Not open for further replies.

handimanmark

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-004546
Greetings All,

Good evening, I hope this finds all well and in good spirit.

Sorry to say that I cannot create a cloud account after having connected the HEX-NET to the internet via infastructure mode. When I select the control module "Drivetrain" and then "Engine", VCDS takes me to the Cloud login page with no option to register. I don't think that we already have a username and password since this is the first time using VCDS Mobile and we've not registered before.

Could someone please help us to get registered so that we can start the lift pump and prime our fuel filter please?

We are using the VCDS app on Android 5.0 and configured the infastructure mode with Linux Mint 17.2. and the java applet. The problem occurs on both and we use Firefox for our web browser.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

May y'all have a peaceful New Year,
Sincerely,
handimanmark

Uwe

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC100001
Based on other reports, there may be a problem with the server....

-Uwe-

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
This problem is generally specific to the controller you are talking to when you try to do this. Please try it again using a different controller like 03 or 56 and let us know how it goes. Also please post an autoscan so we can see the details for that engine.

handimanmark

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-004546
Hi Shaun

Happy New Year and thank you for the reply.

This morning I brought the HEX-NET inside the house to work on. I tried using the java applet and this Linux Mint laptop to reconfigure the wifi and run the updated. The HEX-NET will connect to the wifi route (Linksys) but will not connect to the server when updates are run. Also tried creating a wifi hotspot with an Android 5.0 phone with the same results. I also attempted updates through the browser connecting through the IP address using the Linux Mint laptop. The server connection times out and stops the routine.

I then did a factory reset with the red button on the HEX-NET and started over using the java applet. After connecting the wifi again (infastructure mode) and attempting updates in java, I then connected via the IP address through FireFox. During the Login a critical error message appeared telling me to contact Ross-Tech. I have not attempted any thing further.

I did manually prime the fuel filter, so that matter is resolved.

Please let me know if I should mail the unit back for y'all to have a look at.

May peace be upon you in this New Year,
handimanmark

handimanmark

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-004546
Hi Shaun,

After posting the previous reply, I also remembered that while trying to update using the java applet, I did recieve error code -2.

I hope this help in resolving the issue.

Sincerely,
handimanmark

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi handimanmark,
As per the thread here, there was a networking issue at one point over the holiday break, right around the time when you were trying to do this. It should be resolved now, so you probably just need to try again and it should prompt you to make a cloud account.

During the Login a critical error message appeared telling me to contact Ross-Tech.
Does it still say this on the main VCDS-Mobile screen?
This will often show up if you do a Factory Reset but you haven't rebooted the HEX-NET yet.
If it still shows an error, this can generally be solved by holding the button to reset to defaults, wait a couple seconds after it stops beeping to make sure it is done, and then reboot the HEX-NET.

Also on Linux Mint you should make sure that you are running the config utility as root, i.e.
Code:
sudo java -jar HexNetConfig.jar

It can have problems with USB otherwise, depending on how your USB is configured.

Using firefox on linux mint should work fine, I would think. I've tested it with Ubuntu.

--Shaun

Reactions: Uwe

handimanmark

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-004546
Time will tell.

Hi handimanmark,
As per the thread here, there was a networking issue at one point over the holiday break, right around the time when you were trying to do this. It should be resolved now, so you probably just need to try again and it should prompt you to make a cloud account.

Does it still say this on the main VCDS-Mobile screen?
This will often show up if you do a Factory Reset but you haven't rebooted the HEX-NET yet.
If it still shows an error, this can generally be solved by holding the button to reset to defaults, wait a couple seconds after it stops beeping to make sure it is done, and then reboot the HEX-NET.

Also on Linux Mint you should make sure that you are running the config utility as root, i.e.
Code:
sudo java -jar HexNetConfig.jar

It can have problems with USB otherwise, depending on how your USB is configured.

Using firefox on linux mint should work fine, I would think. I've tested it with Ubuntu.

--Shaun

Hi Shaun,

Good day and thank you for the reply and great suggestions. My wife and I will be out of pocket for the rest of the week, but I'll do as you suggested Sunday and post the results.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Kind regards,
Mark

handimanmark

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-004546
Hi Shaun,

Good day, hoping this finds you well and in good spirit.

I did finally find some time to work on the HEX-NET problem. I was able to Register the HEX-NET to the Cloud and update through the java application; at least to a point. The data set would not update for some reason. The following are the HEX-NET specifications now.

VCDS-Mobile
Codebase: Feb 26 2016 - 14:14:53

Registered to:

Catherine Dreyer
Gouldbusk
TX

CodeBlock V0.4305
FW version: 0.238
Dataset: 00000035

LSN: 000100-0011C2-FD52F4-330000-168403-FC3859-8C
VSN: 0010D1-00EE04-010000-003500-1B000A-0100FF-FF0000-8935

VINs: 1/10
Faultcodes Cleared: 0

Copyright (C) 2014 Ross-Tech, LLC
Author: Shaun McElhinney

The main screen of VCSD still has the "SD Critical Error" message telling me to contact Ross Tech. Since I had already done a factory reset, I didn't do it again. Could you please tell me how to reboot the HEX-NET and I'll see if that makes a difference, thank you.

As always, your help is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mark

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Start with the HEX-NET completely unplugged. Plug it in with the USB, DLC or both. Give it a couple of seconds to boot. Now, hold the button for 50s, then release. You should hear a long beep and the leds on the hex-net should indicate that it is busy. Give it 20 seconds to insure it is finished doing the reset. Now unplug the hex-net completely, then replug and allow it to boot. If you did it right, you should now need to reconfigure your wifi profiles. If it still has your old wifi profiles in there when you go to "Advanced profile config" then something didn't work. If it did work, check if the main VCDS-Mobile screen still shows that error. Either way, report back what you find.

handimanmark

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HN1-004546
Hi Shaun,

Good day again, I hope this day finds you well and in good spirit also.

Start with the HEX-NET completely unplugged. Plug it in with the USB, DLC or both. Give it a couple of seconds to boot. Now, hold the button for 50s, then release. You should hear a long beep and the leds on the hex-net should indicate that it is busy. Give it 20 seconds to insure it is finished doing the reset. Now unplug the hex-net completely, then replug and allow it to boot. If you did it right, you should now need to reconfigure your wifi profiles. If it still has your old wifi profiles in there when you go to "Advanced profile config" then something didn't work. If it did work, check if the main VCDS-Mobile screen still shows that error. Either way, report back what you find.

I did as you suggested, thank you, it did resolve the error message on the main screen of VCSD in Firefox. However the java app does not want to update the data set (DS) file here. When opening the app I'm using "sudo" for root privilege. I've been getting error codes "-2" and "-8". The java app says HEXNET is running FW version 0.223.

VCDS-Mobile
Codebase: Feb 26 2016 - 14:14:53

Registered to:

Catherine Dreyer
Gouldbusk
TX

CodeBlock V0.4305
FW version: 0.238
Dataset: 00000035

LSN: 000100-0011C2-FD52F4-330000-168403-FC3859-8C
VSN: 0010D1-00EE04-010000-003500-1B000A-0100FF-FF0000-8935

VINs: 1/10
Faultcodes Cleared: 0

Copyright (C) 2014 Ross-Tech, LLC
Author: Shaun McElhinney

Your help is very much appreciated, thank you.

Kind regards,
Mark

Shaun

Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
A screenshot of where the utility is reporting the error might help with this. Have you tried downloading the update through the web interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back