Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Enable High Beam Assist- 2016 VW GTI- USA w/DAP

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantacos View Post
    When it actually works, once you push the signal stock forward to turn on high beams is when it would go into effect, yes?
    As I understand it, you have you have the headlight switch on AUTO, and you push the signal forward, yes. You should get the "headlight with an A" icon at the bottom of your display. In my case, the icon appeared for a split second, then it threw up the pictured error. The high beams go back to functioning as normal until I disable/enable "Light Assist" in the Lights menu to reset it.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    When do you get the fault error? As soon as you turn on the high beams?

I just did the coding, everything went fine. Turned on the car, and light assist was checked automatically. Turned on the high beams in my garage, and they came on with no errors. Haven't had a chance to drive yet and see if it actually does anything, but Im going to try to go tonight and report back. Wonder if it actually worked...

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    When do you get the fault error? As soon as you turn on the high beams?

I just did the coding, everything went fine. Turned on the car, and light assist was checked automatically. Turned on the high beams in my garage, and they came on with no errors. Haven't had a chance to drive yet and see if it actually does anything, but Im going to try to go tonight and report back. Wonder if it actually worked...

Awesome! What coding did you use? Are you in US?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbelhumeur View Post
    Awesome! What coding did you use? Are you in US?
    Yep, US. I used the instructions that bbelhumeur posted above (and I think you used as well?). Like you, everything was labeled in the long coding helper.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, US. I used the instructions that bbelhumeur posted above (and I think you used as well?). Like you, everything was labeled in the long coding helper.
    Cool. Can you post an autoscan? Or see if we have the same 09 and A5 modules (see my autoscan on first page)? I can't figure out why this doesn't work unless my 2002 vintage Thinkpad is too slow.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbelhumeur View Post
    Cool. Can you post an autoscan? Or see if we have the same 09 and A5 modules (see my autoscan on first page)? I can't figure out why this doesn't work unless my 2002 vintage Thinkpad is too slow.
    Maybe tomorrow if I have time. I have to boot my computer (mac) into windows, so its a PITA to start up the program. Lemme see if it actually works, I'm going to go for a spin in a little bit.

7. Likes bbelhumeur liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Yeah, so long as you have the "headlight with an A" icon at the bottom of the display staying there, it's working! Mine would give the error right away and the icon would disappear.

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from a drive. I definitely don't have that icon. Do you have a picture of it, by chance? Anyway, nothing happened. Poop.

Have you been able to get that icon?

Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    IT WORKS!!!!

So after seeing your post about the icon, I went back out in my car to try to play with VCDS, but first played with the turn signal stock and realized that I actually do get that icon when its in the normal position (i.e., not high beams). I misunderstood and thought it needed to be in high beam mode for it to come on.

So I took another drive, and of course there were cars everywhere. But I got it to activate high beams two or three times. It seems like its really sensitive to light, so it really only activates if its completely dark with no cars (obviously) or no ambient light at all. Im curious what exactly the threshold is for activation.

Ill see if I can get a scan for you tomorrow. Dinner time for me.

11. Likes bbelhumeur, dmc, Uwe liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    IT WORKS!!!!

So after seeing your post about the icon, I went back out in my car to try to play with VCDS, but first played with the turn signal stock and realized that I actually do get that icon when its in the normal position (i.e., not high beams). I misunderstood and thought it needed to be in high beam mode for it to come on.

So I took another drive, and of course there were cars everywhere. But I got it to activate high beams two or three times. It seems like its really sensitive to light, so it really only activates if its completely dark with no cars (obviously) or ambient light at all. Im curious what exactly the threshold is for activation.

Ill see if I can get a scan for you tomorrow. Dinner time for me.
    So it automatically turns the brights on when you are in "normal" mode and leaves the brights on always in "bright" mode? That doesn't seem good. No way to disable bright lights.