HEX-NET

Gavra

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240855
I still do not have HEX-NET so I would like to know is it connected over router or directly to the laptop?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001

Gavra

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240855
Thank you for info. However if I understand correctly all goodies ( coding,adaptations) are meant to work only in infrastructure mode and using a cloud connection?

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Correct, with VCDS-Mobile, some things like Coding, Adapation, and Basic Settings will only work in infrastructure mode, where the HEX-NET is able to access the VCDS-Cloud server. Stand-alone (in AP mode), VCDS-Mobile can still do full Auto-Scans, clear fault codes, as well as look at and log t measuring values.

You can also use the HEX-NET with VCDS on a PC in stand-alone (AP) mode.

-Uwe-

Gavra

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240855
Ok, so that is correct ONLY for mobile version? PC can do all coding and basic setting without cloud?

I like new technology and new gadgets , but I hate to depend on mu ISP or mobile 4G coverage to finish job ,that's why I am trying to get all info before I make any purchase....

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Ok, so that is correct ONLY for mobile version? PC can do all coding and basic setting without cloud?
Correct. The Windows version of VCDS continues to work just as it always has, even when using a HEX-NET via WiFi.

-Uwe-

Gavra

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240855
Thank you. If it's not a big problem , maybe you should send email to all verified users when trade-in/upgrade program comes to life ;)

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680

I like new technology and new gadgets , but I hate to depend on mu ISP or mobile 4G coverage to finish job ,that's why I am trying to get all info before I make any purchase....
If you have hotspot in your phone then you can set it up to work in infrastructure mode,and you will be surprised how low data usage is.
With AP mode , you not using any of phone data , Hex-Net works like router where phone connect to it.

Gavra

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=240855
It is not about usage of data, I use flat rate for all. Main problem is that some other brands I work on require online access for programming and coding,and that is creating so much problems for work. Only one packet lost equals dead module, and some of newer types are really expensive .

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Still trying to understand Infrastructure mode - had a few wins, but got a question for anyone who can help - please.

Wins: have successfully established a couple of IM profiles (for my router and for a repeater modem near the workshop). I've also been able to set-up and use VCDS mobile on my cheap Android tablet with the dongle in IM
Problem: My basic dilemma is that I have lousy internet speed when using the ADSL2 landline (the issue is the physical distance between my residence and the local telephone exchange - and the crappy copper-wire network that Australia uses for telephony services). However, there is a 4G mobile telephone tower near-by and I have a WIFI mobile telephone modem that connects to my laptop and tablet . I don't have a "smart-phone" (there's a word-count limit on this forum, so I don't have the space in this post to explain why this is so!).

Using VCDS mobile on the tablet is OK , but cloud connection is flakey using the landline modem as the screen shot below suggests
nVWizZ5.png

I can't setup a profile for IM using the mobile telephone modem because it won't register an IP address on the NEX-NET configuration Utility (the 4G modem is not a router). Is there a way of using my 4G WIFI modem as the comms link to my tablet/laptop for the purpose of HEX-NET?

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I have a WIFI mobile telephone modem that connects to my laptop and tablet .
[...]
I can't setup a profile for IM using the mobile telephone modem because it won't register an IP address on the NEX-NET configuration Utility (the 4G modem is not a router). Is there a way of using my 4G WIFI modem as the comms link to my tablet/laptop for the purpose of HEX-NET?
I'm confused.. How do your laptop or tablet connect to the 4G modem if it doesn't act as a router? Can you provide a link to some specs for the 4G modem so we can better understand what you have?

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Uwe: thanks for the reply - details of my 4G modem HERE
Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well, it claims it's a "mobile Wi-Fi router".

However, sometimes such "routers" give internet access to multiple devices, but block those devices from seeing each other. Still, the HEX-NET should be able to connect to it.

Plug the HEX-NET into your PC via USB. Make sure the 4G modem/router is on and active. Verify this using your tablet.

Start the Configuration Utility on your PC.
[Configure WiFi]
[Scan for Network]

Does your 4G Modem/Router not show up in the results?

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Well, it claims it's a "mobile Wi-Fi router".

