Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade-in upgrade Hex-CAN to Hex-Net

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Trade-in upgrade Hex-CAN to Hex-Net

Hello everybody,

I got my Hex-CAN USB about 10 years ago and used it successfully on several Audi and VW. I never regretted buying the Ross-Tech cable in the first place and think that about $35 a year was less than I would have spend buying cheap clones of eBay that only last a few weeks.

I now have the A4 B9 on order with a scheduled April/May delivery date. Since Hex-CAN doesn't support the new B9 I would be interested in trading it in for the unlimited Hex-Net if the trade-in amount is about the amount I could get when selling my old Hex-CAN privately. I guess I could buy the unlimited Hex-Net for $500 now and sell my Hex-CAN for $150-$200 which makes the Hex-Net end up costing about $300-$350.

Do you expect a trade-in upgrade from Hex-CAN USB to Hex-Net to become available within the next few months? If so, do you think that $300-$350 for the unlimited Hex-Net upgrade is reasonable and realistic?

Thanks,
    Dirk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkM View Post
    Do you expect a trade-in upgrade from Hex-CAN USB to Hex-Net to become available within the next few months?
    Yes.

But I'm also still hopeful that we will be able to to make the HEX+CAN interface compatible with the B9 via a firmware upgrade. Trouble is, there are very few bytes of space left in there...

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

3. Likes Zenerdiode, smokey08, bjornb, Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Uwe, that's good news. I will wait a few more months before deciding what route to go.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Uwe, any update on the HEX-CAN to HEX-NET upgrade? Considering selling my HEX-CAN to upgrade to the HEX-NET. Is this program now available or should I just wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Yes.

But I'm also still hopeful that we will be able to to make the HEX+CAN interface compatible with the B9 via a firmware upgrade. Trouble is, there are very few bytes of space left in there...

-Uwe-

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jocamero View Post
    Is this program now available or should I just wait?
    see here
    http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/RetCAN.html

7. Likes Uwe, D-Dub liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Yes.

-Uwe-
    I am also wondering about this, I am considering buying the B9 A4 allroad when it arrives here (I own Hex-Can USB today).

9. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornb View Post
    I am also wondering about this, I am considering buying the B9 A4 allroad when it arrives here (I own Hex-Can USB today).
    And you've had that interface for a bit more than 10 years now.

If I tell you "You should upgrade to a HEX-NET" now, and we do end up successfully fixing this, you'll be annoyed that you spent money unnecessarily. So I suggest waiting at least until you get the car to see where we are then.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

11. Likes jyoung8607, Jetta ,97 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I guess waiting would be the sensible thing to do, I'll do that.

I looked up my Ross-tech orders, Hex-Can in march 2006, Twin-Com in 2002, and ISO-Com in 2001..

13. Likes jyoung8607, Uwe, golfi_vend liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just as an update from my side, I bought the new HEX-NET and sold my old HEX-CAN 2nd hand. I did this mostly because the HEX-CAN was a reliable tool over the last 10 years and I'm sure the HEX-NET will be the same, so this was the good way to support Ross-Tech and allow them to keep working on new versions of VCDS. I hope that over the next few months the missing label files and undocumented channels will get less which will allow VCDS to remain the prime tool for VAG cars.

Right now it's a little frustrating because things that work in Germany don't exists in the US version of the A4 B9 and getting someone over there with a HEX-NET to compare settings is very limited. I so want to go on a vacation there, take my HEX-NET with me and do a test drive of a fully loaded B9 just to do a full scan and compare it with mine...

15. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to sell my hex-net. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you