CSV files - Am I doing this right?

aTOMic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151918
I posted many logs but no feedback yet, I realize there are few of you and many of us; but, of course, MY problem is the most important. ;) Please tell me if I logged and posted this right, or is it a big waste of time.

I should have used "Advanced Measuring Values" as I needed to log at least the 5 that Jack(at)European recommended, right?

I'm sure you'll point me at some long video I should have been able to find on my own.

Thanks,
Tom
LOVE your product. Eager to learn it.

PS You should consider a link "Interactive VCDS Simulator" on the home page.

PPS during logging, the ability to add a note would be most useful, IMHO.

PPPS I wish my cable exited the OBD connector toward the user's right side, I keep snagging it with my foot.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
PS You should consider a link "Interactive VCDS Simulator" on the home page.

Like this one ?
Yeah I didn't know either until I accidentally clicked on it.

PPPS I wish my cable exited the OBD connector toward the user's right side, I keep snagging it with my foot.

There are two solutions for that :cool:

Will let the experts comment on your other questions.

aTOMic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151918
Like this one ?
Yeah I didn't know either until I accidentally clicked on it.

I think they just put that there...
Seriously, it's something that I believe potential customers would enjoy, and it deserves its own star that flashes and says "CLICK HERE TO TRY IT OUT".

There are two solutions for that :cool:
The right angle one would work. Also could use the extra length, every now& then...
I LOVE the Wifi one but I'd have to relocate the ODB connector or I'd kick it every time. My OBD seems to point straight down... which I shall remedy next time I have the knee bolster off. That's the solution! Thanks, Jake.
BTW My Passat has an OBD shaped hole under the rubber pad under the handbrake which, I understand, is for European use... more sensible IMHO.

Will let the experts comment on your other questions.

So in other words yes I FUBARed the logs. Shoot.

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
I LOVE the Wifi one but I'd have to relocate the ODB connector or I'd kick it every time.

Just don't try to use it as a parking brake :rolleyes:

So in other words yes I FUBARed the logs. Shoot.

NO! Not at all.
I meant that I personally have no clue what they mean, so will leave that to Jack, the Ross-Tech team and the other very knowledgeable folks here.

It's Friday on a holiday week in the US of A ... things are slow around all the forums.
I have no doubt your questions will be answered or I never would have sent you here Tom.
Patience, Audihopper, patience... :cool:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I think they just put that there..
Yep, we just put that there -- roughly 12 or 13 years ago. Of course it's been updated a few times since then. :D

-Uwe-

aTOMic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151918
I get a response from Der Komissar himself yet no real answers... Bittersweet, that is. Bittersweet.
I don't claim to have all the answers. I provide tools that may help people find them. ;)

-Uwe-

Last edited by a moderator:

aTOMic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151918
I don't claim to have all the answers. I provide tools that may help people find them. ;)

-Uwe-

Now he's posting as me! What's going on, Uwe? Too much schnapps? :p

A real question: Why in the " Adv. Meas. Values" when I open the drop-down why are the same choices (sensor values) apparently listed repeatedly?

Thanks,
Tom

jakematic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=129085
Now he's posting as me!

No.... he modified your post as evidenced by the Last edited by Uwe; Yesterday at 08:22 AM.

Uwe is the Captain of this ship.
He may not have every answer, but the team here may.

Bruce

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
--------
A real question: Why in the " Adv. Meas. Values" when I open the drop-down why are the same choices (sensor values) apparently listed repeatedly?

The VAG engineers do this so that a measuring value group can pull the info you need without requesting multiple groups. Each request for a measuring value in the older control modules, actually pulls all 4 values in the measuring group. The more groups you ask to view, the slower the the sample rate. So, the VAG engineers will put the same item in multiple groups to keep the sample rates high - improving the graphs that can be created from the values. More points provides better visibility to what is going on.

More Schnapps improves the blurred data!

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
The VAG engineers do this so that a measuring value group can pull the info you need without requesting multiple groups. Each request for a measuring value in the older control modules, actually pulls all 4 values in the measuring group. The more groups you ask to view, the slower the the sample rate. So, the VAG engineers will put the same item in multiple groups to keep the sample rates high - improving the graphs that can be created from the values.
Even more to the point, for more than a decade, VW's own tools could only show you ONE group at a time. So values that were commonly used as a reference (for example RPM) were included in many groups.

-Uwe-

aTOMic

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=151918
Thanks guys.
So the answer to my thread title question is yes - copy and paste CSV text with
Code:
 tags around it, right?
-Tom

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
So the answer to my thread title question is yes - copy and paste CSV text with
Code:
 tags around it, right?
Code:
Yep,  that's fine.    

An alternate would be to upload your CSV file to a Google Docs spreadsheet, set it to share with anyone that has a link to it, and then post the link.   The latter would be preferred if the file is really large.   

-Uwe-

Back