Coding and Understanding Single-Sided Parking Lights for 5Q NAR (Canada) Golf R MY16

dmc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=8335
I have a NAR (Canada) Golf R MY16. I've been working to get ROW functionality with turn-signal activated, single-sided parking lights (SSPL).

While trying to figure this out, I encountered a few hurdles that encouraged me to explore the BCM adaptations a little further. It turns out you can tweak the parking lights such that they go off automatically on a timer, or before they completely drain your battery.

Here's a complete list of all of my changes:

Vehicle: NAR (Canada) Golf R MY2016
SW:5Q0-937-085-AJ HW:5Q0-937-085-AF --- Cent. Elect.
Component:BCM MQBAB HNA H24 0175 Coding:00010A46C041A2E149E44000091C07201800000000000000000000000000

Adaptation ChannelFactory SettingNew SettingNotes
(4)-Driving light and parking light-Parklicht ueber LSS aktiviertnot activeone-sidedEnable SSPL function using the turn signal.
(5)-Driving light and parking light-Standlichtreduzierung mit beidseitigem Parklichtnot activeactiveReduce standing lights with double parking lights. Active in ROW.
(9)-Leuchte2SL VLB10-Lichtfunktion D 2not activeParklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re)Enable SSPL for right front headlight.
(9)-Leuchte3SL VRB21-Lichtfunktion D 3not activeParking light rightEnable SSPL for left front headlight.
(9)-Leuchte4TFL LB4-Lichtfunktion D 4Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re)Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re)No change necessary. Already set for SSPL.
(9)-Leuchte5 TFL RB32-Lichtfunktion D 5Parking light rightParking light rightNo change necessary. Already set for SSPL.
(5)-Leuchte8FL LB39-Lichtfunktion B 8Parklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re)not active(Optional) Disable left inner dot and amber side marker from lighting up on single side parking light. Does not affect anything else.
(5)-Leuchte9FL RB2-Lichtfunktion B 9Parking light rightnot active(Optional) Disable right inner dot and amber side marker from lighting up on single side parking light. Does not affect anything else.
(13)-Leuchte20BR LA71-Lichtfunktion F 20not activeParklicht links (beidseitiges Parklicht aktiviert li & re)Enable SSPL for left rear outer taillight.
(13)-Leuchte21BR RC8-Lichtfunktion F 21not activeParking light rightEnable SSPL for right rear outer taillight.
(2)-After-run for park light-Bedingungen zur Standlichtbegrenzungbegrenzen auf Mindestverfügbarkeitnot activeNo timer limit.
(3)-After-run for park light-Bedingungen zur Parklichtbegrenzungbegrenzen auf Mindestverfügbarkeitnot activeNo timer limit.

I've studied the BCM adaptations for many NAR and ROW vehicles, and I believe this is the proper behaviour.

A few notes about the above changes:

• I found channels 2 and 3 to be the ones that controlled the front double-U LED DRLs.
  • Channels 4 and 5 were already coded for SSPL function, but I couldn't figure out what they controlled on my car. I left the adaptations as is.
  • From DV52's giant spreadsheet of BCM adaptations, my car seemed to be the only one with (2)-After-run for park light-Bedingungen zur Standlichtbegrenzung and (3)-After-run for park light-Bedingungen zur Parklichtbegrenzung set to begrenzen auf Mindestverfügbarkeit. This limited my parking lights to automatically shut off after exactly 30 mintues. Figuring out how to remove this limit was the most time-consuming part!

This lead me to wonder about a series of adaptations, named After-run for park light:

(1)-After-run for park light-Bedingungen zur Beendigung des Standlichtnachlaufsnot active
(2)-After-run for park light-Bedingungen zur Standlichtbegrenzungbegrenzen auf Mindestverfügbarkeit
(3)-After-run for park light-Bedingungen zur Parklichtbegrenzungbegrenzen auf Mindestverfügbarkeit
(4)-After-run for park light-Faktor fuer VerfügbarkeitstimerFaktor fuer x5 Minuten
(5)-After-run for park light-Standlicht-Nachlaufzeit255 min
(6)-After-run for park light-Standlicht-Verfügbarkeit6 s

The second and third channels have these options:

• not active - The majority of ROW vehicles were set to this.
  • abschaltbar über Energiemanagement - "can be switched off on energy management"? I saw a 110TSI MY16 with this. Maybe something monitors the battery voltage and shuts off the parking lights before running completely flat?
  • begrenzen auf Mindestverfügbarkeit - Time limit. Several newer NAR vehicles, including mine, were set to this.
  • abschaltbar über Energiemanagement ober üder Zeit - Energy management or time limit.

The time limit ("Verfügbarkeitstimer") seems to be encoded in the next couple channels. My 7R came coded like this:

(4)-After-run for park light-Faktor fuer VerfügbarkeitstimerFaktor fuer x5 Minuten
(5)-After-run for park light-Standlicht-Nachlaufzeit255 min
(6)-After-run for park light-Standlicht-Verfügbarkeit6 s

Ignore the incorrect time unit on the last channel (6). The time limit can be set with the unit and multiplier in channel (4) combined with (6). In the above case, (x5 minutes and 6) = 30 minutes.

I've played around with Verfügbarkeitstimer and it allows you to set a maximum time limit after which the SSPLs will turn off. For example, Faktor fuer x1 Sekunde in (4) and 30 in (6) will have the lights turn off in 30 seconds.

Has anyone else played around with this?

Does abschaltbar über Energiemanagement actually work? I don't know if I have the time and patience to test mine!

