Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Testbench setup?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Invested some 4-5hrs and made my own little testbench out of leftover factory wiring and connectors. Powered it by an old 500W ATX computer power supply. Its for setting up 3Q098065x Lane Assist cameras, MQB-style PDC modules and instrument clusters with the 32pin blue connector on the VW PQ platform. It has provisions to add stuff on Infotainment and Comfort CAN busses.

Picture

I wired it so when powered up, terminal 15 is always on. This shouldn't pose a problem with any said modules which take a direct terminal 15 input to work correctly? I only have a gateway at the moment to test with and it talked fine.
    Last edited by siLc; 06-15-2019 at 11:20 AM.

2. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by siLc View Post
    Picture

I wired it so when powered up, terminal 15 is always on. This shouldn't pose a problem with any said modules which take a direct terminal 15 input to work correctly? I only have a gateway at the moment to test with and it talked fine.
    Picture link doesn't work for me.

Most of our test-bench setups do not have a separately switchable Terminal 15 either; power them on, and both 30 and 15 are on. It usually only matters when modules do "house keeping" after terminal 15 turns off. For example, some older ECUs would only store changes to adaptation channels when that happened, and they obviously couldn't do that if Terminal 30 shut down at the same time.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Picture link doesn't work for me.

Most of our test-bench setups do not have a separately switchable Terminal 15 either; power them on, and both 30 and 15 are on. It usually only matters when modules do "house keeping" after terminal 15 turns off. For example, some older ECUs would only store changes to adaptation channels when that happened, and they obviously couldn't do that if Terminal 30 shut down at the same time.

-Uwe-
    I corrected the link - (hopefully) it works now.

Nice to know. For my purpuses, I don't think I'll be hooking up any ECU-s.

5. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ hmm......... picture is not available to me either - not sure if it's because stuff happens differently in the southern hemisphere (like water draining in a sink), but that's quite a long URL string in your post!!!
    Don

h ttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/u_3o-D25Pa6C2nJk3iPTBjPW5hibfIfEgyVpd2nuKOgJKieV7qJWS2T UI5XzdgufzuQ8L7w6Jlolv1DPQX9jgQZG8HOL3x2r9-JGFv3mL6QhV1N7YnqikGzC4dmA0i85cBFtedHwrHEVWH1U4T8M 8dO9YeF3ksZb4ynSbzAShbJYypWBfzZirdD6c_yN38rclvnVQ9 bPYcHf6Bq9973mfy4Khh6ABo09huE8E5blc3i3Pugr8eAzlOTa gSRR7Rlce92Dkzcc3EsbLQIpvqmXu86FjZIfOznPbUpkwNzb7s 7BcG7C304a62wUKGVyCsNSnEX5RSDXqlAfZ9scuRx0WkciLqZE N0BSZzYYSRaIohAIidyUo6BEgcj-sWNcUYYlYJZ-tklKwD_9GjbGNzzlGCPqpiD9Mut6aCzVGxi5i-Cm6cGO-roTxhELHpmGmlSOoT4mXSLCK_oLtQYuUhfuVO3xSDxgjXzhjfr YB5yelVVhWWTjBe0UFWhJh5tlNrLLmbYdpb7R8e8GRW-uPwadnS8KL_Li-aM6QOraN1pElsJdTgwRbmpyL80mkZilFkvcpF7MVsFxokiEI2S AzCsK1PVXAzNd4IDdzRm8PrB-J-N4seoymg4xgNm4u2CDjKSXyVinieAlYkjGoA-H9qJOgDALIzA9C3_b=w2414-h1297-no
    VW Golf MkVII (MY13) - A3 8V hatch (MY17)

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's just Google Photos giving me a hard time once again...

Most PQ modules have power/GND wire gauge specified as 0,5mm2 but some have larger 1,5 to 2,5mm2. An example is the Passat B6/B7/CC CCM module. With nothing attached, would this really need 2,5mm2 gauge wiring?
    Last edited by siLc; 06-15-2019 at 11:06 PM.

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Google photos does not seem to be forum-friendly at all.

Most PQ modules have power/GND wire gauge specified as 0,5mm2 but some have larger 1,5 to 2,5mm2. An example is the Passat B6/B7/CC CCM module. With nothing attached, would this really need 2,5mm2 gauge wiring?
    I don't think so. The reason it has such large wiring in the car is that it powers lots of other stuff; lights and so on. If you just want to talk to it on the bench, you only need to power the module itself, not all the down-stream stuff that the module powers.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

1K0 gateway???
    Thanks Brett

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1975 Kombi View Post
    1K0 gateway???
    RoW Passat B7 gateway 7N0907530Q as you can see on the screen.