Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: SpaceX sticks the landing perfectly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jyoung8607 View Post
    If it gets into the first full week of February or beyond, then me and a buddy are going to try to road-trip this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Road trip confirmed!

Silence gives consent.

2. Likes Santos, Eric, Uwe, vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    <====== Jealous!!!!!

4. Likes Uwe, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Road trip confirmed!
    I'm in.

The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

6. Likes vreihen, jyoung8607, Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    <==== Can't go, because of the albatross around my neck plus being out of vacation/sick time from the hospital stay.

I've been to day, night, and an RSLS abort shuttle launches on the KSC grounds, so it is mostly the novelty of seeing Falcon Heavy with the possibility of a spectacular rapid unscheduled disassembly for me.

Viewing tips: Bring binoculars, and leave your camera at home. I watched the first one through a viewfinder, and never got to experience the awe of the actual launch. Other than a selfie or two for posterity, leave SpaceX and Twitter record the launch and just take the whole thing in.....

8. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've been to day, night, and an RSLS abort shuttle launches on the KSC grounds, so it is mostly the novelty of seeing Falcon Heavy with the possibility of a spectacular rapid unscheduled disassembly for me.
    Closest I've been was the Titusville "beach" for a Shuttle launch early in the previous decade -- about 12 miles from the pad. Pretty much the same spot Eric and I happened upon an Atlas-V launch in 2010. Narrative in the Day 4 section of this page.

Viewing tips: Bring binoculars, and leave your camera at home. I watched the first one through a viewfinder, and never got to experience the awe of the actual launch. Other than a selfie or two for posterity, leave SpaceX and Twitter record the launch and just take the whole thing in.....
    I'm going to ignore that advice. I bought binoculars for the above-mentioned Shuttle launch; they didn't do much for me. I'll bring my camera because there is no substitute for pics you take yourself.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

10. Likes jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Narrative in the Day 4 section of this page.
    Damn that was nice... go again? ZZR is always ready and I have lighter colored jeans now
    You ain't metal till you got a clutch pedal

12. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/27/sp...or-february-6/

SpaceX sets historic first Falcon Heavy launch for February 6

Posted 17 hours ago
    by Darrell Etherington (@etherington)

SpaceX has set February 6 as the target for its Falcon Heavy launch, the first ever test flight of the new, high-capacity rocket that the company is building to allow it to send nearly three times as much payload per mission into orbit.

SpaceX CEO Elon Musk tweeted the target date on Saturday, adding that there will be plenty of viewing opportunity for the public from the nearby causeway. The launch will take place from launchpad 39A at Kennedy Space Center, which SpaceX has refurbished and modified for its big rocket – and which previously played host to the Apollo and Space Shuttle programs for NASA.

Aiming for first flight of Falcon Heavy on Feb 6 from Apollo launchpad 39A at Cape Kennedy. Easy viewing from the public causeway.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) January 27, 2018
    The February 6 date was rumored late this past week, and SpaceX had previously said they were aiming to have the launch take place roughly a week after their successful static test fire of the rocket, which took place on January 24. But Musk’s confirmation gives us something to look forward to that’s far more specific.

SpaceX’s first Falcon Heavy flight will be about testing it in real-world flight. The company has done a lot of preparation and simulation, but you can’t know how a rocket’s going to behave in the air until it actually launches. Musk has previously suggested this could end with the rocket exploding post-launch and pre-orbit, but that would still be a major step forward for SpaceX’s heavy booster.

The cargo on board for this mission is a cherry red original model Tesla Roadster – and if things go very well, it’ll be put into a long looping Mars orbit, a nod to everything Musk’s ventures have accomplished thus far, and also what they hope to achieve in the future.

14. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in.
    Sweet! See you down there.

I'm going to ignore that advice. I bought binoculars for the above-mentioned Shuttle launch; they didn't do much for me. I'll bring my camera because there is no substitute for pics you take yourself.
    I have to go with Art on this one. My buddy is into photography and I'll let him do his thing. As for me, I'll let others create the documentary. This is a bucket list experience for me, like visiting like the Transparent Factory. I'm going down there to feel the heat, to listen to twenty seven Merlin 1Ds sing me the song of their people, watch some kickass rocket acrobatics, and generally have my faith restored in the advancement of humanity.
    Silence gives consent.

16. Likes Uwe, vreihen, Eric liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FWIW, there is a plain, ordinary Falcon 9 Launch scheduled for tomorrow, January 30 @ 4:23 PM:
    https://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/l...es-16-govsat-1

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going down there to feel the heat, to listen to twenty seven Merlin 1Ds sing me the song of their people, watch some kickass rocket acrobatics, and generally have my faith restored in the advancement of humanity.
    As a side benefit, you'll have your hands free to run for your life in the unlikely event that the inter-core connecting struts shear at T+10 seconds and send one of the side boosters flying back at the spectators.....