Not open for further replies.

mabnz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279595
Hey guys

I'm taking receipt of a 2016 Skoda Octavia RS here soon, and I'm not sure which VCDS version to buy.

A few links I've followed say the MicroCAN will do what I need (in an enthusiast capacity), but others say I need HEX-NET Pro for some really new 2016+ vehicles.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Cheers

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
It's possible there might be some obscure modules that you will not be able to access with a Micro-CAN. It really depends on how the car is equipped. If you ordered it full of every bell and whistle possible, a HEX-NET would be safer. If the car is fairly basic, a Micro-CAN will be fine.

-Uwe-

mabnz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279595
It's got all the adaptive cruise and lane departure steering options, as well as electric seats and things. Maybe HEX-Net then. What are the differences in capability between HEX-NET and HEX-USB+CAN?

Next question - I've been reading and it looks like there are some problems setting 5F options (what is this?) on MIB2. What is MIB2, and will I have it?

Also, what is MY16?

Sorry for the newbie questions :)

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
MIB2 is the current "Infotainment" system (accessed via address 5F) in most MQB cars.

The problems you're referencing were resolved in version 15.7.3.

-Uwe-

mabnz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279595
Thanks for the advice.

Once I receive it, is there anything I should do to take a backup of the settings prior to messing around? Is there a new users guide or an FAQ available?

Thanks again.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Backing up the car settings: Make and save an Auto-Scan, and make Adaptation Channel Maps of any modules where you intend to play with Adaptations (particularly the BCM and the MIB2) before you change anything.

If you intend to play extensively and you don't already have one, get a decent battery charger to keep your battery happy without having to let the engine idle the whole time.

As for using the HEX-NET itself, if you will be using VCDS on a Windows PC via USB, it's quite literally plug & play. If you intend to use it via WiFi or you plan to use VCDS-Mobile, please watch the videos in these threads:

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?4413-HEX-NET-Getting-started-video
http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?23-HEX-NET-Introductory-Videos

-Uwe-

mabnz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279595
Thanks.

Lastly, will the dealer be able to tell if I've made modifications using VCDS?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC424490
Thanks.

Lastly, will the dealer be able to tell if I've made modifications using VCDS?

MY16 means Model Year 2016. VCDS and VCDS-Mobile are only able to make the same changes that the factory scan tools are able to, changes that the engineers who designed each control module for each car, put in there as possibilities. That said, if a dealer or factory were to compare all of the settings in your car to what they would expect to see from the factory, they could find differences. They would not be able to tell what tool made those changes though.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
mabnz: If it helps, I've written a short paper on how to create a database for the mk7 - exactly for folk like you that are about to enter the fabulous world of VCDS, and especially for anyone who has access to control modules in their "virgin" state. Don't be put-off by the reference to "mk7"- it's equally valid for any VAG model.

My paper is nothing special and it basically follows Uwe's sage advice in the post above - but it does put the steps together in a single document. If you are interested, you can pull-down a copy HERE.
Don

mabnz

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=279595
mabnz: If it helps, I've written a short paper on how to create a database for the mk7 - exactly for folk like you that are about to enter the fabulous world of VCDS, and especially for anyone who has access to control modules in their "virgin" state. Don't be put-off by the reference to "mk7"- it's equally valid for any VAG model.

My paper is nothing special and it basically follows Uwe's sage advice in the post above - but it does put the steps together in a single document. If you are interested, you can pull-down a copy HERE.
Don

Thanks Don, that's really helpful! Once I receive my vehicle I'll give it a go. Ordered in Feb, still waiting..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back