Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: General thoughts and suggestions on HEX-NET

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I'll keep playing with it and understand it's a beta product. I still think a Bluetooth option would simplify the connectivity issues.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    No worries, that's what we're all here for.

One thing that I did was to save a Safari bookmarklet to the home screen once I found it - many months ago before the app was done.
    Also have it bookmarked in Chrome - both methods make it easiest to get to in tethered mode.

I expect the app being fixed to work with the hotstpot will happen at some point.

2012 A8L 4.2 Oolong/Titanium. Premium, LED, Driver assist, Rear seat comfort, Dual pane, Alcantara, Panorama

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Furry Hungarian View Post
    I can't think of a scenario where Bluetooth connectivity would be a limiting factor.
    Well, I literally shudder at the idea of trying to get ASAM data downloaded over BT, so to me that's limiting

Quote Originally Posted by Furry Hungarian View Post
    Why not offer both and let the customer choose?
    Complexity - it's hard enough getting the WiFi functionality wrung out. I also think there's not a BT profile that fits well - Uwe seemed to be thinking about SPP (Serial Port Profile) making HEX-NET look like a HEX-CAN-SERIAL. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of lots of choices, but I think Ross-Tech is doing the right thing by getting WiFi to work before worrying about BT possibilities.

If you're only interfacing via the app, I think you're missing one of the big strengths of HEX-NET: that *ANY* browser should work, and BT wouldn't have that ability. While I happen to currently be in the Windoze and iPhone camps, I greatly appreciate open systems that would let me use any device I had handy.

This may be contributing to your pain point with the hotspot too - try figuring out what the HEX-NET's IP address is - on iDevices it's likely to be in the range of 172.20.10.2-172.20.10.15 and it's likely to be unchanged across reboots, so you can probably bookmark that address and use it all the time via the browser instead of the app. Other OSs may allow you to view the assigned IPs and/or make them sticky.

Hopefully Ross-Tech will soon figure out how to get the iOS app to auto-find the HEX-HET on the hotspot and this will get even easier.

Richard

4. Likes jakematic, Uwe, jyoung8607, Eric liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    But I still think the right way to use the device is with the OBD-II extension cable. Putting it somewhere that it's visible means it's unlikely to be forgotten and it also avoids this:

I had left that one in our Touareg; drove to the airport, pulled into a parking space, then stomped on the old-school parking brake pedal in the 7L chassis. CRUNCH. Oops. I've been using extensions ever since.
    I did the same thing in my Touareg with the same result but mine is a cable not WiFi. Can it be fixed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry01 View Post
    I did the same thing in my Touareg with the same result but mine is a cable not WiFi. Can it be fixed?
    Probably. Post up a picture.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Probably. Post up a picture.

-Uwe-
    Thanks for them response Uwe. I own three VAG vehicles and use the VCDS cable quite often and in its current state, it is difficult to connect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry01 View Post
    Thanks for them response Uwe. I own three VAG vehicles and use the VCDS cable quite often and in its current state, it is difficult to connect.
    Looks like you just need the outer part of the nose. That's fairly easy. Please send that pic to Support@... and they'll get you taken care of.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

9. Likes Eric, Dana liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will do that today, thanks.

11. Likes Dana liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I did to remind me:

13. Likes Uwe, NZDubNurd liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by romad View Post
    This is what I did to remind me:
    What if you wish to use it as a flight data recorder?

-Uwe-
    Last edited by Uwe; 04-26-2018 at 04:04 PM.