Developer Mode Access on MIB-units

Drive

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=177241
I cannot seem to access Developer mode with VCDS. Only VCP and this cheap little OBDeleven-thing can do it - but VCDS cannot?
I just get "Out of range"-error when I try to enable it in adaptations...
Can someone please enlighten me, WHY?

Drive

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=177241
It is that car :) But I haven't heard about anyone with VCDS that has enabled developer mode in 5F for MIB1 or MIB2 on MK7 Golf's...

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I don't recall anyone else mentioning it either. Honestly, playing with infotainment systems isn't our highest priority. But we'll look into it. :)

-Uwe-

PS: Just curious: What do you hope to achieve by enabling developer mode?

Drive

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=177241
Cheers Uwe!

There are a lot of interesting stuff in there. I'm going to change some audio settings, there is a loudness function which I want to turn off - as I installed a sound system. That way I can ensure that the signal sent to the DSP is cleanest as possible. Other than that there are some options related to Google earth/traffic, so might worth a shot to see if those can be enabled :)

The meny looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPZ8ILzu4nc

I appreciate your efforts guys, keep up the good work!

DJAlix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238277
I asked this question of the A3 8V MMI units a while a go but after activating via other means there is not much that can be done. It all seems to be very diagnostic orientated with very few useful options available within the standard MMI, even less options within the TechPack menu.

Drive

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=177241
Nothing useful at all, DJAlix? That might be Audi MMI which is slightly different, no?

DJAlix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238277
I believe the units are basically the same, Nvidia QNX boxes, but have different graphics / skins. I believe the VW's have a few nicer options than Audi also. For the most part it all looks the same once within the "Green" menu from the videos I have seen. My test car has a standard MMI system with SD Nav and DAB (VW small screen system MIB1 I believe) and all I can "play around" with is:

-A fair number of AM/FM radio tuner timing settings (kinda useless)
-Input gains for all available devices - DVD, AUX, BT, Radio, iPod etc etc (can be set from normal menus / settings anyway)
-Stand by, Time out and power down settings (kinda useful)
-Menu Positions / Page Orders (I think - Not tested)
-Auto Brightness (On / Off - The only setting I found useful)
-Loads, and I mean loads of on/off data logging options (for everything from Radio to Voice Control)

Would post up some screen shots but am not sure how...

There are a good number of other settings also but nothing that you cannot set via the normal menu / settings screens... like brightness, Lowering volumes etc. I had a play with a MMI TechPack System the other week (VW large screen with HD Nav Google Maps MIB1 - like the video you posted) and I was lost. The menu structor was totally different and there were no tick boxes. In fact the menu system looked more like a "file" structor with nothing contained within the folders.

Actually I do remember there being an option to turn off Loudness though, on the standard MMI system.

Drive

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=177241
Thanks a lot for summarizing your observations mate! :)

There seem to be a lot of interesting stuff for me in there, I cannot wait - Uwe! :D

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
I cannot seem to access Developer mode with VCDS. Only VCP and this cheap little OBDeleven-thing can do it - but VCDS cannot?
I just get "Out of range"-error when I try to enable it in adaptations...
Can someone please enlighten me, WHY?

Drive: I participated in a discussion on this same matter yesterday in the VWW forum! If you look carefully at OBD11's instructional video for this tweak, you will see that access to the "development mode" is NOT through the normal "adapation" menu. Rather access is gained through something they call "Change Service" (see screen-shot below).

NSgu2la.png

I have no idea how this facility differs from their adaptation menu, but I suspect that it is an internal "mini-App". I do know that "development mode" does not work on my MIB1 unit, so it appears to be specific to MIBII.

Just a suggestion, it seems logical (to me at least) that when the coding boffins at VW designed this adaptation channel, they would have thought it prudent to restrict access to the "development mode". It therefore seem likely that there would be a security access code needed (perhaps even a specific SA) to gain entry to the facility - unless RT knows of another "covert" entry method into the adaption channel space within control modules. My suspicion is that the mini-App in OBD11 contains this SA. I suggested the SA 20103 to a VWW forum colleague, but I understand that whilst the code was accepted by the MIBII unit, it didn't allow access to this particular adaptation channel.

I believe that this is just another example of needing to find a new SA for the latest generation control modules on MQB platform vehicles!!

Don

Last edited:

DJAlix

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=238277
This is kinda how another product beginning with V does it, well session wise anyway.

Drive

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=177241
Don: It is possible to enable developer mode for MIB1, not with VCDS however the possibility is there. I don't think there are differences between MIB1 and 2 in this matter.

It might be another SA as you say... To pinpoint that a bit, have you seen a controller module accepting different SAs before? I believe in VCP you need to access engineering mode in order to enable developer mode. I don't know, but obviously it cannot be that difficult - I believe Uwe will find a fix! :)

@Uwe: Let me know if you need anything specific from my infotainment unit.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Don: It is possible to enable developer mode for MIB1, not with VCDS however the possibility is there. I don't think there are differences between MIB1 and 2 in this matter.

It might be another SA as you say... To pinpoint that a bit, have you seen a controller module accepting different SAs before? I believe in VCP you need to access engineering mode in order to enable developer mode. I don't know, but obviously it cannot be that difficult - I believe Uwe will find a fix! :)

@Uwe: Let me know if you need anything specific from my infotainment unit.

Drive: I'm just surmising with the SA hypothesis - I'm a firm believer in Occam's-razor!!

As to your specific question there is currently an exercise happening in VWVortex (and Golfmk7 - I hope) trying to find the new SA for the latest version instrument control module (address Hex17) for 2016 NAR mk7s. The old SA no longer works on these cars. So the answer is yes!!

Don

PS: Yes, I agree - Uwe and his band of merry-men (and women) doubtless will find the solution!!

Dana

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
The guys just tested a few things and our current Beta is technically capable but they need to see how this can be implemented for customer use.

Drive

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=177241
The guys just tested a few things and our current Beta is technically capable but they need to see how this can be implemented for customer use.

Perfect!!! Looking forward to this :)

Drive

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=177241
@Ross-tech: Any update on this? If it will take too long I need to consider another type of dongle/cable... I understand it is not priority for you guys but is it possible to get an estimate of when this will be available?

Last edited:
Back