Freezing during autoscan on B8 S4's when faults in AWD module

GMP Performance

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21215
I've had an issue with VCDS 12.12.2 freezing during an autoscan (CAN Auto Detect) on B8 S4's only when there are fault codes in the AWD module. When flashing these with aftermarket ECU software you get ECU communication faults in many modules due to the ECU resetting during the flashing process. We clear them by running an autoscan then doing a clear all. I've noticed twice in the last two weeks it freezing at the AWD module on two different cars and also two different PC's. If I go to the AWD module itself and clear the codes the autoscan will then run fine through the whole car.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Hmm... That's gonna be "interesting" to get a handle on without a car that has that module, and a means of setting faults in that module.

You say Auto-Scan runs through it find as long as there aren't any faults there, right? Got a handy way of setting faults in that module w/o flashing the ECU?

-Uwe-

GMP Performance

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=21215
Hmm. I suppose I could pull the ECU fuse and turn the ignition on for a bit. I have a car here currently, and a stable power supply, so could run TeamViewer on the laptop and leave the car on so you could investigate.

Correct that it seems to only happen when there are faults in the AWD module. So far I've only seen it on B8 S4's. One is a 2014, I can't recall the other but I suspect 2012 or newer.

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
OK, try this please: Get a fault code into the module. Verify it's there (but obviously don't clear it).

Go to [Options] and set Debug Level to 1024, click [Apply].
Run an Auto-Scan. Assuming it hangs, ZIP up the contents of the Debug sub-folder and e-mail it to Support@...

-Uwe-

Back