Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Testbench setup?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi thanks for that extra and superb info i even rigged up the steering control module today lol only thing i have left is the bcm which was next on my list... i have a few mk7 clusters as i code them in etc and can remove cp via geko but i wanted a to set a rig up on my bench to experiment further and to power up clusters to check mileage on them etc without the need of a physical car as when i try them in a car have to code the original ones back etc ball ache... im going to try change the adaptations on a cluster then try it on the bench ps i get no ignition lights on the bench whatsoever as yet

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^Jimmy: Please share any observations that you make - I'm very interested in your findings

Don

PS: If you want to sell a spare hex17 module and you are willing to accommodate the appalling FX exchange rate between our countries, please let me know!
    PPS: If you have a yen to read more about cluster illumination in the mk7, HERE is a description from the deranged ramblings of a decrepit mind! It's purely a guess which is likely to be completely wrong, but which may provide an insight into what's happening inside the instrument module
    Last edited by DV52; 10-12-2016 at 07:26 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

3. Likes XaGiCo, Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don, where did you get the female OBDII connector and lead? Did you use an RT OBDII extender - or get something more local?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure where Don got his, but we buy the ones we use for test setups here:
    http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...cks-black.html

You would need some of these pins to go with 'em:
    http://www.obd2cables.com/products/o...al-j1962f.html

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes Zenerdiode liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenerdiode View Post
    Don, where did you get the female OBDII connector and lead? Did you use an RT OBDII extender - or get something more local?
    Zenerdiode: I'm sure that the units that Uwe recomends are of better quality, but I wasn't too fussed about quality for the test jig (it was a case of cheap-and-nasty will suffice). Purchased mine from eBay (see below). Alas supplier is China - but doubtless delivery to UK is quicker than to the distant continent that I live-on!

Don

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OBD2-OBDI...cAAOSwi0RX0f2j

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OBD2-OBDI...3D282167786896
    Last edited by DV52; 11-20-2016 at 03:08 PM.

8. Likes Uwe, Zenerdiode liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much to both of you.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I am stumped about what to do next. I have a testbed of an Audi MMI3GP main unit, screen, keyboard, gateway all connected to my VCDS cable. All seems to work OK, but I cannot play with the Bluetooth and WLAN which ask me to turn the ignition on.

The main unit has no terminal 15 connector, so I assume it gets ignition on messages through the MOST optical network. Reading through this thread I believe I need a J519 to produce these messages over the CAN bus to the gateway which connects to the main unit by the MOST??? My problem is how I connect up the power to the J519 in order to get it producing the ignition on messages.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    This may be an occasion of having to swallow a bird to catch the spider, having swallowed the spider to catch the fly...

The T15 signal is distributed around the network from 19-CAN gateway, but in order for 19 to know to send it; it needs to have a message from 05-Access/Start Authorisation. Of course, this needs matched keys.
    Last edited by Zenerdiode; 02-07-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Spilling Mistoke

12. Likes Uwe, ibis_white liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you are saying that after eating the bird, spider and fly I'm stuffed ;-)

It does make sense that producing the ignition on messages needs to be controlled in some way. This is modern cars for you. I guess I'll have to do the Bluetooth/WLAN fiddling in the car.

Thank you for your reply.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zenerdiode: If you ever find an easy-to-use CAN message emulator that doesn't cost the annual budget for a small African nation - I'm all ears! It shouldn't be difficult to do with a PC , a DAC and an interfacing circuit!

Don

15. Likes Zenerdiode liked this post