Auto Hold function on MQB platform

andyvee

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159389
Hi experts at Ross-Tech

The Golf VII is available with auto hold, the one where when you come to a stop it maintains brake pressure via the ABS unit after you release the footbrake, until you accelerate again. (Not HHC).

As I understand it, if you have ACC this means it will hold you indefinitely on with ACC in traffic.

So is it possible to enable this on other MQB platform (Octavia 3 etc.)?

I would assume you need the correct ABS module and there would be some wiring to do for the switch as well?

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
Anyone know? If the golf uses the ABS module and not the EBP for this feature then we should be able to enable it (as long as the module supports this feature)

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Anyone know? If the golf uses the ABS module and not the EBP for this feature then we should be able to enable it (as long as the module supports this feature)

Xpower: Good morning - first I'm not an expert, just a sub-100 IQ bloke with a dangerously minor understanding of Mr Ross's cables - but that's a very interesting project, I hope that you are successful. As to your question, isn't ACC fitted to MQB vehicles in USA many (most?) of which don't have EPB?

According to SSP #374-Traction Control and Assist Systems:
"Brake intervention [for ACC] is implemented via the hydraulic unit with return flow pump. In the hydraulic unit, the switch valve is closed and the high-pressure valve is opened. The return flow pump is actuated and begins pumping. As a result of this, the pressure at the wheel brake is built up."
And according to SSP #516 - The Golf 2013 Driver Assist Systems:
" [for ACC] Vehicles with a manual gearbox are automatically accelerated or decelerated to the preferred speed. The system is automatically deactivated at speeds below 20 km/h and the driver is prompted to take charge by visual and acoustic signals."
and
"Vehicles with a dual clutch gearbox (DSG) can be decelerated down to a standstill, depending on the situation, and started automatically."

Don

Edit: I've just had a quick look at the WD for J428 (the ACC control module fitted to the front bumper). There doesn't appear to be any physical wiring to the ABS - which suggests (I'm guessing) that communications between the two modules happens over the CAN Gateway-I think! The point being that you will need to make sure that the ABS module on the Ocky-3 is capable of understanding the ACC's language and also that it is capable of providing the necessary "hand-shaking" messages. Someone else here who is more knowledgeable might make a comment

Edit2: Yep, I believe that my hunch above was correct! Here's a picture of the PIN_OUT for J428. Notice the absence of any reference to connections vaguely resembling ABS -all dialogue must happen on the CAN bus as digital nomenclature (not analogue)! Also, my understanding is that the front camera connections are not connected in many instances

nl2csWI.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Mrclopec

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=149231
Look in your trunk for your PR sticker. Youre looking for PR code 1AT. If you see 1AS, then you cant do it. I would assume that if you have ACC, then your ABS is 1AT. It would just be a matter of retrofitting the switch, 2 wires from the switch to the ABS unit in the engine compartment, and some coding.

Gizmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49193
Andy on the Superb 3 there are also an extra couple of (brake??) lines going to each calliper, I assume this has something to do with the Auto Hold?
Does the Octavia have them?

I didn’t look too deep into them as it was cold and getting dark when I fitted the winter wheels!

FWIW:

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 5Q0-907-379-IPB-V1.clb
Part No SW: 3Q0 907 379 AB HW: 3Q0 907 379 G
Component: ESC H42 0723
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: 62725000002243
Coding: 1D07929C34220B750780060141CB49B8492CD0E0608292F53861F0F8C2A9
Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00063
ASAM Dataset: EV_Brake1UDSContiMK100IPB 034036
ROD: EV_Brake1UDSContiMK100IPB_SK37.rod
VCID: 7AF0471FFD8940EE3F-802E

No fault code found.

rojas

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261996
2 wires from the switch to the ABS unit in the engine compartment, and some coding.

2 wires? where ? ...

I think you just have to be equipped swich ACC ( 5Q0953513 AG ), check the ABS control unit to see if it is compatible ( IPB = ok , ESP = not correct para ACC ) , x2 rear abs sensor : (WHT003864A) , but you need code activation swaap

think it is , true ?

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
I'll check my sticker. I do have ACC & DSG and it does bring the vehicle to a complete standstill but will only hold it for a few seconds. I would like it to hold it indefinitely until the traffic begins moving.
It's a pain to have to keep your foot on the brake pedal (and annoy the person behind you with the brake lights).
I drove a 2015 passat not long ago without ACC and it worked exactly like this. You brought the vehicle to a stop, and it held it there for you allowing you to take your foot of the brakes - all in D.
When your ready, tap the accelerator and the brakes release, clutch engages and your off.

