Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HEX-NET data update question

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Side question.

If I have been using the HEXNET in AP mode, and then get back to where my wifi network is, should it not just log on to the wifi by pressing the red button to switch to infra mode? Didn't seem like it did despite pressing the button and the middle LED going to solid green?

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the IP number you enter in the browser? Are you connecting it Via AP mode to the computer or infrastructure?

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BaraJag View Post
    Side question.

If I have been using the HEXNET in AP mode, and then get back to where my wifi network is, should it not just log on to the wifi by pressing the red button to switch to infra mode? Didn't seem like it did despite pressing the button and the middle LED going to solid green?
    Yes, Pressing the red button will switch between AD-HOC/Infrastructure. Do you here a beep when you press the button?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    10.0.1.97 is the IP for it

Infra when I was using the laptop

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes there is a beep but I wasn't able to find it before I went into AP and manually set the profile for my wifi as active. I was using this app called "Fing" on my phone to see what devices were online and it wasn't showing up

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok, the issue with VCDS Beta 14 is due to the network configuration of the virtual machine. Your Windows VM is using the ip/gateway is 192.168.207.x, while OSX and the HEX-NET are on 10.0.1.x.

To fix this, you must configure your VM network to be on the same network as OSX and HEX-NET. I'm trying to locate instructions for VMware and will post once i find it.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like you need to setup a "Bridge" network.

http://pubs.vmware.com/fusion-4/inde...078947958.html

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santos View Post
    It looks like you need to setup a "Bridge" network.

http://pubs.vmware.com/fusion-4/inde...078947958.html
    Ok thanks! Will look into that later.

But one thing that does seem to be annoying is that I can't seem to get it to automatically log back in (and become available) on my wifi

Just used it wired (for ATF temp as I can't get that info on the 99 Eurovan any other way it seems) and then was going to use it in infra mode, and the middle led is solid green last one flashing green but scanning the IPs says it's unavailable

Also it does seem like switching from wireless to wired or vice versa without unplugging the unit from the car gives "No Response from controller" that's normal?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if this is any help to this thread, but I was able to update the firmware directly from my Linux desktop: Plug in the HEX-NET via USB, put it in infrastructure mode (the Java utility will run on anything, so no need for a Windoze VM) so it has internet access, then direct the browser to it and click the check for updates button. The only minor hiccups were that the jar wasn't executable by default after downloading and the first time I tried the update it never actually started, the second time it ran fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BaraJag View Post
    I think I've been able to figure everything out EXCEPT the VCDS Beta 14 finding it

So VCDS will automatically scan for it on various IPs then I presume or?
    No, VCDS does a broadcast on what Windows believes is your local network. In your case, that looks to be to be 192.168.207.x. However, your real network is 10.0.1.x. So although your computer knows how to route packets from the "vitural" network that Windows sees to your real network and back, it will not route a broadcast that's explicitly limited to 192.168.207.x anywhere else.

As Santos said, you're going to need to give your Windows VM access to your real network.

-Uwe-