Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Replacement

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like

Battery Replacement

Can move to How to and tips!

Thought I'd do a quick write-up on replacing the battery in a S5 4.2 since I wasn't able to find all the correct info in one place.

1) Buy a replacement battery. Surprisingly, for me here in Canada, the dealer was cheaper than aftermarket. I paid $240 for an OEM (Varta) replacement. Part # 8K0915105F.

2) Replace Battery - this is pretty self evident and takes 10-15 minutes. The only setting I lost was the clock. Favorite radio stations, one touch windows etc., were all saved.

3) Code new battery with VCDS:
    - Go to CAN Gateway 19, then Long Adaption, then Channel 4, Battery Identification.

- There are three strings of numbers in the following order (Part#, Battery Vendor, Serial #). For example:

8K0915105F VA0 080388159X

- I replaced the last 10 digits with the updated serial # on my new battery.

A few observations:
    - Interestingly, the battery reading in the MMI was about 30% before and after I replaced the battery. It wasn't until I reset the battery serial # with the VCDS that it went up to 100%.

- My thoughts are that the battery reading in the MMI was never meant to give a reading based on current state voltage (…like a voltmeter would). But rather it is meant to give an indicator of overall battery life span given the monitoring of various readings over a long period of time.

- Resting voltage for my original battery was 12.1V. The new battery is 12.6V.

- Its pretty crappy given newer battery technology like AGM or VRLA (check these out if you aren't aware of them...), that we have to pay twice as much for an inferior replacement battery given the unique shape. I guess thats PAR for the course with these cars.

Cheers
    DISCLAIMER: All of the foregoing is based on a quick google search, so it may be totally incorrect. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge can offer more reliable info

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Moving to How To's and Tips and adding this video for good measure:

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I did a little investigation and found that the local import declared value here is about 90usd. https://www.zauba.com/import-8K09151...7-hs-code.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I've always viewed the battery meter as a 'starting confidence' meter or ageing meter like you mention. I wonder if that is why it was disabled?

Also, if you put the car in Transport Mode; when you either switch the ignition on (or off - I can't remember) you see TRAxx in the dash - and xx represents the % you'd see in the battery meter.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just for good measure I did a how to on the MK7 Golf when VCDS could first code the lines better & started a thread on this site (Ross-Tech).

I did a big full how to on my "home site" here:-

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

Same principals applies...

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great info and link to video above!

I'm having trouble coding my new battery (AutoCraft Platinum AGM). I did not see a standard BEM code sticker but did see a QR looking code and several numbers and a sticker that said "Made in Germany" on it. I also read in another forum that people have used non-OEM batteries without issue.

See pictures here: https://plus.google.com/107328482148...ts/hwXxphfGARF

18 032 2 1
    16 43 2 0409 N
    I assumed that is the battery part # and serial number?? The battery manufacturer is JCI.

I am also getting an error stating that the new value is invalid (I tried multiple variations of spaces/no spaces, etc.).

I'm confused as to why one popup states the new value needs to be 26 digits but another popup would indicate 24. 11+3+10=24

Also, why would it put the old battery info in the "Test" field instead of giving me an error message sometimes?

If this battery doesn't have the standard BEM code sticker am I able to code a comparable battery with same/similar specs?
    It is an AGM
    Cold Cranking Amperage: 900
    Cranking Amps: 1000 A
    Reserve Capacity: 160
    Any other specs that I would need to find a comparable battery with proper BEM code?

Thanks,
    Ross
    2010 S5

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RJG View Post
    I'm having trouble coding my new battery (AutoCraft Platinum AGM). I did not see a standard BEM code sticker
    Nor would I expect a VAG-specific BEM code sticker on an generic, aftermarket battery. Note, I'm not implying there's anything wrong with using that battery, juts that you're going to have to "fake" the BEM coding.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG View Post
    I am also getting an error stating that the new value is invalid (I tried multiple variations of spaces/no spaces, etc.).

I'm confused as to why one popup states the new value needs to be 26 digits but another popup would indicate 24. 11+3+10=24

Also, why would it put the old battery info in the "Test" field instead of giving me an error message sometimes?

If this battery doesn't have the standard BEM code sticker am I able to code a comparable battery with same/similar specs?
    It is an AGM
    Cold Cranking Amperage: 900
    Cranking Amps: 1000 A
    Reserve Capacity: 160
    Any other specs that I would need to find a comparable battery with proper BEM code?