What is the functional difference between Standlicht and Parklicht? I thought Parklicht described the SSPLs, but the Standlicht-Verfügbarkeit timer values seems to affect them.

What is Standlicht-Nachlaufzeit and why is there a default value of 255 minutes?

DV52

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=194404
dmc: Excellent write-up. The community's understanding how Leuchte programming works on MQB platform vehicles has been a long and tedious process, but you have added another piece to the jig-saw puzzle - still many more pieces needed!

Don
PS: I think the answer to your last question can be found in the binary equivalent of 255 (which is 1111 1111, or HexFF). That is, the default value for this adaptation channel is nothing more elaborate than simply setting all Bits to the value 1 (I suspect, this being the maximum value allowable for this channel)

Reactions: dmc

dmc

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=8335
Thanks. I owe a lot of my learning and inspiration to the work guys like you and LIJetta18t have done! It's a great community!

ZPrime

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=69222
I hate to dig up an old thread, but... dmc - thank you for this post, it was very helpful, and I wanted to try to give back.

What is the functional difference between Standlicht and Parklicht? I thought Parklicht described the SSPLs, but the Standlicht-Verfügbarkeit timer values seems to affect them.

I did some searching and found a forum where translators discuss details, and someone was asking about standlicht vs. parklicht.
As you thought, parklicht is supposed to refer to the SSPLs.
Standlicht (most likely shortened from standort licht - location light or standpunkt licht - "standpunkt" meaning position, based on my research with Google Translate) is the "side lights" or "position lights" or "standing lights" or "parking lights" or "running lights" (terminology abounds!) - referring to both as a pair.

I wonder if the intent here is for there to be different time limits for parklicht overnight ("lightswitch in P mode with ignition off") vs. the SSPL feature?
But if standlicht overrides the setting for parklicht (SSPL), then I don't know... Maybe the idea is to allow for SSPL to be on a shorter time limit than "parking lights", but if a lower limit is set for "parking lights" then that wins?

I'd love for an actual VW software person to step in and explain why some of these options even exist, when it seems like they aren't even used anywhere...

Last edited:

TBAx

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=287144
Does abschaltbar über Energiemanagement actually work? I don't know if I have the time and patience to test mine!

Yes, it does. Parking lights (position lights active without ignition) will run for as long as possible until the BEM (battery energy management) in the Gateway sends notice that the battery is at low level.

@ZPrime explained it fairly well. In short:
Standlicht comes from "stehen" meaning "standing" an is used to denote the lights that are used to show where the car "is standing"/is positioned right now. Hence it's the same as position lights. Standlicht only is active when the Terminal 15 is on and/or the engine is running.
Parklicht however simply means parking light. The functionality is the same as with Standlicht, it should show where the car is positioned. The only difference is, that Parklicht can be enabled either on both sides of the car (using the rotary light switch) or on a specific side of the car using the indicator lever. Parklicht only can be activated when Terminal 15 is off!
I could explain further, if anyone is interessted

What is Standlicht-Nachlaufzeit and why is there a default value of 255 minutes?

Easy peasy, it is not used in your configuration. You should have set a time-based limit in your "After-run for park light-Bedingungen zur Beendigung des Standlichtnachlaufs" adaption channel. Without this the Nachlaufzeit for the position lights are not regarded, so nobody bothered setting another value at production. Those two channels determine how long after the engine has been switched of the position lights stay active. And it only is evaluated if "After-run for park light-Bedingungen zur Standlichtbegrenzung" is set to be time-based.

Further notes:
The unit "After-run for park light-Standlicht-Verfügbarkeit" being "s" for seconds is also an error in the ROD files. There should be no unit actually, as it is a factor, as you noted working hand in hand with "After-run for park light-Faktor fuer Verfügbarkeitstimer". I guess it comes from an earlier development phase, where it was planned to only have this channel to determine the maximum runtime of the parking light function. Later they noticed, that having this with just seconds is very unflexible [and maybe a bit to granular] and uses to much storage (having one day in this channel would have required at least three bytes). It now requires only one byte, being capped of at FF (255).

FYI, this is the configuration on my German spec. O3 RS
[table="width: 500, class: grid]
[tr]
[td]IDE07470-ENG116719-Nachlauf für Standlicht-Bedingungen zur Beendigung des Standlichtnachlaufs[/td]
[td]abschalten nach der Nachlaufzeit [/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]IDE07470-ENG133381-Nachlauf für Standlicht-Bedingungen zur Parklichtbegrenzung[/td]
[td]abschaltbar über Energiemanagement[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]IDE07470-ENG133380-Nachlauf für Standlicht-Bedingungen zur Standlichtbegrenzung[/td]
[td]abschaltbar über Energiemanagement[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]IDE07470-ENG133382-Nachlauf für Standlicht-Faktor fuer Verfügbarkeitstimer[/td]
[td]Faktor fuer x5 Minuten[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]IDE07470-ENG116720-Nachlauf für Standlicht-Standlicht-Nachlaufzeit[/td]
[td]30 min[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]IDE07470-ENG133383-Nachlauf für Standlicht-Standlicht-Verfügbarkeit[/td]
[td]24 s[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

So settings are:
  • Position ligths (Standlicht) are regulated by battery energy management
  • Position lights (Standlicht) could be running for 30 minutes after the engine was switched off, but it is not regarded, as position ligths are regulated by BEM
  • Parking ligths (Parklicht) are regulated by battery energy management
  • Parking lights (Parklicht) could be running for 2 hours (24 * 5 minutes), but this is not regarded, as parking lights are regulated by BEM

I hope this explains everyting "by example".

Last edited:
Back