Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HEX-NET data update question

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

HEX-NET data update question

So I was using the Hex-Net to try to access ATF temps and noticed that of course the 99 Eurovan doesn't support the ADV meas values.

Then I re-read the FAQs again and found this:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-mobile/faq_7.html

7.x Why won't VCDS-Mobile won't me show fault code text or measuring values?

On control modules that use the latest UDS/ODX protocol, it's not possible to interpret fault codes or show any meaningful measuring value data without a 'data dictionary' file specific to the control module in question. VCDS-Mobile will get download these from the Cloud server on an as-needed basis. Once it has downloaded the data for a specific module, that data will be cached (stored on-board) and will remain available even when VCDS-Mobile does not have a connection to the Cloud server. The best way to ensure that VCDS-Mobile has the data available for the control modules in your car(s) is to do a complete Auto-Scan on any car(s) that you will be using VCDS-Mobile on, then manually check for updates
    So I have been able to successfully use the HEX-NET in AP mode and infrastructure mode (or rather I was able to add and it seems connect to both my regular wifi and my mobile hotspot). I also used it as a traditional wired unit with Beta 14.2.0.

However here is my question, how can I do the manual updates, I know where it is in the menu, but if I am hooked up to the HEX-NET through VCDS mobile it is communicating over wifi with whatever device I am using it with, NOT with the internet, right? If I connect it to VCDS BETA 14 over the cable I am checking for software updates for the PC not the HEX-NET.

While playing around with it I did once get a "update available" notification and when I clicked to download it, it just stopped and couldn't complete it due to no internet connection.

One other thing I was not able to achieve is the " To use it wirelessly, make sure that your PC and the HEX-NET are both connected to the same WiFi network and then select the new "NET" port on the Options screen in VCDS." (6.8 How do I get the classic Windows-based VCDS program working with the HEX-NET?), I tried both with my WIFI and my mobile hotspot (thinking maybe my wifi wasn't strong enough but the cars).

I am sure I am missing something and I am sure I will be called stupid but hey if I don't ask I will remain stupid
    Last edited by BaraJag; 02-25-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    UDS controllers are a slightly different animal but for KW1281, KWP2000 or CAN modules, VCDS-Mobile will pull up the appropriate label file and will let you choose from the list of documented group numbers and fields, such as:

Engine Load [loc 37-1]
    Sensor Voltage,Bank 3/4 Sensor 2 [loc 37-2]
    Adjustment,Bank 3/4 Sensor 2 [loc 37-3]
    Result,Delta Lambda [loc 37-4]

That's group 037 fields 1 through 4.

If no label file is present at all, then all 255 possible groups each with 4 fields are shown without any description, like:

[loc 37-1]
    [loc 37-2]
    [loc 37-3]
    [loc 37-4]

Now, if a label file IS present but there is a group that is undocumented (group 002 for example) it won't show up on the list of items you can check. But on the Advanced Measuring Values screen you can just type in the search box 002 and click Submit (not Search) and VCDS-Mobile should display the data in:

[loc 002-1]
    [loc 002-2]
    [loc 002-3]
    [loc 002-4]

In the case of your transmission controller, I would expect to find fluid temperature in group 005 specifically in field 1.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    But on the Advanced Measuring Values screen you can just type in the search box 002 and click Submit (not Search) and VCDS-Mobile should display the data in:
    I went through just about all available options under AUTO trans under AMV and none of them gave any values, that's normal?

Also for the update I tried this:
    http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthre...Latest-Version

But I get "Update check timed out" please check your internet connection

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your 99 Eurovan is about 10 yeas too old to have any control modules that use the UDS/ODX protocol, so that's not the problem. However, even old-school modules need a label file (which, if it exists in VCDS, should also be included in VCDS-Mobile). Can you post an Auto-Scan please, so we can see what's going on?

As for updates: When the HEX-NET is in infrastructure mode and the network that it's on has internet access, then the HEX-NET can communicate with some device on that network (like your phone or tablet) and our server simultaneously. That means it can also get updates from the server.

The classic VCDS running on a PC cannot update the HEX-NET. The only way to update a HEX-NET is to have it pull updates directly from our server.

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Your 99 Eurovan is about 10 yeas too old to have any control modules that use the UDS/ODX protocol, so that's not the problem. However, even old-school modules need a label file (which, if it exists in VCDS, should also be included in VCDS-Mobile).
    Well it works just fine in "traditional" HEX-can, and with the HEX-net used as a wired interface, so just trying to see what I can learn.