Thanks,
    Ross
    2010 S5
    Please post an Auto-Scan from your car so people can see what's what in it.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VAG-Dave View Post
    Just for good measure I did a how to on the MK7 Golf when VCDS could first code the lines better & started a thread on this site (Ross-Tech).

I did a big full how to on my "home site" here:-

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926

Same principals applies...
    First - my apology to RJG for hijacking this thread

Dave: The matter of the battery information stored in these control modules in general, and the actual battery specific data used by the CAN Gateway in particular has captured my imagination - and to be frank (at least according to my wife-whose opinion I never doubt these days) has become something of an obsession!

RT's video, and other web resources like your post have been an excellent learning tool - but I'm still at a loss to understand (in fundamental terms) the basic difference between a BEM battery and a non-BEM battery. In essence I would like to understand - what I get extra when I buy a BEM battery? And more importantly for my current obsession - how does the CAN Gateway use the extra features in a BEM battery? If I have the answers to these questions, I can make a guess at the level of compromise that occurs when a non-BEM battery is installed in vehicles with the Battery monitor modules (and "fake" settings are entered into the adaptation channels that are identified in RT's video).

And in regards to those specific adaptation channels in RT's excellent video (featuring the now-famous Ross-Tech guy), I've been exploring the absence of any mention of battery related Byte/Bits in the code-string for the CAN Gateway. I'm trying to piece together all the available information that I have to hand at the moment - so it's just a task of aligning the data from the long coding helper screens with the "long coding" screens from another device that I use. Once I have amassed the long coding descriptors, it's simply then a task of changing entries on the test bench and checking which Byte/Bit changes in the code-string. A very easy, but somewhat boring procedure!

To this end, I have now produced a more fulsome set of "long-coding" headings and Byte/Bit locations for the hex19 module in my test-bench, which has the following CAN Gateway:

Code:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533)       Labels: 5Q0-907-530-V1.clb
       Part No SW: 5Q0 907 530 E    HW: 5Q0 907 530 E
       Component: GW MQB Mid    121 1109  
       Revision: --------    Serial number: 0000073193
       Coding: 000000342B086400EF0006481C0F00000001000000000000000000000000
       Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
       ASAM Dataset: EV_GatewLear 006010
       ROD: EV_GatewLear.rod
       VCID: 3326DAA49A74C0DA6D-8066
    In respect of my "Herculean" quest to understand the mysterious role that BEM data plays in the operation of the CAN Gateway, here's an example of my findings (apology to Uwe for not using a VCDS screen shot, but the "other" device was a more suitable platform to display the data):

This is still a work-in-progrss, but what's becoming evident is that the code-string in the hex19 module (at least for the UDS protocol module on my test bench) appears to also have specific battery related entries. I have no idea what the numbers in these entries mean, but it's clearly a facility that distinguishes between manufacturers and types of batteries (i.e. Architecture). So, as with everything in this short life - the more I discover, the more I find that I don't know! For example, what happens if the adaptation channel entry in the CAN gateway related to battery type is changed, but the Btye/Bit entry in the code (for battery architecture) is incompatible with the new setting?

Anyhow, my purpose for posting is to ask for any insights that folk might have on these matters - please (this is all new stuff to me and I'm floundering in the dark at the moment)

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 03-27-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    In essence I would like to understand - what I get extra when I buy a BEM battery?
    A BEM code, that in principle at least, should be acceptable to the car's software. I don't think there's any functional/physical difference between a BEM battery and non-BEM battery. At least not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    In respect of my "Herculean" quest to understand the mysterious role that BEM data plays in the operation of the CAN Gateway, here's an example of my findings (apology to Uwe for not using a VCDS screen shot, but the "other" device was a more suitable platform to display the data):
    Huh? Most of that stuff is documented in our Long Coding Helper for that module.

-Uwe-

11. Likes DV52 liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post

Huh? Most of that stuff is documented in our Long Coding Helper for that module.

-Uwe-
    Uwe: Ooops - I most certainly didn't intend to imply that somehow the VCDS long coding helper screens were deficient. As I said in my post - it's simply a matter of getting as much data from where ever I can to fill-in the vast void in my understanding (it's my ignorance that's at fault - not your long coding helper screens). Here's what I have on the CAN gateway from VCDS related to the 3 x Bytes in my other screen-shot. Hopefully you can see that there is synergy by using the data from both devices. Note there are some inconsistency in descriptors between my first post screens and VCDS - but work-in-process

Don

Last edited by DV52; 03-27-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    VW Golf MkVII (103TSI) my13