Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: SpaceX sticks the landing perfectly!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One of the comments on the above article sounds almost like Jack wrote it:

WHY ARE THEY STILL USING ROCKETS??? The new technology called a Centrifugal Propeller, will replace rockets. It converts centrifugal force into directed thrust at a right angle to the plain of the centrifuge. It can be powered by a small nuclear reactor like the one made by Candu Reactors, and it looks like (probably not a coincidence) a flying saucer. It continually accelerates and so you will have gravity in your spacecraft while accelerating and decelerating. It will make a trip to the moon, asteroid belt, or Mars, little more than a day trip. And yet this new technology has been largely ignored. I have tried to bring this technology to Spacex but it is impossible to reach Musk or anyone capable of making a decision in that company. I think that I will be trading short on Spacex stocks.
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

2. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you talking about the nuclear-powered squirrel cage blower? Trading short? The exactly 1.00g acceleration curve that defies the speed of light and most other current relativistic physics doctrine? Better be careful. There's space-dwelling sea monsters out there.....

4. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    SpaceX is launching tomorrow evening at 8:00 PM EST from Cape Canaveral. Military payload, first stage return to LZ-1. Should be spectacular to see both the launch and landing at night.....

6. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    SpaceX scrubbed for tonight, something about wanting more time to examine fairing data from a previous launch. They kept the range booked for 8:00 - 10:00 PM EST Friday just in case, but aren't committing to launching tomorrow.....

Post Thanks / Like
    SpaceX is launching at 9:24 AM EDT tomorrow, using for the first time a recycled, er, I mean flight-proven booster *and* a recycled, er, I mean flight-proven Dragon capsule for the ISS milk run:

http://www.spacex.com/webcast

DRAGON RESUPPLY MISSION

SpaceX is targeting launch of the Commercial Resupply Services 13 (CRS-13) mission from Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force station in Florida for 8:46 a.m. PST, or 16:46 UTC, on Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2017, with a backup launch opportunity on Wednesday, December 13 at 9:24 a.m. PST, or 16:24 UTC.

This mission marks the first time SpaceX is flying both a flight-proven Falcon 9 and a flight-proven Dragon spacecraft. Falcon 9’s first stage previously supported the CRS-11 mission in June 2017 and the Dragon spacecraft previously supported the CRS-6 mission in April 2015.

Dragon will deliver about 4,800 pounds of cargo and material to support science investigations aboard the space station. After about one month attached to the space station, Dragon will return with results of earlier experiments, splashing down in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Baja California. You can watch the launch live below and find more information about the mission in our press kit..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    SpaceX is launching at 9:24 AM EDT tomorrow, using for the first time a recycled, er, I mean flight-proven booster *and* a recycled, er, I mean flight-proven Dragon capsule for the ISS milk run:
    They've just pushed, again, to the 15th. But launch fever is never good, always want to get it right.

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/940736321097572352
    Silence gives consent.

10. Likes Uwe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    SpaceX is launching at 9:24 AM EDT PST tomorrow, using for the first time a recycled, er, I mean flight-proven booster *and* a recycled, er, I mean flight-proven Dragon capsule for the ISS milk run
    Fixed that for you.

But that still doesn't entirely make sense, because their claimed 16:24 UTC would be 11:24 EST, which would be 8:24 PST, no?
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

12. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When is Friday's primary launch window?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    D'oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When is Friday's primary launch window?????
    I like this page:
    https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

They claim 1535 GMT (10:35 a.m. EST)

15. Likes vreihen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Siri. Set reminder for 10:25 AM Friday SpaceX Launch.....