Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake Tools

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by golfhappy View Post
    The reason i don't update to the latest version of software is getting the cable software linking to the car. Saying that i upgraded to the latest version for my mk3 leon and it communicated with the car no problem.....ahhhh....piece prevails throughout the land! or maybe i'm just thick!
    I know you can never say never, but usually the software is tested on quite a variety of vehicles by staff and enthusiasts alike, before it goes on release. Not just the car side either. Sometimes the installer gets a tweak and this is tested on the variety of machines we have.

2. Likes Eric, Bruce, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well it seems I overstated things re: current version is definitely legit, but it helps. I'm a bit out of date on that stuff as I don't shop for clones very often.

Jason

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jef
    Ross Tech Support Team, Alpha Squad
    Auto-Scan, learn it, love it, live it... then check the fuses.

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to learn how to recognize a vcds clone via Auto-Scan.
    Is this possible somehow for a non-Ross-Tech-Employee?
    Last edited by hadez16; 11-19-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think all we can do is go by s/w version number, though I have seen some 60 HEX V2 interfaces with 17.x software on eBay recently (ran a search to gauge what I could sell my old HEX-CAN for).
    A photo of interface is usually the only other way 'us' users can go by.

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, we will not release all information about how we know that a post is from a fake. To do so would be to help the fake producers.

The V2 mentioned is actually a HEX-CAN that has been mod'd to have the fancy lights of the V2. It also has been reported as really unreliable. Surprised there is not more push back about it out on the web. Sure, they copied the shell design and the lights but none of those are identical to our V2 parts either.

I agree, a photo is the best means for others to know it's a fake. Price is always a tip off. Locked to a version of VCDS and you can rest assured it is a fake.

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Sorry, we will not release all information about how we know that a post is from a fake. To do so would be to help the fake producers.
    Yes, ok, I understand that completely...but thanks for your answer.

12. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sure and thank you for your willingness to help us fight the battle! It consumes a lot of time and effort. There is no good way to end it. The fake producers hide very effectively and law in China would make it difficult to bring a case against one should they be found. Our best means of fighting is constant vigilance on the web to shut down sales. That is a never ending job! We play the game whack-a-cloner everyday (think Whack-a-mole where you beat the mole into a hole and then it pops up in another hole.. )

14. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Our best means of fighting is constant vigilance on the web to shut down sales. That is a never ending job! We play the game whack-a-cloner everyday (think Whack-a-mole where you beat the mole into a hole and then it pops up in another hole.. )
    Improved counter-measures in the software are a never-ending job as well.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

16. Likes Eric liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ I entirely concur- IP theft is a despicable practice and those that knowingly participate in these trades (especially buyers) have hypocritical ethics. But in an odd and perverse way, the reprehensible practice is also a kind-of homage to the quality of your products and their industry standing. Yes, little solace - I agree!!

Don
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

18. Likes Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post