1.6TDI Engine Misfires and Stalls when Idle

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
I am following the cautionary route at the moment and am having some issues finding the correct removal tool for the injector (part 03L130277B). The repair manual states VAG tools T10055 (puller) and T10402 (injector remover) are needed to remove the injector, would you happen to know what equivalent part would do the job just as well as I don't really what to but the official ones from VW considering I will probably be using them once... I see you have the official part, but more reason if you're using it more regularly than me, the DIY amateur ;)

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Yes...........Make one.
Take a slap hammer or bearing puller/universal.

Attach an old injector line end with bolt and rubber o-ring to protect the injector sealing flange area.

Bang it out......done.

I will post pic in morning when I get a chance.

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
Yes, please do post a picture, thanks. I think I know what you mean, attach an injector line to the high pressure port and yank it out with a puller. I don't have an old injector line but I will try and improvise. Thanks.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Quick and dirty.......cut old line and get the threaded barb.......

Attach universal puller with bolt and o-ring as below.....

3ru8.jpg

xck1z.jpg

z3oa.jpg

p6yw.jpg

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
A picture (or a few) makes it far easier to understand. thanks.

From the looks of it, it's not the same type of injector as the one I have. The top thread looks a whole lot bigger on my injector, see below, part 03L130277B.
L941RgX.jpg

Perhaps the top connector can be unscrewed with the body in situ before threading something else into the bigger thread, then attaching the puller to that. Now to find a suitable connector for that if there is one off the shelf...

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
No it is not......you will need the OEM tool with fork to pull this....

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
Ok slight update. I didn't require any puller for this, just a tight hand grip luckily. I swapped injectors around, still same deviation on cylinder 3 (up to +2.8). I also adapted the cylinder correction values in the ECU through VCDS to that on the moved injectors. I noted in VCDS there was a zero (0) digit at the end of every original adaptation, so I used the same convention and put a zero in on the end of every new adaptation. So if the calibration shows ABCDEF for a particular cylinder, I adapted it to show ABCDEF0 and VCDS accepted it. I guess this is right...?

I didn't reset all values in basic settings in case I messed something up, should this be done also after swapping injectors or will the ECU just relearn whatever else as time goes by? There is no discernible difference in the injection deviation logs across all 4 cylinders after vs before currently.

Time will tell whether there is any improvement in the overall idling, but initial indications are not favourable. So probably a cylinder issue. Strange how I am not getting any smoke or loss of oil if it's the cylinder/piston. Can't think of it being anything else though!

Oh well, injectors eliminated now at least...

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Do a compression check and leak down.

Add some oil to cylinder overnight and to try and reseal rings better.

It is possible that slight carbon build up on seats could be holding valves open slightly...... causing a poor seal.

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
Do a compression check and leak down.

Add some oil to cylinder overnight and to try and reseal rings better.

It is possible that slight carbon build up on seats could be holding valves open slightly...... causing a poor seal.

I will certainly consider those options now. Sticky valves sounds plausible. But with this wouldn't I also get smoke at the back...I am not getting any smoke at the back when this anomaly occurs. I have also not topped up the oil at all for the last 6000 miles hence there is no loss, so thinking pistons/rings is a non starter. I think I will source a good oil additive or just do a fresh oil change with some decent long-life oil again to see if that helps.

On the upside, I am learning lots more about engines the more this goes on :rolleyes:

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
Not with this thing called a particulate filter/trap :p
oh yes I can see that cleaning up a load of crap coming out of the back, but no loss of oil as well, good sign I hope...

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Have you verified no intake leaks for false air present at this respective cylinder.....?

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
Have you verified no intake leaks for false air present at this respective cylinder.....?
Yes, no air leak found.

There is no oil burning so it is reasonable to summize no ring seal leak. Injectors have been ruled out. So perhaps sticky valves. Compression test is also pending.

I am going to see how the car runs under normal driving conditions in the coming days, i.e not trying to provoke the symptoms at a standstill. Thanks.

