to commence in fifteen minutes.....:thumbs:

Thunderbirds are last act of both days. Third-to-last act is a pair of Navy F-18's doing flybys, which is what I'd set my snooze alarm for. Other than that, it's the usual air show fare with piston-driven planes doing stunts.....

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Speaking of crop dusters...
A good friend of my uncle owns this hangar full of toys. That's an AT-802 on the left and I think an AT-502 on the right.

1017151223_zps7aimml4c.jpg

The AT-802 is a giant. It has nearly 1300 hp weighs 16,000 lbs at takeoff but only 6,750. Climbing into the cockpit is like monkey bars on a playground, and entry isn't very graceful. Once seated it's all business (except for the mp3 audio). A low wing airplane and it's still three rungs up to the wing.

We were actually there to see the [cough]little PT-17 Stearman in the back.
1017151223a-2_zpstsutsemn.jpg

That Stearman was FLAWLESS in every regard. I understand it was just recently sold to a Lockheed test pilot.

Not that life sucked, because we rolled up in this:
10171510002-2_zpsyf4pwqjf.jpg

Back to the AT-802, for a real freak show check out the AT-802 Fire Boss.
You take that big beast and you put it on amphib floats. But wait, there's a catch. It can't actually land and take off from the water because the floats are too small! The floats are so you can skim the water to fill the hopper and go dump it on a fire.

And can go wrong...
Before you watch, keep in mind that prop costs as much as a house, and the engine costs as much as a waterfront house in LaJolla

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
Very nice post. Black & white photo is "Thunderbolt" ? :thumbs:

Flaps10

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=219700
Is more Vibrator.

Annual finally signed off now that the air show season is largely fizzled out for the year. I only got about .5 hours including an extended ground warm up, taxi and run up and then one 140 mph pass followed by one landing. We were set up to fly it more yesterday but the wind kicked up to ridiculous level.
DSC_1199-2_zpslcarqqyu.jpg

DSC_1194-2_zpsyibzcjfm.jpg

The decision to not fly is always a struggle, but it does assure that you live to make the decision again. After bagging it for the day I got on the road home (about 200 miles) and the wind bordered on insane, so the decision to not fly was a good one. Of course it's beautiful today.

I'm headed back in two weeks, weather permitting for put a few hours on it.

If this were the random picture thread I would disclose that these were taken by my uncle using his Nikon D70.

Boki Ar

VCDS Distributor
VCDS Distributor
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57300
Long ago i keep this photo. On Facebook asked and nobody knew to help me. What is this plane? :thanks:

Pk7GWIe.jpg

Back