Key Activation Snafu

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Can I use VCDS-Lite to program or reset the cluster to change the MVB CH23 to read 1,1,1,6?
I'm really not sure what's up with the 1 in the last field or how one might go about getting it back to a documented value.

-Uwe-

Jetta 97

Professional User
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=81680
Hi Uwe,

Logging in to module 01 returned the login accepted dialog.

Do you have any experience with KermaTDI Immobilizer Delete? They are mentioned at MyturboDeisel. This looks like it would solve my problem but I would like a more experienced viewpoint before I pull the trigger. Aside from a possible flashing immo light and the car would be less secure is there a downside? are there immo off alternatives?

I did see a cluster for sale at Tom's Auto Parts. It has a VIN listed. I'm not sure I could get a PIN though. Plus, the problem could be in the steering column. But it's cheaper than KermaTDI.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Rgds

On A4 if you delete immobilizer you will have all time hazards On and A/C will not work.
So on that car Immo delete is not good.

After you login , What is happening when you go to ch21 and put number of the keys, that when you press 'TEST" "SAVE"?
MVB CH23 1,1,1,6 looks good, means all adopted and key is authorized.

CartronicSolutions

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC804117 (2nd hand?)
The locksmith changed the immobilizer system status from 6 (adapted) to 1 (virgin) during the PIN read. Now the immo status has to be manually changed to 6 (adapted), given that the immo identity was retained. Adaptation with VCDS should also be possible and it will change to adapted with handshake/programming by PIN/SKC. VCDS adaptation procedure with PIN/SKC is only possible when you have 2 out of 3 matching components. So when adapting a cluster, you will need original ECU and key transponder locked to the immo identity. If cluster is in mode 1 and immo light is flashing, coding might not be possible. At times, manual matching of the immo identity has to take place between ECU and cluster, then key transponders coded in.

The Bosch RB4 Crypto found on 2002-2005 A4/S4 is very tricky and sensitive. Most EEPROM/Secure block damage occurs on tampering or interrogating for PIN/SKC with wrong tools. DEF/Error can easily appear on corrupted secure block/crypto area withing the cluster. When adapting a used cluster most need to be set to virgin mode for re adaptation. Others don't. All is dependent on part # and software version.

Reactions: Uwe

aroundi

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275992
fyi - from auto scan the instrument cluster is KOMBI+WEGFAHRS. RB8 D29, not RB4. I'm not sure of the difference but I've seen multiple 2002 A4 referenced while researching this problem, some with RB4 and some with RB8.

Key Adaption is not working for me, but I'm wondering if instead to use the Immo 3 cluster Swapping procedure i.e. login go to CH050 login again. Would this reset the cluster?

CartronicSolutions

Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC804117 (2nd hand?)
RB8 reference type is typically found on a B7 2005.5-2008 cluster with Immo4 (w/challenge - response system). However, its possible to have a B6 2002-2005 cluster with Immo3 and see RB8 label on it. This depends on part # and if the cluster has previously been replaced by the dealer (superseded version installed).

You should be able to "handshake" the cluster via Adaptation CH50 with an original transponder previously locked to the immo system, and it "should" change to Mode 6 (Adapted), then proceed with key coding. If you get an error, the cluster needs manual matching/coding as it can't be done by "handshake" method via VCDS or even Dealer w/Geko (online access).

aroundi

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275992
Hi CartronicSolutions,

Thank you for the information. Can you tell me if I attempt the "handshake" CH50 and am unsuccessful do I risk doing further damage that may prevent someone from doing the manual matching/coding?

aroundi

Verified VCDS-Lite User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=275992
Did cluster swapping procedure. Problem solved.

Back