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Be sure it is not an air leak at intake and maybe consider an inspection visually of the gaskets.....especially if CR is good.

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
Here is the latest update, issue still ongoing. I replaced one injector on cylinder 3, then moved it to 4. Now thinking now of replacing the other 3. Cylinders 3 and 4 seemed to have calmed themselves down and now 1 and 2 are deviating +/-1 often when the anomaly occurs. This is the video of what this thread is about

I have seen other Youtube videos that suggest multiple injector problems so worth a shot providing I can get some cheaper known working injectors from somewhere. Not worth getting them new though as the price is pretty high at the dealer (think USD600+ per injector, crazy money). A similar vehicle with the same symptoms and cure saying 3 injectors were replaced...

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
A bit of a contrast to the last lot, which has cast doubt now on the other cylinders. I think I am right in saying that Positives are worse than negatives (i.e ECU is forcing more diesel into the cylinders for positive and leaning it for negative, so the negative is compensating for the positive deviations)?

I suspect I need to source another bunch of injectors to rule this subject out again, what do you think?

sm1HT4w.png

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
Actually it is kind of the opposite as a result.

I would say the numbers............... as close to zero, are the wanted result for deviation.

You may see even more improvement running at idle.......... if swapping currently 1 and 2, to get the balance closer.

You still want to factor in the offset for 1 and 4 piston being at TDC when 2 and 3 are at BDC......

airbus

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49226
Actually it is kind of the opposite as a result.

I would say the numbers............... as close to zero, are the wanted result for deviation.

You may see even more improvement running at idle.......... if swapping currently 1 and 2, to get the balance closer.

You still want to factor in the offset for 1 and 4 piston being at TDC when 2 and 3 are at BDC......

I am aware 0 is the deviation I want in an ideal world... But from the research I have done on the web together with feedback here, positive deviation could point to an issue with that respective cylinder (perhaps valve seal leakage/compression or piston leak). I don't think it's this on the basis that I am getting great MPG and absolutely no smoke at the back cold/warm etc. And when the car is moving, it pulls really well with no lag. I know the DPF takes out a load of smoke but surely if there was a leak and oil/unburnt fuel was getting in to the exhaust system I'd see something at the back end.

I will probably have a go in swapping 1 and 2 to see if anything happens but that will be a job for next week.

Based on what you have previously said, I am aware 1 is compensating for 4 and 2 is compensating for 3. But in this latest case 2 is not balancing out 3. Still, I have one surplus injector which I pulled out previously (that I don't know is faulty) that I could start changing with the other 3. Only issue being I don't honestly know if any injector is faulty as the readings are getting inconsistent now with what I have had in the past.

First it was deviation on cylinder 3 that was way out (even though in spec). I have since replaced injector 3 and cylinder 3 deviation was still around +2.8, then I swapped injector 3 and 4 in case the replacement injector was faulty and the big deviation stayed on 3, now I check it today and it's 1 and 2 that are in positive deviation.

I am chasing the deviation. If only I could just swap all 4 for little expense for a test to see if that did anything... At least the car is continuing to run, this could take a while :rolleyes:

Can someone please check my adaptation values input convention are right, as I see there are injectors with 7 characters and injectors with 6 characters stamped on them. Mine have 6 characters stamped on them and I recall seeing a zero (0) at the end of each of my original values in adaptation.
Example:
Injector 1 Correction Value: BJHHKD0
Stamp on Injector is BJHHKD.

I am just checking they are not screwed up values as I was following this convention in engine>adaptation when swapping injectors.

Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
I think you are confusing my reasons for swapping the injectors now......

I am just trying to move the balance to a happy spot.....based on the position of the pistons and the deviation currently displayed.

Hopefully an improvement at idle verse buying 4 new injectors.

I would absolutely try that other injector and see what deviations it creates in each cylinder.

Just some time to play and get dirty hands with diesel fuel......:p

Back