Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General thoughts and suggestions on HEX-NET

Ross-Tech Employee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by solomon View Post
    I'd do the Ceylon LED sweep while auto-scanning and go to a slow flash or something when finished.
    AUTO-SCAN IN PROGRESS...

Much cooler than Cylons.

2. Likes jyoung8607, jakematic liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    You've only got three LEDs to work with, but knock yourself out

...and my shame at misspelling Cylon is only matched by my disappointment at not having my turbo cars leap into the air

Richard

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Santos View Post
    Much cooler than Cylons.
    That really depends on which Cylons you mean.

-Uwe-

5. Likes Santos, jakematic, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    The catch with this is it has to be a user-selectable mode somehow, and there has to be a way out of it when that's not what you want it to do, 'cause waiting 3-8 minutes for it to finish an Auto-Scan every time you plug it into a car before you can do anything with it would not be acceptable. We'll have to stew on this...
    Very true. I don't advocate for automatic Auto-Scan being the default, just an option, either configurable or user-triggered with the button. It wouldn't be acceptable to create warnings or disruptions with ABS, airbags, radio, etc without the interface owner specifically wanting and expecting it.

However, you would almost always have time for a VIN/chassis-type peek. If the unit boots up and sees no USB host, you're waiting anyway for:

1. WiFi association
    2. DHCP
    3. Bonjour
    4. Browser-based login, or VCDS Desktop TCP connection

You have the time to do the peek in the background. It adds value. It won't be disruptive to the driver/operator. Why not? I would advocate for this by default.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    To clarify, the HEX-NET does currently beep if there is a kline short, in addition to indicating with the leds.
    I did see mention of that in the docs. I just don't know what you use to make the sound and what it's capable of. I was not inclined to go around putting +12V on random pins to see what happened.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    However, you would almost always have time for a VIN/chassis-type peek. If the unit boots up and sees no USB host, you're waiting anyway for:

1. WiFi association
    2. DHCP
    3. Bonjour
    4. Browser-based login, or VCDS Desktop TCP connection

You have the time to do the peek in the background. It adds value. It won't be disruptive to the driver/operator. Why not? I would advocate for this by default.
    Honestly, the idea our product would start to root around in someone's car immediately upon being plugged in (without explicitly being asked to do so at the present time) bothers me. It's not something we're likely to work in immediately in any case.

-Uwe-

9. Likes jyoung8607, solomon, jakematic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Honestly, the idea our product would start to root around in someone's car immediately upon being plugged in (without explicitly being asked to do so at the present time) bothers me. It's not something we're likely to work in immediately in any case.
    I respect that.

It does, in retrospect, make me wonder how the 10-VIN enforcement model works. If one were to use a 10-VIN unit for work on say, HVAC or TPMS, what happens? Without an explicit peek, you'll only get the VIN on a full Auto-Scan or a manual touch of an IMMO-involved component.

Jason

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    Without an explicit peek, you'll only get the VIN on a full Auto-Scan or a manual touch of an IMMO-involved component.
    Well, without any knowledge of the process whatsoever I would regardless say at that point you've asked the tool to work on the vehicle, so you've IMO given it "permission" to verify the vehicle is one you're authorized to work on. Perhaps a subtle difference, but I can see the rationale.

Knowing Uwe's views on customer service I could speculate on this process more, but won't in order to avoid potential damage from malicious misuse by 10-VIN purchasers...

Richard

12. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by solomon View Post
    Well, without any knowledge of the process whatsoever I would regardless say at that point you've asked the tool to work on the vehicle, so you've IMO given it "permission" to verify the vehicle is one you're authorized to work on. Perhaps a subtle difference, but I can see the rationale.

Knowing Uwe's views on customer service I could speculate on this process more, but won't in order to avoid potential damage from malicious misuse by 10-VIN purchasers...
    My question is kind of twofold:

1) What is the policy? We push people pretty hard in the Phaeton forum to stay legit, so I'd like to be able to address 10-VIN questions.

2) I am a bit mystified how 10-VIN actually works, while NOT simultaneously giving us the value-add of not needing to pick a chassis for Auto-Scan.

These questions arise from confusion, not objection of any sort. If the answer is, "we feel it's important to do nothing at all until explicitly asked under all (default) circumstances", that's reasonable.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm not going to get into a detailed discussion of how we look for VINs to enforce the 10-VIN limit, but I will simply say this: No VIN will ever be counted toward that limit without the user's explicit permission.

-Uwe-

15. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post