99 VW Beetle key coding

Low_keysGarage

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=274718
I have VCDS for 05 and up but I need to code a key for a 99 VW beetle. I don't want to spend another 300 bucks if I don't have to right now but I have no luck finding someone near me willing to come do it. What model should I buy to get this job done cheaply as possible? Thanks

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Are you sure the Beetle in question is a 1999? 'Cause if so, no key-coding is needed; they didn't have immobilizers until MY2000.

-Uwe-

Santos

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Your order was placed on hold . Since you own a Micro-CAN, Purchasing a KII at full price is not recommended. You are better off trading in your micro-CAN towards a HEX-USB+CAN. Cost is $159 and will work on VW/Audi from 1995-2016

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/uHUC.html

Owning a KII-USB and a Micro-CAN will still lack CAN based Audi support.

Please give us a call and speak with Helen. She can adjust your order.

Reactions: Uwe

Low_keysGarage

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=274718
I knew I should have waited to order it. I will call tomorrow. I actually need the thing asap as I need to get the car running. The original key way lost and the dealer they bought the new key at did not inform them it needed coding. They had it towed to me for t belt and water pump and they don't want to get it towed to a dealer and pay for the tow and the coding (250+ bucks). Its their daughters car and they are trying to get it running for her again. The car starts and immediately dies and the security light on the dash is flashing. Thanks for the help guys especially you Santos.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
What's the VIN of this car? I'm having a hard time with the notion that it's a 1999.

Also, do you have some means of getting the PIN (security) code necessary to match a key?

-Uwe-

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
I knew I should have waited to order it. I will call tomorrow. I actually need the thing asap as I need to get the car running. The original key way lost and the dealer they bought the new key at did not inform them it needed coding. They had it towed to me for t belt and water pump and they don't want to get it towed to a dealer and pay for the tow and the coding (250+ bucks). Its their daughters car and they are trying to get it running for her again. The car starts and immediately dies and the security light on the dash is flashing. Thanks for the help guys especially you Santos.
Agree with UWE , that car is not 99.

If you need help on key programing , contact me direct.

Low_keysGarage

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=274718
10/99 so its a 2000. I figure the pin would have to come from the dealer then. Should I just tell them to take it to a dealer? Just trying to save them some money and help them out. First time messing with anything like this.

Low_keysGarage

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=274718
I emailed you...Thanks man
Agree with UWE , that car is not 99.

If you need help on key programing , contact me direct.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
10/99 so its a 2000.
People need to stop paying attention to the date a car was built (or the Brits to when it was first registered with their silly "plate" nonsense) and look at the VIN. The VIN tells you the model year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number#Model_year_encoding

... and the model year determines how a car is equipped.

I figure the pin would have to come from the dealer then. Should I just tell them to take it to a dealer? Just trying to save them some money and help them out. First time messing with anything like this.
Dealers are not really in a position to give you a PIN code. Their tool gets it from VW's server and never shows it to them.

-Uwe-

Low_keysGarage

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=274718
Very good info sir. I think I am going to send my micro-can back and swap for the hex-can-usb. I spoke with jetta,97 and will be taking parts to him for repair since I need to get this car done and don't have a lot of time.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I spoke with jetta,97 and will be taking parts to him for repair since I need to get this car done and don't have a lot of time.
If you're close to him (and it seems you are) I'm confident he can help.

-Uwe-

Low_keysGarage

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=274718
My micro is on its way back in exchange for the CAN HEX cable. jetta,97 has the beetle parts. Thanks for everything guys. Now hopefully I can figure out the issue with my Jetta.

Low_keysGarage

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=274718
Yep not far. My customer is happy and you also have a happy new customer. Thanks for everything man.

forcedfedbug

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=54588
Well 2 days a searching and finally found my answer. I purchased a 99 beetle the other day and had 2 keys ordered. The instructions stated, No coding instructions were found for your model year. Please take the keys to a locksmith and have the car coded there(cheeper than the dealer.) Since I have a 2000 with the same motor code I was looking for instructions on how to code the keys for this car. Here its stated the 99 cars dont need coding in order to work. Thank you guys for all the work you did 2.5 years ago.

Ron

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Well 2 days a searching and finally found my answer. I purchased a 99 beetle the other day and had 2 keys ordered. The instructions stated, No coding instructions were found for your model year. Please take the keys to a locksmith and have the car coded there(cheeper than the dealer.) Since I have a 2000 with the same motor code I was looking for instructions on how to code the keys for this car. Here its stated the 99 cars dont need coding in order to work.
Correct. A 1999 US model does not yet have immobilizer. ROW cars did though...

-Uwe-

Back