Audi Volkswagen - 2.0L Chain Drive - P0016 Cam/Crank correlation check

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Subject: 2.0L Chain Drive - Cam/Crank correlation check - - - - - > Updated December 2018 - New Photos!

Here is a quick tip for checking the Audi/Volkswagen 2.0L chain drive engines for proper camshafts to crankshaft timing.
- There are known chain tensioner failures, see -- > How The 2.0T TSI Timing Chain Tensioner Fails

1) Verify the number 1 piston is at TDC - (Top Dead Center). You will want to remove the #1 spark plug and verify the piston is all the way up, because the timing marks on the balance/cover could be off. - Yes it is possible to complete a repair without the special timing tools on the first try, I have personally done it, however, the special timing tools will help you so that you do not have to do the job twice.

Note: There is a paint mark at the 12 o'clock position of the crank pulley and a grove at about the 4 o'clock position.
- The timing chain cover has two marks, one at 12 o'clock and one at 4 o'clock, make sure you correctly set these marks, see by the pictures below!

These are 12 o'clock marks on the crankshaft pulley
See the example, click on the picture here --->

4 o'clock marks on the crankshaft pulley

- The pictures here shows the crank timing gear(top/bottom side), notice the design, it is possible the parts could mesh together incorrectly during installation, after a repair.
and

2) Next, remove top camshaft gear cover, front of the engine.

3) Using a dial or digital caliper tool that will measure in millimeters, measure the distance between the top Timing Chain Guide mount 1 and the Intake Cam mark 2.
Specification is 61 to 64mm

4) Using a dial or digital caliper tool that will measure in millimeters, measure the distance between the Exhaust Cam mark 3 and the Intake Cam mark 2 .
Specification is 124 to 126mm

- If the readings are off, suspect there is a concern with the cam/crank timing, typically there should be a fault code for this condition, such as a 16400/P0016/000022 - Bank 1: Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incorrect Correlation .

- Also if there was no prior repairs to this engine, it is possible there is a bigger problem awaiting and immediate attention may be required. Yes, that is a broken intake valve, #3 piston, all the intake valves were bent!.

Ask me how I know this....

-- oh, and there is the 'might as well' factor. . . when and if you have this all apart, check the 'Camshaft Bridge' (part that sends oil to the camshafts), the screen inside can fail and the material can migrate to the cam bearings, possibly damaging the cylinder head.

ref: VW Tech Tip "01-15-08 MIL ON, DTC(s) P0011, P0016, P000A, P0341 and or P052A Stored in ECM Fault Memory"

Camshaft Adjuster Valve - FAILED (The center part should NOT be extended out as seen in these photos!) Dec.2018

Hope this helps,

drpeter

Attachments

• crank002.jpg
    crank002.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 148
  • crank001.jpg
    crank001.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 130
  • pis00121.jpg
    pis00121.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 133
  • cam_screen0012322.jpg
    cam_screen0012322.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 2L_CamCheck.jpg
    2L_CamCheck.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Jack@European_Parts

Gone But Not Forgotten
Professional VCDS User
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=57337
-- oh, and there is the 'might as well' factor. . . when and if you have this all apart, check the part that sends oil to the camshafts, the screen inside can fail and the material can migrate to the cam bearings, possibly damaging the cylinder head.

Yeah I am convinced since the 1.8T introduction of these fine screens, they are the kiss of death!

I remove and never install these screens.
If oil can't get to the component.......... you have way more to worry about in damage, and the engine lacks the obvious service work if they are contaminated.

The benefits of "NSTP" are making a comeback.............!

El Polaco

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=148074
I have a question for the experts. What's the quickest way to safely re-time an engine that's a tooth off after a botched chain tensioner replacement? It looks like the only way is to start over and loosen all chains and realign all the colored links with their marks? Count links, mark with paint? Just trying to fix someone else's screw up without spending the whole day.

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hello,

What's the quickest way to safely re-time an engine that's a tooth off after a botched chain tensioner replacement?

The best/safe way I have found is to follow factory repair manual and 're-time' the engine. That would include verifying TDC 1 and re-indexing the chain, etc...
- Note: Be sure there is no damage to the mating surfaces of the crankshaft parts due to an improperly timing attempt.

- You should secure the crank shaft gear, remove the tension from the tensioner by using the correct tools, see repair manual.

Here are some examples of the factory tools the dealer uses:

T40243 - Chain Tensioner Lever - do not use a long pry-bar, as chain damage can occur!

T10531 - Vibration Damper Assembly Tool

Hope it all works out for you,

drpeter

clyde

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=87104
hi,just came across this thread and fount it very informative.i have the same fault code on a ccz golf 6 engine.replced timing chain ,tentioner ect.new camshafts were also fitted as the lobes had shifted[niticible with the eye]replaced cam and crank sensors too.the vehicle was not running when it came to me so am not sure if fault was present before.have checked and rechecked the timing and looks perfect .symtoms are a rough idle as if it has a racing camshaft fitted.driving the car it feels like the power is all ther.
any help will be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance
clyde

DrPeter

Ross-Tech Employee
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
Hi there,

- Since I have another one of these lovely engines that has failed and a better camera this time around,
I just would like to bring to the attention of the Ross-Tech forum community that the above #1 post has
been updated with some new photos that should be a lot easier to view.

As always, hope this helps,

drpeter

ps... Thanks Dana for the general cleanup suggestions ;)

Grigor

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=118822
Step 1 is not always correct (e.g. the crank sprocket is already off a tooth vs the crankshaft), the correct way to get TDC is to use a dial caliper and measure the actual top dead center of piston #1 (as in the factory manual). Don't ask me how I know :)

As for the tools, I'd say just buy all of them if you are doing this, else pay someone to do it with a warranty :)

Subject: 2.0L Chain Drive - Cam/Crank correlation check - - - - - > Updated December 2018 - New Photos!

1) Verify the number 1 piston is at TDC - (Top Dead Center). You will want to remove the #1 spark plug and verify the piston is all the way up, because the timing marks on the balance/cover could be off. - Yes it is possible to complete a repair without the special timing tools on the first try, I have personally done it, however, the special timing tools will help you so that you do not have to do the job twice.

Note: There is a paint mark at the 12 o'clock position of the crank pulley and a grove at about the 4 o'clock position.
- The timing chain cover has two marks, one at 12 o'clock and one at 4 o'clock, make sure you correctly set these marks, see by the pictures below!

These are 12 o'clock marks on the crankshaft pulley

4 o'clock marks on the crankshaft pulley

Last edited:
Reactions: Uwe

Dmaxison

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=419549
Very good write up. Quick and concise.

Just to add on later generations of EA888 Gen4 1.8T do not have oil screens in the cam bearing bridge. I suspect this is common from this timeframe on forward. So if your fighting P0011 codes you can ignore the bridge.

2017 Golf Alltrack Engine Code CXBB, Re-ringed w/ 54K miles

Dmaxison

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=419549
Very good write up. Quick and concise.

Just to add on later generations of EA888 Gen4 1.8T do not have oil screens in the cam bearing bridge. I suspect this is common from this timeframe on forward. So if your fighting P0011 codes you can ignore the bridge.

2017 Golf Alltrack Engine Code CXBB, Re-ringed w/ 54K miles
Correction Gen3 EA888

Back