Also I am looking for the security codes login codes for NEW MY16.5 instruments (it's not 20103), and access codes for the ABS (that actually allow you to make changes to the auto hold section)
So far no luck :-(

Gizmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49193
It's a pain to have to keep your foot on the brake pedal (and annoy the person behind you with the brake lights).

On the Superb at least the brake lights are always lit whilst auto hold is doing its stuff, ideally I would like to code this so they go out after a couple of seconds rather than having to put the (electric) handbrake on just to turn the brake lights off.

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
It would seem that this should be quite simple, there are 2 channels in the ABS module. 1 I can change the other a security code is required. Both are set to not active by default. The first one below is to set when it is on, options are never, always, and basically what ever the switch says (which the Octavia doesn't have) and may not need if it's set to always active like I have done below.

All I need now is the security code, I have tried all the ones available and most are accepted, unfortunately non of them will allow this change to be made. Help :-(

Gizmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49193
What codes have you tried?

I have tried the following which were all accepted under 03, but without success to change the ‘drivers door status’:

These were all rejected:

31347 was also tried but can’t remember if it was accepted or not but was no good for the adaptation I needed.

Last edited:

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
I tried these, none of them allowed me to change the auto hold functionality channel

20103 - x
40168 - x
10505 - x
11966 - x
15081 - x
18573 - x
24435 - x
25004 - x
28183 - x
31857 - x
37202 - x
40168 - x
44595 - x

andyvee

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=159389
I've started something here haven't I :)

Gizmo - was that the full list of ABS codes I gave you?

I noticed there were some coding options elsewhere to let the car know Auto Hold was installed - I'll have a look later this week

Gizmo

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=49193
I've started something here haven't I :)

Gizmo - was that the full list of ABS codes I gave you?

I noticed there were some coding options elsewhere to let the car know Auto Hold was installed - I'll have a look later this week

Yes I had a few saved, but unfortunately non let me change what I wanted :banghead:

ineedbeer

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=236468
I have posted threads in the past, looking for this same ABS code.
I have tried all the same ones as you on a 2016 A3 8V. None of the codes work.
However codes were obtained in the past, it doesn't seem that anyone has gotten any for this particular ABS adaptation channel.

Hey Uwe, how do we get our hands on this code?!?!

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
Ok, I have been looking at a friends MY2016 Golf GTD manual with ACC with auto hold, his auto hold function channel is also set to "inactive" so it looks like we are barking up the wrong tree.
I have been comparing our ABS coding but there are 24 bits on his module turned on which my 2016 octavia DSG with ACC doesn't have turned on.
hmmmmm.......

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
Look in your trunk for your PR sticker. Youre looking for PR code 1AT. If you see 1AS, then you cant do it. I would assume that if you have ACC, then your ABS is 1AT. It would just be a matter of retrofitting the switch, 2 wires from the switch to the ABS unit in the engine compartment, and some coding.

It looks like my code is 1AZ....

rojas

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261996
prueba 40168

rojas

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=261996

my car is 1AT and is not compatible with AAC, I had to change :

control unit ABS , ESP / ABS sensors, switch to ACC.

Xpower

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=163029
Ok, I have tried re-coding every bit that the golf has on that the Octavia doesn't and with the exception of byte 25 they are all "rejected out of range".
Byte 25 will recode but has no affect.
I then tried to copy the HEX for every byte in turn but that was also "31-coding out of range" with the exception of byte 25.

I'm open to ideas????? Is there a security access code for re-coding?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
Ok,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I'm open to ideas????? Is there a security access code for re-coding?

Xpower: I do admire your tenacity and dedication to solving this problem. I'm not sure that using the coding from your friend's GTD is a good way to proceed - if you wanted to use this approach, then I suspect that you will need a much greater number of reference vehicles (to eliminate differences in coding that result from of other features in the car)

Anyway, here is some information from my database. The car is a mk7 GTI PP DSG (from Ireland) with J428 fitted (including in this case also with R242 fitted) - details of the ABS enclosed. Notice that notwithstanding that this car also has ACC (like your friends GTD), there are significant differences (and some similarities) in the two coding strings

Not sure that my data will help in your crusade, but it might be of interest!

Cheers
Don

seXJdKU.png

Last edited:
Back