HEX-NET

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Connect your laptop to it. Is it safe to assume the laptop gets an IP address from it via DHCP? Can you show us the results of an IPCONFIG command on your laptop while it's connected to it?

-Uwe-
Ipconfig results for the 4G modem below for my Surface Pro (running windows 10 (64 bit)
DTFtzHF.png

And here's the config data for the (t)rusty Asus running Windows 7 (32 bit)
L7pYV5L.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
First you need to do is , connect your Laptop to your phone hotspot.Then your phone become router.
Once you do that , go to Hex-Net WiFi configuration in VCDS and connect to your phone which is now router .You will use password provided on hotspot . Make sure there is all Latin characters.
Then later on you can use it as router once you enable hotspot , not need anymore laptop, So on mobile app you can use VCDS cloud.

Jetta, 97: Thanks for the suggestion. From what I have observed with my set-up (i.e. using a stand alone 4G WIFI modem as distinct to tethering to a mobile phone), the problem appears to be that the modem doesn't assign an IP address to the HEX NET dongle (as is the case in your screen shots). I'm convinced that HEX NET is registered with the modem for the reasons in my previous post - there is just no IP address evident. What this means (I think) is that HEX NET mobile can't pick-up the dongle when it searches on start-up.

Curious, but as I said before - it might be that the 4G modem just isn't suitable for this application.

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Uwe: thanks for the reply - details of my 4G modem HERE
Don
Any idea who really makes this device? I realize it's Telstra branded, but I'm pretty confident they don't make it.

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Any idea who really makes this device? I realize it's Telstra branded, but I'm pretty confident they don't make it.

-Uwe-

Uwe: Not sure who actually makes the modem, but it's supplied to Telstra by ZTE see HERE

I've been plodding-about and I've had a look inside the modem (using the Admin facility) -Notwithstanding the zero IP that the HEX NET Config utility reports, odd thing is that the modem thinks that it's given NEX NET an IP Number (see below) when it's hooked up to the laptop in cable mode. However, when I remove the cable and run the dongle in IM, and I retry the admin page for the 4G modem, the HEX NET does not appear as a connected device - real curious!!

5WZ5d8j.jpg

Exactly the same behaviour on the two lap-tops. I really do suspect that the issue is with the modem (not HEX NET) .

I'm conscious that RT has devoted a serious amount of time to this problem (very much appreciated), but I suspect that it's too difficult to solve remotely. I am content to not use HEX NET in IM with my existing 4G modem - I'll investigate the option of buying a 4G router/modem that has a piggy-back USB connection for my current modem

Thanks again for your (and your team's) efforts!

Don

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Jetta, 97: Thanks for the suggestion. From what I have observed with my set-up (i.e. using a stand alone 4G WIFI modem as distinct to tethering to a mobile phone), the problem appears to be that the modem doesn't assign an IP address to the HEX NET dongle (as is the case in your screen shots). I'm convinced that HEX NET is registered with the modem for the reasons in my previous post - there is just no IP address evident. What this means (I think) is that HEX NET mobile can't pick-up the dongle when it searches on start-up.

Curious, but as I said before - it might be that the 4G modem just isn't suitable for this application.

Don

Did you wait for about 1 min, First time I had to wait about 30-40 sec till IP show up, it was also 0000.

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
i have a zte hotspot that was given to me a year or so ago. I'll see if i can find it and test .

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Does the modem allow you to change the encryption settings? Some routers support special non-standard versions of WPA encryption that might not be compatible with the HEX-NET. If you can, you could try turning encryption off on the hotspot as a test to make sure that isn't the problem.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Does the modem allow you to change the encryption settings? Some routers support special non-standard versions of WPA encryption that might not be compatible with the HEX-NET. If you can, you could try turning encryption off on the hotspot as a test to make sure that isn't the problem.

shaun: turned-off encryption as you suggested. Picture below - hard to see but it does say "security: None" (for some reason my Surface Pro doesn't like the screen sizing algorithm of the WIFI Config Utility). Alas the same result!!

Don
cVfkBaC.png

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Did you wait for about 1 min, First time I had to wait about 30-40 sec till IP show up, it was also 0000.

Jetta 97: Good suggestion- thanks!. Alas the same result - no IP address

Don

Back