However, sometimes such "routers" give internet access to multiple devices, but block those devices from seeing each other. Still, the HEX-NET should be able to connect to it.

Plug the HEX-NET into your PC via USB. Make sure the 4G modem/router is on and active.

Verify this using your tablet.

Start the Configuration Utility on your PC.
[Configure WiFi]
[Scan for Network]

Does your 4G Modem/Router not show up in the results?

-Uwe-

Thanks for these instructions - I don't feel so stupid as this is pretty-much what I tried previously!!!:):)

Here's my active list of modems - LAN, Repeater and 4G (the one highlighted)
1m0QCZc.jpg

Here's the screen shot after I "pair" with the 4G modem and set it as the active profile:
FtsaK9m.jpg

Everything is accepted, but note the IP address?

Reactions: Uwe

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
that can happen if the password is rejected. Are there any unusual characters or spaces in your password?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Are there any characters or spaces in your password?
There better be some characters in his password. I think you mean "unusual" characters? ;)

-Uwe-

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
that can happen if the password is rejected. Are there any unusual characters or spaces in your password?

Santos: Thanks for the reply. Good suggestion- I had noticed that when the incorrect password is entered into the HEX NET for the 4G modem it had a zero IP address (why doesn't the config utility simply give me a suitable expletive when this happens?).

However, other than because I have tried pairing the HEX NET about 200 times already to the 4G modem (OK, perhaps this is a bit of an exaggeration), I'm more than convinced that my typing skills have been accurate because the screen on the modem tells me how many devices are registered with it. Here's the screen shot from the 4G modem:
JWEWYjS.jpg

Sorry that the picture is a little out-of-focus, but I hope that you can make-out the number "2" that I have enclosed within the yellow box. The "2" refers to the successful registration of the laptop and the HEX NET dongle with the 4G modem (the number increased from "1" after I activated the HEX NET profile)

As I see it, the 4G modem when used in this configuration acts as a local WIFI hotspot. Used in this fashion, can it dole out IP address like a traditional router? Perhaps the 4G modem is just not suitable for this application

Don

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Connect your laptop to it. Is it safe to assume the laptop gets an IP address from it via DHCP? Can you show us the results of an IPCONFIG command on your laptop while it's connected to it?

-Uwe-

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
First you need to do is , connect your Laptop to your phone hotspot.Then your phone become router.
Once you do that , go to Hex-Net WiFi configuration in VCDS and connect to your phone which is now router .You will use password provided on hotspot . Make sure there is all Latin characters.
Then later on you can use it as router once you enable hotspot , not need anymore laptop, So on mobile app you can use VCDS cloud.

jFuYW4sh8UebyfOuifYTtmStuCYHUUBH-g5rSmrdNrGJYlg-1rHB1RF7TnffkXcyb1muNCSuUFS-bltMJBwl5abz2D8dMWoFYifR8yA-nXBGZEcd_EeBj4jQPLeF7NFbP6RNjtRoFpM18tvKckMKPYb-32UU-5miszieFB7MaHCbGDwAibDArop6gykJLhX1t3n35f2utR2g6TLm9jaimX-2JgnNw_E8jqBJiKI5t1RfOf2RMTb2xNcLMdYHS9G04s87z6NQMjrdw2iUCK48kzgbXfT2OQnBw-dPqfd6z4M_BMS59ITNWVexaOwLpyknjoKs_YD6nq1gQ3pXJM6MeDowYX8i4dhC3f8aYrcHoxVpxj843se0F8Lg8pfExERCfsoh9OtdioNKC03MgDvhcrfoWqpd2sOZJXVq7NHdLk4Z9Wtbcuhxjeih4jByV981mIk-fNndcqevXOd9FmVGu_VbXkaag8cRC0TlrmG-YitFXtomNljF4asSAHWsr84dkPiyZbiWNsuah85vMVFxcUx8zLS8ACuRmLXwvbcI9adHOD0e3DmyMCeF_55ksrOjUZ9oCcbu2dtHvuamY2xt1WUtX4wvknY=w387-h635-no

Back