Can you post an Auto-Scan please, so we can see what's going on?
    From VCDS mobile on that car?

As for updates: When the HEX-NET is in infrastructure mode and the network that it's on has internet access, then the HEX-NET can communicate with some device on that network (like your phone or tablet) and our server simultaneously.
    Ok that's the part I never got to work, you mean using the same 192.168.0.1 address right?

Now this would be still using the default network profile just clicking the red button to switch to infra mode? Or?

As soon as I activate one of the wifi profiles I added I can't access the unit anymore (yeah I am sure I am missing something here)

That means it can also get updates from the server.

The classic VCDS running on a PC cannot update the HEX-NET. The only way to update a HEX-NET is to have it pull updates directly from our server.

-Uwe-

Yeah I figured as much but I am still puzzled by how I can have the unit communicate both with your server AND be accessible over 192....

So when/why would I use the additional profiles for wireless. There's no other manual available yet to read aside from the FAQs correct?

THANKS!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BaraJag View Post
    From VCDS mobile on that car?
    Either or both. Any Auto-Scan would be a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by BaraJag View Post
    Ok that's the part I never got to work, you mean using the same 192.168.0.1 address right?
    No, when it's in infrastructure mode, you must specify the IP address that your router assigned to the HEX-NET. Have you watched the infrastructure video here?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's only I did it only in VCDS mobile yesterday and I don't know if I saved it, nor how to post it from VCDS mobile?

No, when it's in infrastructure mode, you must specify the IP address that your router assigned to the HEX-NET. Have you watched the infrastructure video here?
    Oh thanks yeah I did BEFORE the unit arrived will try this now!

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    E
    OK thanks, I had everything already done just didn't check my router which would've told me the IP address thanks for the help! It is "updating" and "preparing to update" now but 0% for the past min or so...we will see...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    VCDS Mobile 0.4009.0.4

Chassis Type:7D
    Scan:
    01 02 03 08 15 17 18 19 22 25 35 37 56

Address 01: Engine Labels:021-906-259-AES.lbl
    Part Number SW: 021-906-259-P
    Component: MOTRONIC M5.9 AT V03
    Coding: 00001
    Shop #: WSC 02744 000
    VCID: 2207798BADB9F0024EAD0

No fault codes found.

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels:01P-927-733.lbl
    Part Number SW: 01P-927-733-AH
    Component: AG4 Getriebe 01P 3964D
    Coding: 00000
    Shop #: WSC 00011 000
    VCID: 79B57EE760AF53DA3F47F

No fault codes found.

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels:8E0-614-111-EDS.lbl
    Part Number SW: 7D0-614-111-B
    Component: ABS/EDS 5.3 D0002
    Shop #: WSC 00000 000
    VCID: 1B79446F8AD3C1CA8DEB5

1 Fault Found:
    00290 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Rear Left (G46)
    35-10 - - - Intermittent

Address 08: Auto HVAC
    Part Number SW: 7D0-907-044
    Component: CLIMATRONIC V21
    Coding: 00001
    Shop #: WSC 00000 000
    VCID: E389BC8F7223390A851BD

5 Faults Found:
    00532 - Supply Voltage B+
    07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

00796 - Fan for Interior Temp Sensor (V42)
    35-00 - -

01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2)
    35-00 - -

00658 - Control Head
    35-10 - - - Intermittent

01086 - Speedometer Sensor (G22)
    35-10 - - - Intermittent

Address 15: Airbags Labels:1J0-909-60x-VW3.lbl
    Part Number SW: 1J0-909-603-AJ
    Component: AIRBAG VW3 - V04
    Coding: 16714
    Shop #: WSC 02743 000
    VCID: 71A546C738DF1B9A87977

No fault codes found.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Now, if a label file IS present but there is a group that is undocumented (group 002 for example) it won't show up on the list of items you can check. But on the Advanced Measuring Values screen you can just type in the search box 002 and click Submit (not Search) and VCDS-Mobile should display the data in:

[loc 002-1]
    [loc 002-2]
    [loc 002-3]
    [loc 002-4]

In the case of your transmission controller, I would expect to find fluid temperature in group 005 specifically in field 1.

OK well yeah I can "find" the labels but no value is next to them