Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Car Knows When You Gain Weight

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your Car Knows When You Gain Weight

Opinion piece in the NYT by Bill Hanvey, President and CEO of the Auto Care Association:
    Your Car Knows When You Gain Weight

Personally, I think he's exaggerating a bit. How exactly is the car supposed to know when the driver has gained weight? It may be able to measure the front-seat passenger's weight using the Passenger Occupancy Detection sensor, but last I looked, driver's seats didn't have such sensors because the car assumes that a driver is always present. OK, it could base this the total mass of the car, which it could calculate from acceleration vs. power applied, but then how would it differentiate between a weight gain/loss and some change in the amount of crap stored in the trunk?

Then there's this: "Modern cars collect as much as 25 gigabytes of data per hour". I'm sure they generate that much data and more, but I see no evidence that they collect (i.e. store) it, nor is anyone likely to be willing to pay to transmit that much data via the cellular networks.

That said, the point he's trying to raise is valid. Who owns that data? Who should and shouldn't have access to it?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Big Brother Is Watching You". I hate the system of total control...

3. Likes Uwe, NZDubNurd, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Verified VCDS User
    Post Thanks / Like
    car just has to calculate the weight by comparing suspension change between when the driver door opens and closes.

like the remake of 'italian job' figuring out which truck has the gold.

5. Likes Boki Ar, jyoung8607 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
    car just has to calculate the weight by comparing suspension change between when the driver door opens and closes.
    Very few cars have suspensions sophisticated enough to make that possible. Steel springs and conventional shocks still dominate. I suppose ride-height sensors are getting more common though with fancier headlights that need to be aimed dynamically. Question is are they sensitive enough to see a few pounds worth of difference?

-Uwe-
    The engineering problems are likely insurmountable. It would be like proposing to land a rocket booster section on a barge floating in the middle of the ocean.

7. Likes Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I think I will keep the 1996 VR6 GTI, it does not collect data, has no radio and it does not care if I loose or gain weight..

Personally, I would have to say the owner of the vehicle owns the data, it is their vehicle, right? I never signed or seen anyone sign a End-User License Agreement when they buy a new or used vehicle. Maybe that will change?

Maybe in the future there will be an 'opt out' option? but without (hopefully) limiting functions that you have paid for? I may be behind a bit on what is been said and what is happening on this topic, so if I am mistaken, let me know.

Ugh... I just had a thought ... I can visualize manufactures will be injecting personalized advertisements in self drive vehicles of the future...
    ... and these vehicles will be on high speed limited access roads where I can not drive my 'ethanol free dino-fuel' GTI on their 'safe space' roads...

Photo of the driver-less concept vehicle during my visit to: Transparent Factory in Dresden, Germany

See you in the future or maybe in the past, I will be taking the scenic route

drpeter

ps... Speaking of owning... and I want access to my PIN codes! my rides, my pins. Like a radio code right?

9. Likes jyoung8607, Eric, Jack@European_Parts liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPeter View Post
    Maybe in the future there will be an 'opt out' option?
    VCDS owners already have it. "Flight Mode" in the Telematics module.

-Uwe-

NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    That said, the point he's trying to raise is valid. Who owns that data? Who should and shouldn't have access to it?

-Uwe-

Isn't a vehicle considered an unsearchable without lawful warrant or effectively a dwelling & with a title of conformity & as a vessel or traveling "home" & an expectation is achieved, so I'd say what's generated or inside your home or residence or extended dwelling, is your property and subject to privacy rights, how about you?
    Wouldn't the certificate of conformity application be required with lawful public disclosure from the NHTSA, EPA or CARB might shed light on this too, no?
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

12. Likes DrPeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't a vehicle considered an unsearchable without lawful warrant or effectively a dwelling & with a title of conformity & as a vessel or traveling "home" & an expectation is achieved,
    Unless... the 'vessel' is within the jurisdiction of the United States and is on navigable waters of such jurisdiction, then the United States Coast Guard officers "may at any time go on board of any vessel subject to the jurisdiction, or to the operation of any law, of the United States, address inquiries to those on board, examine the ship’s documents and papers, and examine, inspect, and search the vessel and use all necessary force to compel compliance. 14 U.S. Code 89 - Law enforcement

Since Volkswagen Group does not make amphibious vehicles anymore you do not need to worry about the blue lights pulling you over

drpeter

14. Likes Jack@European_Parts, Uwe, PetrolDave liked this post
    NostraJackAss Jack@European_Parts's Avatar
    1001 State Route 17K Montgomery New York 12549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Jack@European_Parts; 05-22-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    European Parts Emporium/Performance / Immobilizer Solutions EPE
    Certified Master Trained NY/BAR/BAD 7076062/ASE/SAE/NASTF Legal Factory Authorized/Licensed GeKo/FaZit # 403738
    Specializing in Custom Services IE: "welding-fabrication" / EPA-SMOG Update or Pass-Thru-Programming / Data Transfer / Immobilizers & OEM Quality Parts
    Above Magic! No Written record, AUTO-SCAN or Appointment = NO HELP!
    www.FixMyEuro.com <<<<<CLICK HERE! or vwemporium@aol.com ( JPPSG & Unverified members need not PM me & Please don't email or call facility for free tech support...use the forum )
    Getting you CONTROL again of your property - TAKE IT! In Conjunction with.........

16. Likes DrPeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPeter View Post
    Photo of the driver-less concept vehicle during my visit to: Transparent Factory in Dresden, Germany
    Wish I'd known you were going. Did you sign up for the good tour? If you send your Phaeton VIN to the right folks (and I would have rented you mine for a day for a beer ) you get an individual owner's behind-the-glass tour, or at least you used to. I should imagine they'd do the same for one of your Bentley VINs though since they were also produced there.
    Silence gives consent.

18. Likes Uwe, Jack@European_Parts, D-Dub liked this post