Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1.6TDI Engine Misfires and Stalls when Idle

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does this car have any carbon build up in intake ports?

Yeah slipped by me this was UDS................ automatic test sequence sounds correct to me.......did you do this yet?

You can also swap the injector to see if the deviation moves......its not that hard just need new gaskets afterward for sealing the nozzles and some say new lines but I say baaaa reuse with fine polish and lube for testing.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Uwe,

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Since the ECU uses the UDS/ODX protocol, as evidenced by:

there are not going to be a Block 200 in the traditional sense. I expect the equivalent in this ECU would be Basic Settings -> Automatic test sequence.

-Uwe-
    I did cycle through the various options available to me in Basic Settings, I also did the Automatic Test Sequence again just to be sure and it went through that fine. Under Readiness I see all items passed. I noted that when I had taken it from the dealer after they claimed to have adapted injector minimum deviation quantity, most of the items there were fail. Running the automatic test sequence solved this.

I am trying to figure out whether the dealer did indeed Perform Min. Qty Adaptation (adapting injector minimum deviation quantity), they claimed they did but I am looking to definitely confirm this. If there is a way for me to do it myself with VCDS, even better? All 4 adaptation channels showing 7 digit number on injectors check out, I am unsure whether Min. Qty Adaptation is different to this though, anyone know ??

The article which brought this all about is HERE, not my engine granted, but similar and I have most of those symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack@European_Parts View Post
    Does this car have any carbon build up in intake ports?

Yeah slipped by me this was UDS................ automatic test sequence sounds correct to me.......did you do this yet?
    Yes, done twice for good measure along with every other option in that list HERE that the system would take

You can also swap the injector to see if the deviation moves......its not that hard just need new gaskets afterward for sealing the nozzles and some say new lines but I say baaaa reuse with fine polish and lube for testing.
    Good idea, I will probably do this as a last resort.

Action plan I have at the moment in this order.
    1. Confirm I know it's not software adaptation (or lack of) causing the problem.
    If VCDS can do this on the CR engines, all the better! I tried the option 'Adapting Injection Minimum Deviation Quantity' in Basic Settings, the engine revved up and down constantly (brake pedal and accelerator pressed) for 10 minutes before I gave up on that and went to the dealer...

2. I will move on to diesel purge to see if that releases any sticking injector.

3. Inspecting and getting new injectors as a last resort.

Thank you.
    Last edited by airbus; 05-28-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK since no response to my last message I went ahead and did a diesel purge on the injector system, unfortunately it didn't make the cylinder 3 injector any better, still the same deviations, although they look to be more
    sporadic in their fluctuations now.

I am going to try it some more but was wondering whether vcds can allow revving of the engine past 2500rpm whilst the car is stationary? I think this may help while feeding the diesel
    Purge clean into the system. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would swap the injectors to see if the value moves...........

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would swap the injectors to see if the value moves...........
    OK thanks, just trying to gain the courage to do this. Is there anything I should be wary of when removing them apart from making sure I don't strip the threads Did you manage to check any of the 03L engines in your workshop to see what values constitute as 'normal' ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bahhh

You can do it.......its real easy.....valve cover splits...... without the need to remove to access.
    Pretty straight forward.

I will have some logs I believe in the morning to compare now that I was able role a Scirocco out of the bay I been working on.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bahhh

You can do it.......its real easy.....valve cover splits...... without the need to remove to access.
    Pretty straight forward.

I will have some logs I believe in the morning to compare now that I was able role a Scirocco out of the bay I been working on.
    OK that would be great thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay this is what I have.....

I believe the spec. should be @ IDLE -2.8 to........ + 2.8 Mg/H Deviation permitted.

Actual logs of deviation in car I have here at Idle.

ZYL #1 + .09 to fluctuating + .12
    ZYL #2 - .16 to fluctuating - .14
    ZYL #3 - .19 to fluctuating - .16
    ZYL #4 + .24 to fluctuating + .16

It seems to me that looking at cars with no errors.
    There seems to be a common of positive or negative deviation based on 1 & 4 being shared like 2 & 3 being shared stroke placements of piston.
    They can be inverse but it is something to note since 1&4 are at TDC while 2&3 would be at BDC.....

So yeah......... I would swap an injector to see if it moves, because even though it is within spec it is far from in correlation with others.

That correlation is not being shared in yours though.......so I might try to split the positive ones with 1 & 4 and negative with 2 & 3 just to see if it changes the balance of seat of the pants operation.

9. Likes Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jack, thanks for this info. Yes strange how spec has such a wide tolerance, perhaps that's why it isn't throwing a fault code on the ECU.

I think the swapping of the injectors is the only way to go now. Do you have much problems with seized injectors on the CR engines? I have done some research and it seems the injectors or not actually screwed into the head, instead held on on pairs via a clamp. Is a special pulling device needed to lift them out of the cylinder or is it simply a case of wiggling and pulling providing they're not seized?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct sir.........no DTC because within the threshold of operation.

I use the factory pulling tool, which attaches to the threads of the injector......... as per the repair manual.

Yeah they seem to come right out in my experience......... so far pretty easy compared to the VE ALH which get corroded.

Good luck.....