Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hex-Net - New User, iOS only - unable to connect with hotspot

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    iPhone 5s, with the latest iOS 9.

True, I suggest a completely different product, with a different model: computation on the phone/tablet vs. web server on the Hex-Net.
    I think that would be similar to your other products though, the ones that connect to a PC via USB. Replace the USB with BLE. But then of course you need mobile Apps, one for iOS and one for Android.

For example, we have an F250, with the infamous 6.0 diesel, which requires monitoring. I think the best monitoring systems combine a simple HW to collect data, and send the data to a smart phone/tablet. That way you can easily deploy new features, and you don't have to make the HW too complex. Check out the "DashBoss".

Another example is the "BlueDriver". Great product, but of course it does not have the features and capabilities of the Ross-Tech products. Now if you could combine the 2, you'll have the perfect product.

About the sporadic WiFi beacons: Apple probably does this to save power. Sending Bluetooth beacons is very low power. Apple products know to scan the Bluetooth constantly, and if they see a Hotspot beacon, then they actively look for the WiFi beacon. But you're right, the end effect is that it's much easier to connect an Apple product to another Apple product, than to connect a non-Apple one.

I can understand your frustration: as a manufacturer, you find it unfair; Apple has an unfair advantage because they have a preferential ecosystem. Many years ago I experienced it too, while developing an Airplay product. Very frustrating. But then I went and worked for Apple, and they convinced me otherwise ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, thank for your suggestions, but making products specifically for Apple's walled garden, or maintaining separate applications for iOS, Android, and whatever the next hot platform might be is not something we've got much interest in doing.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an iPhone 6S plus (iOS 9.2.1) that I have used several times as a hotspot to connect HEX-NET's in Infrastructure mode and have not experienced dropouts or connection issues. I'm on AT&T if that matters.

I noticed that if I leave the Hotspot part of the Settings screen of the phone, it doesn't look like it is discoverable but that may be because the phone switches to use wifi from a router rather than the LTE signal from the phone.
    Last edited by Andy; 03-08-2016 at 01:50 PM.

4. Likes Uwe, Shaun liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wished (and still wish) for bluetooth support, simply for the *already existing* app ecosystem which exists for the cheap bluetooth obd2 dongles.

In other words, I would like to be able to use hex-net (or similar product) that incorporates existing obd2 bluetooth protocols for 3rd party apps, while still providing specialized vcds (mobile and/or windows app) control.

For example;

I have been using android app "TORQUE" with a cheapo elm bluetooth obd2 dongle (scantool/elm327/etc) for years;

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...l.torque&hl=en

Now I have hexnet and its wonder functionality, however with no bluetooth... no torque monitoring of vehicle.

Of course I can, and have switch back to cheapo bluetooth dongle, however for $$$$$ of hexnet sits wasted until needed for the more advanced functionality it provides.

Hope this helps make sense of why myself and others request bluetooth support... to have 1 single obd2 adapater that can work with both VCDS and 3rd party apps on IOS and android via BT.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    iPhone 5s, latest iOS 9.

True. I suggest a product very different from the Hex-Net, although quite similar to your other products. I suggest a simple HW device that interface with the car and collect data. Then all the processing and control would be done on the phone/tablet.
    That's similar to your "wired" products, which use a PC. Replace the USB cable with a wireless BLE. Of course you would also need iOS and Android apps. That's a lot of work.

The advantages? Much simpler/cheaper HW, faster development cycles, easy upgrades, etc..

For example, take a look at the "BlueDriver". Great product, but of course it does not have the powerful features of the Ross-Tech products. They have a great HW, you have a great SW. Combine the 2 and you win.
    Another example: we have an F250 with the infamous 6.0L diesel engine. Check out the "DashBoss" monitoring system. I think that's the best platform: minimal HW, all the heavy work is done in SW on the phone/tablet.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is getting a little off-topic but you know you can display gauges with VCDS-Mobile and the HEX-NET, right?

You can configure different numbers, sizes, and positions of gauges and you're not limited to items viewable in Generic OBD-2 since you can also display native VAG items. For instance, some newer cars don't report boost via Generic OBD-2.

8. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, I wonder if I could re-purpose my old 3GS just for the gauges?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by romad View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder if I could re-purpose my old 3GS just for the gauges?
    Can't see why not. After all, who doesn't have an old phone or three around?
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad it works for you Andy. I wish I had the same luck.

For me, if I have my phone in hand, and I plug the Hex-Net in the car, it rarely connects to the phone hotspot. It might take 10 or 20 attempts (unplug, replug). Or more.

But if I have my laptop with me in the car, and I connect my laptop to my phone hotspot, then the Hex-Net connects and stays connected.

So obviously it's not a problem with my phone, because my laptop can connect to my phone within seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you connect your laptop and the HEX-NET to the phone's hotspot and then, while keeping the phone on the hotspot screen in settings, use the browser on the laptop to use VCDS-Mobile? Are you able to consistently connect in AP mode using either the laptop or the phone? When you are having trouble connecting the HN what are the LEDs doing?