Infrastructure mode

951driver

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11938
I've been able to look at VCDS Mobile using the access point, but cannot make the jump to using my WiFi. I have downloaded the utility, and it sees my network, yet when I use the wizard I do not get the Hex-Net when I look for it on WiFi.
A couple observations: apparently upon using the wizard a try at joining the network isn't made: I thought I might have entered the wrong password, but on a repeat attempt I did use an incorrect password and did not get a cattle prod or something less in reply. Needless to say it didn't work then. In comparing my utility screen with others, I see an IP address is visible for the successful user in the box detailing the default access, but mine is the written equivalent of the buzzer: 0.0.0.0.
What am I missing?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Try rebooting the HEX-NET by unplugging it both from USB and any car that it might be plugged into.

-Uwe-

951driver

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11938
The HEX-Net has been unplugged since yesterday. Doesn't matter if I use AutoIP, DHCP, or force a static IP, it still returns to 0.0.0.0 when I backup. Of course I'm now grateful for no buzzer, etc. :rolleyes:
I'm seeing a left green LED, center red and right green, with synchronous blinking of the center and right.
All kidding aside, I do appreciate your help, and your products!

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What kind of router do you have? what type of security?

951driver

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11938
I have a Linksys E4200 router, with WPA2/WPA security and their version of an SPI firewall.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Did you try creating a profile using the "Profile Setup Wizard"? What was the network strength shown?

951driver

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11938
That's the wizard I referenced in my original post. Three bars. My shop computer accesses the WiFi without problems.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The PC and HEX-NET have different radios. Can you go under the Profile wizard and look at the signal strength. It should be listed as a percentage.

Av71rEE.jpg

951driver

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11938
Yes, it's 84%. Stopping the SPI firewall has no effect.

951driver

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11938
Changing to WPA2 alone gives a center green light and an IP, and now the right light is red/orange alternating. Going to test the iPad with the car!!

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
We have had issues in the past with guest networks. I just looked over the e4200 manual and it claims its enabled by default. Are you connecting to the main wifi network or the guest network?

Guest networks require the client device (typically a computer) to accept "terms" for the guest network. The HEX-NET cannot "accept" these terms.

951driver

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11938
Well, now I have three green lights, so that's progress. Unfortunately I can't see VCDS-Net on either the 192 IP address I can use with the access point, or the IP address the Utility says the device is set to. Further thoughts?

951driver

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11938
Not using the guest network. And I actually did mean VCDS-Mobile.
If I recall correctly, my DSL modem chooses the same IP as HEX-NET does as an access point. Not sure if I can change that.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
ok, Lets set the HN to infrastructure mode. It should have all LEDs green.

did you configure the HN using a PC or Mac?

Under Windows, click (Start -> Run) or (windows circle -> type in the search box): CMD , and open a command prompt. Type in: ipconfig.

Under OSX, open a terminal window and type: ifconfig .

Post results here.

What is the ip address assigned to the HN?

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
If I recall correctly, my DSL modem chooses the same IP as HEX-NET does as an access point. Not sure if I can change that.

In infrastructure mode, HEX-NET will not be at 192.168.0.1, but instead whatever IP address your router gives it.

Easiest way to find it is by looking under Options, Test in VCDS Beta 14.6 as shown here:

B14-2-3-OT.png

951driver

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11938
In infrastructure mode, HEX-NET will not be at 192.168.0.1, but instead whatever IP address your router gives it.

Easiest way to find it is by looking under Options, Test in VCDS Beta 14.6 as shown here:

B14-2-3-OT.png

And that works! Now to update firmware, access the cloud, and leave the USB extension cords for the Q7 that can't get in the shop while the race car is home! Thanks again!

rucklet

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14863
I too have this problem. I have read the forum and there are many threads about this problem and I think there is enough repeatings. None of the suggested solutions helps in my case. When connected as access point, both usb and wifi, it wants an update. Trying to connect in infrastructure mode following the video using the config utility it seems to work with the wizard but i get no IP.,0.0.0.0 and the LED's flash red and green. I tried different usb-ports, turning off firewall and anti virus, also connected to a car. I can't get it to connect to my network, I also tried internet sharing via Iphone. The router is a Thomson TG789v, I reset it to factory settings.

I've been able to look at VCDS Mobile using the access point, but cannot make the jump to using my WiFi. I have downloaded the utility, and it sees my network, yet when I use the wizard I do not get the Hex-Net when I look for it on WiFi.
A couple observations: apparently upon using the wizard a try at joining the network isn't made: I thought I might have entered the wrong password, but on a repeat attempt I did use an incorrect password and did not get a cattle prod or something less in reply. Needless to say it didn't work then. In comparing my utility screen with others, I see an IP address is visible for the successful user in the box detailing the default access, but mine is the written equivalent of the buzzer: 0.0.0.0.
What am I missing?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I just had another user (old friend) report something similar. It got worked around like this: Go into your router's admin interface; find the list of attached devices; they should be shown by MAC address. Then assign that MAC address a fixed IP address on your network.

-Uwe-

rucklet

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=14863
It doesn't show up there. It's still flashing red and green, never 3 green Led's. I tried the red button too.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
what type of Wifi security are you using?

Back