Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: The Airplane thread

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, I think the world has been changed to believe that the gizmos and gadgets in our lives tell the story, tell the truth. All of society seems to have moved into believing that electronics communicate reality and that you have to believe what these magic devices tell us. Older folks like us who grew through the time into the information age, know that the devices can be wrong, can be fooled, can report incompletely and we know that to truly understand, we need to know what the device is attempting to help us do better. They have no knowledge - well most do not. They have information collected by humans, coded and placed in their memory for future reference.

The problem as I see it is that we have begun to accept that the machines know better than we do; that because they can see and recall so much more information, they "know" best how to respond.

Until they don't...

And then the humans who accepted all the "knowledge" and response these machines are capable, have indeed taken the lazy route of not learning the basic premises by which the system operates.

The Terminator movies may not be so far fetchd... machines may one day rule the lazy human.

Bruce,

Well I take issue with it and if I'm the asshole because I want or try to force people to learn by using RTFB & some time doing some HW, versus a magic web search and no doubt, I find that YouTube videos & search engines are very helpful, however, seriously people need to know how shit works & to test it!

I often think of the solar sun storm and how many will die as result of not being able to tap a screen & for so much as a glass of water or to order a pizza delivered.

Technology is great and also comes with its lean toward too many dependencies!

Signed the ASSHOLE!

European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

2. Likes D-Dub, Da Tow'd, PetrolDave liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post

Bruce,

Well I take issue with it and if I'm the asshole because I want or try to force people to learn by using RTFB & some time doing some HW, versus a magic web search and no doubt, I find that YouTube videos & search engines are very helpful, however, seriously people need to know how shit works & to test it!

I often think of the solar sun storm and how many will die as result of not being able to tap a screen & for so much as a glass of water or to order a pizza delivered.

Technology is great and also comes with its lean toward too many dependencies!

Signed the ASSHOLE!
    It appears I offended but I don't understand how. I believe I was concurring with your points that people have been taught to depend on their gizmos and gadgets and no longer have the curiosity to learn what makes the gizmos and gadgets function. Is that not the point of your rant? Is that not what you have been saying in this forum forever?

My point was that the world has systemically jumped into the worship of such devices - that the devices are the all knowing wise ones to which we should turn for all answers. Young people seem to have embraced this and have been taught that the devices are all knowing.

That I believe should echo with your ideas.

Color me confused by your words directed to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    No Bruce you didn't offend me, no not at all, I agree, I just take issue with the actual state of what we see.

Just makes me sick to watch everything be considered disposable & in many once thriving service industries.

That would be my poor writing skills & to conveying my warped thought process.

Often why people get offended by me because either they dont know me ,
    misinterpret my sense of humor from the aforementioned or im just being an asshole by default.
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 06-21-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

5. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to see old man yesterday and we were talking about how as a retired FAA officer, he would rather drive from NY to FL recently than get on any unsafe aircraft if he couldn't ramp them!
    Plus I had some ball busting to do on my perception of the AD's on the Boeing fiasco, because I was RIGHT !
    I'm not always right but it's especially nice to be right when it's your dad, because it's hard to get capitulation when the apple doesnt fall far!

7. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a bunch of moron's....
    https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/06/28/...-the-year.html

Boeing 737 Max likely grounded until the end of the year after new problem emerges

9. Likes PetrolDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/martinr...-customer/amp/

Boeing Loses Another 737 MAX Customer

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/martinr...-customer/amp/

Boeing Loses Another 737 MAX Customer
    Shows once again that incomplete testing and rushing a product to market DOES have negative consequences, once customers lose confidence it takes an awful lot of time and hard work to regain that confidence.

12. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://qz.com/1660253/boeings-737-m...ion-order/amp/

Mere peanuts!

Boeing’s 737 Max woes just cost it a $5.9 billion order

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    https://qz.com/1660253/boeings-737-m...ion-order/amp/
    Mere peanuts!
    Boeing’s 737 Max woes just cost it a $5.9 billion order
    OK, they lost twenty. Considering they have orders for five thousand of these planes, twenty ain't gonna make or break the company.

Buried way down at the bottom of the article, the parent company for British Airways signed a letter of intent to buy two hundred.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

16. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post