Forum Exclusive: TEST version 16.3.0

Drive

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=177241
True that Uwe, personally I'm open for changes. I believe it is time for some change to the GUI as well.

I don't know I just found it pretty difficult to code now, specially in the 09 module I found it convenient to have the list sorted in the old fashion :)

AMBSC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=233374
Well, is there any particular reason I should NOT download this version? :popcorn:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Yes, there's a public beta that's imminent.

It has the same caveat though: Once you update the firmware in your interface, you can't go back...

-Uwe-

AMBSC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=233374
Ok, then, I'll stand by the beta. Thanks.

golfi_vend

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=195131
I'll give it a try with HEX-NET. Don't want to update te HEX-CAN yet....

Reactions: Uwe

AMBSC

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=233374
"and to close a security vulnerability that an Hungarian university research team used to demonstrate a potential malware attack on cars"

:eek::eek:

vu2gte

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=262838
I have a hex-net bought in November 2015 will it make a positive difference in doing the upgrade? When I switched on my laptop yesterday I got an intimation for the update, having read this thread I thought of waiting. Have you included a warning in the update procedure of the net in case some users do not read the forum threads?

Last edited:

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
With a HEX-NET you can use either the Release or the Beta and go back and forth between the two as you wish.

-Uwe-

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
I believe that I've somehow bricked my micro-CAN cable with the firmware update.
I did the update posted below
20160331_070018.jpg

I left the cable connected to both my laptop and car (with the ignition on and engine running) for a period of 5 minutes. I didn't see a change in activity since the subsequent screen kept showing 0% complete and a button saying close down below. I eventually clicked "close" so as re-attempt the update process again (big mistake).

Re-attempting the process again only revealed the horror of no further communication between the cable and the car.
20160331_070406.jpg

I then tried the cable with my other computer with the older 15.7.xx VCDS installed just to see if my cable can interface with the car. The same error message was produced. This process even de-activated my copy of the application so I can't even see my serial number.
20160331_070932.jpg

I've restarted both PCs and even disconnected my car's battery for a few minutes (to see if there is anything in the CAN gateway that is causing an issue) but no success.
Is there a way to force the firmware update again, or do I have to wait until the official software is released (with hopefully a new firmware update)? I'm in Jamaica, so it's not a quick and easy process to ship my cable back to Ross-Tech, LLC
881 Sumneytown Pike
Lansdale PA 19446, USA

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
Thanks for the speedy response. I'm downloading the 16.3.1 to resolve the issue and let you know how it goes.
On average, how long should the firmware update process take?

Trade Member

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=271231
This new download with the IMPORTANT NOTE attached to it, what about either splitting the hard drive into two individual drives, like B and C, have VCDS on drive B and put the update on drive C, then the operator gets best of both worlds on his laptop or mobile device used!!

Just a thought, it saves both versions I thought.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
This new download with the IMPORTANT NOTE attached to it, what about either splitting the hard drive into two individual drives, like B and C, have VCDS on drive B and put the update on drive C, then the operator gets best of both worlds on his laptop or mobile device used!!

Just a thought, it saves both versions I thought.
Having multiple versions installed on your computer is not the issue here -- VCDS Beta versions have always installed to a different folder by default. The issue here is new firmware for HEX-CAN and Micro-CAN interfaces that's incompatible with previous versions of VCDS.

-Uwe-

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
Thanks for the speedy response. I'm downloading the 16.3.1 to resolve the issue and let you know how it goes.
On average, how long should the firmware update process take?
From start of the download to finish, something like 10 seconds.

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Just wondering if there is any progress on this Beta release?

I don't need MLB2 capability and I'm not sure that the security vulnerability that an Hungarian university research team used to demonstrate a potential malware attack on cars is an issue down here, so I've not loaded the SW (in my situation, it was a simple assessment of the down-side risk being greater than the up-side advantages)

But, as a self-confessed "early adopter", I'm keen to play with the other new features - is there any update about the stability of the SW?

Don

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
I don't see any significant downside at this point.

-Uwe-

NitrousOxide

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=269481
Thanks Andy,

I forgot to mention that the firmware update went through successfully.
Next time I'll simply install VCDS in the original (non-beta) folder so that I have all the logs and autoscans in one location instead of me having to manually having to copy them into the new folder. This is due to the fact that the 15.7.xx being of no use to me due to the irreversible firmware update for the micro-CAN interface.

Back