Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Developer Mode Access on MIB-units

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Angry Developer Mode Access on MIB-units

I cannot seem to access Developer mode with VCDS. Only VCP and this cheap little OBDeleven-thing can do it - but VCDS cannot?
    I just get "Out of range"-error when I try to enable it in adaptations...
    Can someone please enlighten me, WHY?

Post Thanks / Like
    Please post a complete Auto-Scan from this vehicle if it isn't this car

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is that car But I haven't heard about anyone with VCDS that has enabled developer mode in 5F for MIB1 or MIB2 on MK7 Golf's...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't recall anyone else mentioning it either. Honestly, playing with infotainment systems isn't our highest priority. But we'll look into it.

-Uwe-

PS: Just curious: What do you hope to achieve by enabling developer mode?
    Lock-down of sick people: Quarantine
    Lock-down of healthy people: Tyranny

5. Likes Drive, Danners74 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Uwe!

There are a lot of interesting stuff in there. I'm going to change some audio settings, there is a loudness function which I want to turn off - as I installed a sound system. That way I can ensure that the signal sent to the DSP is cleanest as possible. Other than that there are some options related to Google earth/traffic, so might worth a shot to see if those can be enabled

The meny looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPZ8ILzu4nc

I appreciate your efforts guys, keep up the good work!

7. Likes Danners74 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I asked this question of the A3 8V MMI units a while a go but after activating via other means there is not much that can be done. It all seems to be very diagnostic orientated with very few useful options available within the standard MMI, even less options within the TechPack menu.
    VAG Car Coding
    Adaptation | Coding | Diagnostic | Retrofit - London, United Kingdom

Authorised VW Group Services Provider and Independent Repairer
    @vagcarcoding

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing useful at all, DJAlix? That might be Audi MMI which is slightly different, no?

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the units are basically the same, Nvidia QNX boxes, but have different graphics / skins. I believe the VW's have a few nicer options than Audi also. For the most part it all looks the same once within the "Green" menu from the videos I have seen. My test car has a standard MMI system with SD Nav and DAB (VW small screen system MIB1 I believe) and all I can "play around" with is:

-A fair number of AM/FM radio tuner timing settings (kinda useless)
    -Input gains for all available devices - DVD, AUX, BT, Radio, iPod etc etc (can be set from normal menus / settings anyway)
    -Stand by, Time out and power down settings (kinda useful)
    -Menu Positions / Page Orders (I think - Not tested)
    -Auto Brightness (On / Off - The only setting I found useful)
    -Loads, and I mean loads of on/off data logging options (for everything from Radio to Voice Control)

Would post up some screen shots but am not sure how...

There are a good number of other settings also but nothing that you cannot set via the normal menu / settings screens... like brightness, Lowering volumes etc. I had a play with a MMI TechPack System the other week (VW large screen with HD Nav Google Maps MIB1 - like the video you posted) and I was lost. The menu structor was totally different and there were no tick boxes. In fact the menu system looked more like a "file" structor with nothing contained within the folders.

Actually I do remember there being an option to turn off Loudness though, on the standard MMI system.
    VAG Car Coding
    Adaptation | Coding | Diagnostic | Retrofit - London, United Kingdom

Authorised VW Group Services Provider and Independent Repairer
    @vagcarcoding

11. Likes Drive liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks a lot for summarizing your observations mate!

There seem to be a lot of interesting stuff for me in there, I cannot wait - Uwe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Drive View Post
    I cannot seem to access Developer mode with VCDS. Only VCP and this cheap little OBDeleven-thing can do it - but VCDS cannot?
    I just get "Out of range"-error when I try to enable it in adaptations...
    Can someone please enlighten me, WHY?
    Drive: I participated in a discussion on this same matter yesterday in the VWW forum! If you look carefully at OBD11's instructional video for this tweak, you will see that access to the "development mode" is NOT through the normal "adapation" menu. Rather access is gained through something they call "Change Service" (see screen-shot below).

I have no idea how this facility differs from their adaptation menu, but I suspect that it is an internal "mini-App". I do know that "development mode" does not work on my MIB1 unit, so it appears to be specific to MIBII.

Just a suggestion, it seems logical (to me at least) that when the coding boffins at VW designed this adaptation channel, they would have thought it prudent to restrict access to the "development mode". It therefore seem likely that there would be a security access code needed (perhaps even a specific SA) to gain entry to the facility - unless RT knows of another "covert" entry method into the adaption channel space within control modules. My suspicion is that the mini-App in OBD11 contains this SA. I suggested the SA 20103 to a VWW forum colleague, but I understand that whilst the code was accepted by the MIBII unit, it didn't allow access to this particular adaptation channel.

I believe that this is just another example of needing to find a new SA for the latest generation control modules on MQB platform vehicles!!

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 04-19-2016 at 08:26 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

14. Likes Drive liked this post