Thread: HEX NET Compatible with other OBD-2 wifi apps?

New User
    Post Thanks / Like

HEX NET Compatible with other OBD-2 wifi apps?

I'm curious if the HEX NET is compatible with the multitude of data logging apps out there that communicate over wifi.

For example, I currently use a kiwi-2 wifi interface to connect to my A3, and I use DashCommand and Harry's Lap Timer apps for data logging, nice graphical displays for temps, etc. I'm looking to get a HEX NET to get the full power of VCDS (the current apps will read/reset codes, which I use all the time, but doesn't always cut it) but I'd really like to be able to use HEX NET as a replacement for my kiwi and keep using my current apps when I don't need the full VCDS tool. Any chance this is possible? Is there a standard protocol that HEX NET uses that we can cross reference with other apps?

I am thinking I could put in a splitter cable and hack in a selector switch, but that's not nearly as elegant.

Grant

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nope, the HEX-NET makes no attempt to be compatible with other products.

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

New User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response, though I do find that disappointing.

Any thoughts on future development in this direction? Maybe without supporting another interface, it could offer an API for access to basic measurements, etc? It might already be possible, but if the log files were saved in some location that is accessible by standard URL, third-party apps could be developed to read the file as it's being updated and render it for display, or otherwise "do stuff" with it. Maybe just the current row of values -- i.e. the data is polled and written both to the log file and to a temporary value that is accessible as XML, JSON, CSV...

User-defined shortcuts to activate common logging sets?

Basically I'm a big fan of REST data manipulation and could see that as a good way to open the tool up for third parties to add on to it in interesting ways. If I convince myself to buy it, honestly I fully intend to poke around under the hood and see what I can get at, but it's always nice when the developers 'intend' for users to be able to get in there.

Do you have any structure set up for users to submit feature suggestions or bugs (beyond the forum)?

Grant