Forum Exclusive: Beta 16.5.0 (RC)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I will like to try this beta version, however since I have the micro-can interface I understand the need to update the FW.
I tried to do it with the VCDS version I am using now (15.7.4) using Options --> Test and nothing about FW updates pops up.
Then I tried Options --> User Interface and.. --> Check for free updates --> Release and betas and again no FW update option is shown.

Questions:
What is the right way to do this?
Can i revert back to the FW I am running now if i decided that I want to use 15.7.4 instead of the latest beta or no point doing that?
Do you have the Micro-CAN plugged into a car when you're doing this? It must be plugged into a car.

What FW version does your Micro-CAN have in it currently? This is shown when you do [Options] -> [Test].

No, you cannot revert back to the old FW once you update it.

-Uwe-

PepeVr6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=47704
Do you have the Micro-CAN plugged into a car when you're doing this? It must be plugged into a car.

What FW version does your Micro-CAN have in it currently? This is shown when you do [Options] -> [Test].

No, you cannot revert back to the old FW once you update it.

-Uwe-

Uwe,
I have FW version 1.01. let me clarify that I didn't download the beta version yet. Since the process is not reversible, any drawback on functionality that I may experience with the beta?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Uwe,
I have FW version 1.01. let me clarify that I didn't download the beta version yet. Since the process is not reversible, any drawback on functionality that I may experience with the beta?
Oh, you have a first generation Micro-CAN, from almost 10 years ago. We didn't sell very many of those. Internally, the first gen Micro-CAN has an entirely different architecture than the newer ones that we've been selling since roughly the middle of 2008. There is no firmware update available or needed for yours, so there's nothing irreversible about trying Beta 16.x.

-Uwe-

PepeVr6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=47704
Thanks for the clarification Uwe, you are right, I got mine on 2007, when I purchased my 2008 R32. Now I just got the new MK7 R few months ago and was pleasantly surprised that my micro-can unit stills work with the MK7 Golf. However is there any potential concern using this obsolete interface with newer versions, create some problems on new control modules such as the MIB2 one?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Thanks for the clarification Uwe, you are right, I got mine on 2007, when I purchased my 2008 R32. Now I just got the new MK7 R few months ago and was pleasantly surprised that my micro-can unit stills work with the MK7 Golf. However is there any potential concern using this obsolete interface with newer versions, create some problems on new control modules such as the MIB2 one?
Not that I'm aware of. I expect you'll be OK if you use 15.7.4 or newer, but I can't give you an iron-clad guarantee either.

-Uwe-

PepeVr6

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=47704
Uwe Hi,
When I was logging the adaptations Channels (Controller Channel Map) from the 5F module (MIB2) using the latest beta, I noticed that there were more channels available when compared to the "official" version 15.7.4. Is that expected? Does Beta 16.6 has the full map or more can "appear" in the future?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Uwe Hi,
When I was logging the adaptations Channels (Controller Channel Map) from the 5F module (MIB2) using the latest beta, I noticed that there were more channels available when compared to the "official" version 15.7.4. Is that expected? Does Beta 16.6 has the full map or more can "appear" in the future?
This is complicated, and I'm not in a position to give you a definitive answer at the moment. Let's put it this way: I'm not shocked that more are available in the Beta, but I also can't promise you that's all of them.

-Uwe-

Reinhold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=278556
Hello Uwe,

Tested the latest beta version. In official Version the Labels where in place, in beta they are missing for below Part. Thanks a lot

Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Part No SW: 4F5 910 401 S HW: 4F0 907 401 C
Component: 2.7L V6TDI G000CG 0010
Revision: --H05--- Serial number:
Coding: 0011382

Reactions: Uwe

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Tested the latest beta version. In official Version the Labels where in place
Which Release version were you using, English or German?

I'm not seeing an English translation of 059-910-401-BPP.LBL (which is the requisite file) in any English version...

-Uwe-

Reinhold

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=278556
Hello Uwe,

i have now installed two versions.

German 16.5 Beta - there it works
English 16.6 Beta - there label is not working

thanks