Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1.6TDI Engine Misfires and Stalls when Idle

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am following the cautionary route at the moment and am having some issues finding the correct removal tool for the injector (part 03L130277B). The repair manual states VAG tools T10055 (puller) and T10402 (injector remover) are needed to remove the injector, would you happen to know what equivalent part would do the job just as well as I don't really what to but the official ones from VW considering I will probably be using them once... I see you have the official part, but more reason if you're using it more regularly than me, the DIY amateur

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes...........Make one.
    Take a slap hammer or bearing puller/universal.

Attach an old injector line end with bolt and rubber o-ring to protect the injector sealing flange area.

Bang it out......done.

I will post pic in morning when I get a chance.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, please do post a picture, thanks. I think I know what you mean, attach an injector line to the high pressure port and yank it out with a puller. I don't have an old injector line but I will try and improvise. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick and dirty.......cut old line and get the threaded barb.......

Attach universal puller with bolt and o-ring as below.....

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    A picture (or a few) makes it far easier to understand. thanks.

From the looks of it, it's not the same type of injector as the one I have. The top thread looks a whole lot bigger on my injector, see below, part 03L130277B.

Perhaps the top connector can be unscrewed with the body in situ before threading something else into the bigger thread, then attaching the puller to that. Now to find a suitable connector for that if there is one off the shelf...
    Last edited by airbus; 06-06-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No it is not......you will need the OEM tool with fork to pull this....

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok slight update. I didn't require any puller for this, just a tight hand grip luckily. I swapped injectors around, still same deviation on cylinder 3 (up to +2.8). I also adapted the cylinder correction values in the ECU through VCDS to that on the moved injectors. I noted in VCDS there was a zero (0) digit at the end of every original adaptation, so I used the same convention and put a zero in on the end of every new adaptation. So if the calibration shows ABCDEF for a particular cylinder, I adapted it to show ABCDEF0 and VCDS accepted it. I guess this is right...?

I didn't reset all values in basic settings in case I messed something up, should this be done also after swapping injectors or will the ECU just relearn whatever else as time goes by? There is no discernible difference in the injection deviation logs across all 4 cylinders after vs before currently.

Time will tell whether there is any improvement in the overall idling, but initial indications are not favourable. So probably a cylinder issue. Strange how I am not getting any smoke or loss of oil if it's the cylinder/piston. Can't think of it being anything else though!

Oh well, injectors eliminated now at least...
    Last edited by airbus; 06-10-2014 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do a compression check and leak down.

Add some oil to cylinder overnight and to try and reseal rings better.

It is possible that slight carbon build up on seats could be holding valves open slightly...... causing a poor seal.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Do a compression check and leak down.

Add some oil to cylinder overnight and to try and reseal rings better.

It is possible that slight carbon build up on seats could be holding valves open slightly...... causing a poor seal.
    I will certainly consider those options now. Sticky valves sounds plausible. But with this wouldn't I also get smoke at the back...I am not getting any smoke at the back when this anomaly occurs. I have also not topped up the oil at all for the last 6000 miles hence there is no loss, so thinking pistons/rings is a non starter. I think I will source a good oil additive or just do a fresh oil change with some decent long-life oil again to see if that helps.

On the upside, I am learning lots more about engines the more this goes on

Post Thanks / Like
    Not with this thing called a particulate filter/trap