Status
Not open for further replies.

PanEuropean

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=11844
There is a very informative article published in the Ross-Tech Wiki that explains how users can collect data (.PLA and .PLB files) from vehicles, this to assist Ross-Tech to better document controllers within the VCDS application. That Wiki article is at this link: Control Module Maps.

I have two questions to ask the author of this article, because I'm not 100% sure of things after reading this article.

Published Article in Ross-Tech Wiki said:
Control modules using the newest UDS/ODX protocol require a special .ROD file for VCDS to interpret data and they do not support traditional Measuring Blocks or Adaptation channel numbers. Since no data is readable without a .ROD file, there is no way for VCDS to interrogate all possible Measuring Blocks or Adaptation Values if those aren't already documented. In other words, the Controller Channels Map function does not work with control modules using the UDS/ODX protocol. If you run a Debug Level: 2 as described below, any control modules using UDS will be skipped and PLA/PLB files will not be retrieved.

OK, taking note of the last sentence (my bold), how do I then go about collecting information from control modules that use the UDS/ODX protocol so that I can submit this information to Ross-Tech?

Published Article in Ross-Tech Wiki said:
We are continuously working on improving ... the VCDS label files, therefore it's very helpful to have maps from modules which are either new, undocumented or incomplete yet.

Historically, label files have been text files that have the suffix .lbl appended to them. I've written a number of them myself (primarily for the 3D0 and 3W0 platforms). I notice, though, that in some autoscan reports I have generated for recent production cars, the label files referenced within the autoscan report sometimes have the suffix .clb rather than .lbl - is .clb a new kind of label file? Is a .clb file a label file for a UDS/ODX protocol controller, and .lbl a label file for an older generation controller? I am a bit confused about this.

Michael

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
OK, taking note of the last sentence (my bold), how do I then go about collecting information from control modules that use the UDS/ODX protocol so that I can submit this information to Ross-Tech?
Without a ROD file to start with, it's not possible.

Historically, label files have been text files that have the suffix .lbl appended to them. I've written a number of them myself (primarily for the 3D0 and 3W0 platforms). I notice, though, that in some autoscan reports I have generated for recent production cars, the label files referenced within the autoscan report sometimes have the suffix .clb rather than .lbl - is .clb a new kind of label file? Is a .clb file a label file for a UDS/ODX protocol controller, and .lbl a label file for an older generation controller? I am a bit confused about this.
CLB files are just LBL files that are encrypted. Unfortunately we found it necessary to do this because so many others were taking the data that we (and people like you) had gathered in those files and using it, either verbatim in (wannabe) competitive products, or without attribution to sell some only peripherally related stuff.

-Uwe-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back