Status
Not open for further replies.

buyflyer66

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=264575
:D Hello to All of Us tech junkies and newbies like myself here at Ross-Tech, Happy to be here. :thumbs: Wanted to share why I came to Ross, I purchased Jetta TDi new in 2011, put 205,500 miles on her since new. This past week unknowing that the 4 cyl. TDi VW and Audi A3 diesels have High pressure Fuel pump failures if run past 150-175,000 miles. Did not know this until mine decided to puke internally at 205,500 miles. Thus internal metal from pump failure contaminated the entire fuel system. Towed to dealer not knowing the cause of engine stopping, was informed HP Fuel Pump failure, estimate repair cost at dealer $5100. Since the car not worth more than $7-10K, told dealer I would tow home and repair myself.
My Jetta owes me nothing as you can see with the miles it has done well. But here is the stinker. Ignorance is not always bliss. I have had the VW regularly service at VW in three dealerships across the USA. As I use the car in my work traveling 50K miles a year. Not one dealer ever mentioned when I was up in mileage that I should change the pump out, yet when I got to 80-100K in miles they suggest timing belt. I would have been happy to change the pump out since it's in the same area as the timing belt and driven by the belt.
I say all this because instead of spending $2500 in parts for what happen to me with the failed HP pump, I had to replace not only the HP Pump ($750),but the 4 injectors @ ($300+ each), Common Rail Tube ($275+),In Tank Fuel Pump ($125+),External Boost Pump ($180+), clean out flush fuel tank, clean and flush all related fuel lines and return lines, about 8-15 hours of labor time, while at that replace timing belt,water pump and associated parts ($275+) :banghead:
In summary, since I have the skill to do this kind of work, purchase Ross-Tech Micro-Can so that I could adaptation to VAG-Com about the new injectors and prime system and have a way to check the system.
Word to share if you have a TDi 4 Cyl diesel, Please do yourself a favor Change the High Pressure Fuel Pump before you hit 150-175K miles. Then all you will need to spend is the Pump, if your able to do it yourself, it will take you about 4 hours labor and $500-750 vs. instead $2500-$5000 like I learned the hard way, Only because I never heard that these HP Pumps were an issue. Most failed because of Gas put in tank, or using Bio-Diesel higher than B5 rated. because lack proper lube for the pump.
Happy to be a New-B here at Ross and with the rest of you. If I can share with you more to be of help please reach out. Communications is difference between success and failure. Why I joined up as a Ross-Tech customer
Ric

buyflyer66

Verified VCDS User
Verified
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
C?ID=264575
Often the case, yes.

I really doubt that. Bio-Diesel has excellent lubricity.

-Uwe-

Appreciate the reply Uwe :) It's not a question about the lubricity in general with Bio, it's the lube demands for that Particular HP Pump used, according to industries there seems to be variations of the Bio grade to lub standards. Of course I'm an end user. Would not have any way to compare or see the actual lab specs on these fuels. However there must be a good reason why in USA, it is called out by VW/Audi not to use anything higher than B5 in USA. However I understand in Europe it is no problem to go to a higher grade and there have been and are no issues with using Bio in Europe because it has a different spec standard.
In summary all I can say is this, as an End User here in USA, if you have a VW or Audi, best you not have anything but ULSD #2 Diesel and or nothing more than B5 Bio diesel if your under warranty and you encounter a failure. Because the dealership is required to pull Lab Test Fuel Sample to verify grade, etc. Before VW/Audi will eat your cost to repair. Just going by others have experienced first hand. I understand a lot of the early 2009-2013 HP fuel pump failures were premature because Gas was introduced into the system, etc.
Ric:thumbs:

Eric

Staff member
Ross-Tech Employee
Reaction score
VCDS Serial number
HC800000
I read a long time ago that most BioD in the US is from soybean and most BioD in the EU is from rapeseed (we sure have a ton of that in France), and the euro one was looked upon more favorably. That could explain different lubricating properties. You're probably well aware that VW extended the warranty on some HPFP last summer to 10 years/120,000 miles, but sadly you're well outside of that. Might still give you an option to negotiate some coverage from the manufacturer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back